Question

Make it stop!

• 13 September 2016
  • 25 replies

I understand that some people mistakenly think the "play/pause" buttons on the speakers and the app do just that. They are actually "mute" buttons. I am looking for something that actually turns the system off, without having to unplug my router from the wall. I have hit the fake "play/pause" button. Then I have put in a fake playlist and cleared music from all the rooms. Then I have closed the Sonos app and clicked my desktop to try to make Sonos stop. Then I have disconnected my wireless connection in Windows. Then I have turned off my laptop. I go to use the wireless system on another computer, and it tells me Sonos is "busy." I walk over to my speaker, hit the mute button (the one disguised as a "play/pause" button), and the radio starts playing.

How do you get Sonos to stop? I mean genuinely stop and go away until I come back to it. Is there any way short of unplugging things from the wall? That seems pretty extreme, but nothing else works.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

If the music is not stopping when you hit the Stop button on the Now Playing screen for the Room you are trying to stop, then you are the first person to ever experience this.

PS - Posting the same or similar messages to multiple threads is considered spamming. The Sonos reps will reply when they get a chance, no need to spam thread after thread.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Milwaukee,

The action the button performs toggles the system to a Pause state, strictly speaking, mute continues to play but at Volume 0.

What action are you looking to perform here?

The way Sonos is designed, pausing the music is the same as stopping it. After a few minutes in a paused state, the players go into a standby mode so they're available to play when you're ready to go, and can pick up where you left off if you'd like.

There isn't really a "Stop" button. If you're looking to get the players back to the "no music" state, where there's nothing in the queue, and nothing showing on the controller, you can play a track and then click "Clear Queue" it will stop playing and go back to a view that looks like a unit has been freshly rebooted.
I did not say the music did not stop. It is true that no more sound comes from the speakers. I said the steaming does not stop. You are correct, in that the button works as a "mute." I notice that one of the threads on how to stop playing has the most views of anything I have seen. Many views are well below a hundred, but the still unanswered thread about genuinely stopping the streaming has over three hundred, yet no answer on how to stop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
What audio are you playing where the stream keeps playing while in a paused state?

I'd love some more details here, such as what you're seeing that shows the stream continuing after it's been paused.
Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your reply. I have two objectives.
1) I want to know that my wireless system is not turned on and hooked up to some signal 100% of the time. I find that fact that I can disconnect the wireless from my laptop and then turn off the laptop, and still have Sonos connected, to be creepy and disconcerting. Sonos is hooked up to the web and on my router even when I think it is disconnected. My e-mail does not do that. If I disconnect my wireless from this laptop, and try to send an e-mail, I get an error.I would like to be able to keep Sonos off in the same manner. I want to know when I am and am not connected.
2) I want to be able to connect to my Sonos from another computer using, in this case, the "throw" capability on Sony MediaGo. I can't do that because I am unable to shut down Sonos on the computer that previously used Sonos. In other words, I want Sonos to turn off, and the streaming to stop, so that I can use the speakers from another system. But since I can't with Sonos "busy" I am back at problem one.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Find the IP addresses of your Sonos devices > "About My Sonos System"

http://ip.address.of.player:1400/reboot

Give the Sonos components static IP addresses on your router so you can always know the addresses of the devices to reboot
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the details.

1. The Sonos players connect to your network either through a wired player on the network broadcasting our own wireless to the others, or you can setup the players on your own wireless, and they'll stay connected to that one. The only way to disconnect Sonos from the network is to unplug them. Each Sonos player is a computer with limited features and control, accessible through the Sonos controller app. There's no "off" button.

2. The controller on your computer isn't monopolizing the Sonos components. All Sonos apps can control your players all at the same time. If you have 3 phones and 2 computers all with Sonos software running on them, they can each send commands to your players at any time. The software on each of your phones and computers will show the same status as they function in tandem as controllers. The players themselves do all the music playing and network connecting on their own, the apps don't stream audio to the players.

Sonos is not DLNA compliant which is what I believe the "throw" capability on Sony MediaGo is done through. This means the players aren't likely to show up available on those devices through the Media Go software.

I hope that clarifies some things, but please let me know if I can expand anywhere.
Ryan, here is how I found it was still streaming. I hit the "play/pause" button, which in my opinion is a "mute" button. Then I closed the Sonos app, which is on Laptop A. Then I clicked on the desktop, so that the Sonos did not have a checkmark on it, which I mistakenly had been thinking stopped the app. Then I disconnected Laptop A from the internet and turned it off.

A short time later, I went onto Laptop B. I wanted to play music through Sonos via Sony's "throw" feature. I could not do it, becaue it said Sonos was "busy." Not knowing what else to do, I walked over to one of my speakers and touched the play/pause/mute button. To my astonishment, it started playing! Since the song was Bob Seger "Against the Wind," which I do not own, I knew it was the station I had been streaming and had long since supposedly stopped, closed, disconnected and turned off quite some time earlier.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great. So here's what was really happening on the system.

1. You paused the stream using the controller on Laptop A and turned off that computer.
2. The players went to a paused state, ready to restart whatever was last playing. In this case it was the song Bob Seger "Against the Wind" which you'd told them to stream from a music service. That connection is independent of the controller you used to tell them to play music to begin with. The players themselves linked with the service and retrieved the track.
3. From Laptop B, you tried using Sony "Throw". As I mentioned earlier, Sonos doesn't work with DLNA usually, so you got that "busy" message. It's odd that you even saw the players there at all as an option.
4. You pressed the Play/Pause button on the player and it picked up where you left off at step 2. This play command could have been sent from any of your controllers, or by pressing the button on the unit as you did.
HI Ryan,
OK, I think I somewhat understand your point 2 in your reply above. So here is what I think I will do. 1) Forgot about trying the Sony "throw." While that worked once upon a time with a different computer, I only set it up that one time and never used it regularly. I can do without 2) I will try setting up this other laptop (Laptop 😎 with Sonos at some point. I don't know when I will get around to it. When I lose a couple hours on technical setups, it takes a while to come back.I anticipate quite a few problems 3) Find some way to deal with the "eternal connection."
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
You can do UPnP streaming to Sonos players, perhaps that other computer was using a form of Windows Media streaming to the players beforehand?

As to the "eternal connection," if it helps ease your mind the players do very little on the network that you don't tell them to. And by that I mean they send basic requests to our servers for update music service listings and check for software updates (though they'll ask you to install them). These things use minimal bandwidth and otherwise the only thing they do on the local network is regular polls to the devices to see which players are around and available. They'll also reach out to see if there are Sonos controllers present. It's part of keeping the connections alive to make sure they're ready to go the next time you want to use them.
After reading this thread I'm still not sure that I've read the answer to my question. I want to know:

What action on what app, on which box do I have to take to know that music has absolutely stopped streaming eating up data usage.

I don't care about the "eternal connection" as I understand that basic housekeeping tasks may not necessarily consume large amounts of data. But surely there's a way short of unplugging the CONNECT box from the internet to stop streaming.

Perhaps you answered this already and sorry if I missed it. Thanks in advance for your support.
Hitting the Pause/Stop button, either on the app or the box* itself, will 100% stop the stream.

*Formerly the Mute button on older boxes.
And even on older units the button that looks like a mute button acts as a pause / stop button now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Hitting the Pause/Stop button, either on the app or the box* itself, will 100% stop the stream.

And you can verify that it isn't just muting the stream by having a controller open on a phone, tablet or computer showing the room that is playing (You will see the square stop button). When you press the Pause/Stop button the sound will cease AND the STOP button will become a PLAY button
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Some people get very confused as when they "pause" a live internet radio stream. ... of course the stream doesn't pause. It stops streaming to the speaker but the station lives on streaming to other users. When the play button is pressed it goes back and fetches the live stream. So while your Sonos isn't playing the stream. The stream never stops on the internet (its live). I don't understand how people don't get hat concept. When you turn the radio off in your car the fm station doesn't stop broadcasting and wait for you to turn it back on.

Well, that's comforting. I became concerned because I had "stopped" the music (or at least I thought I had), powered down the patio zone, closed the Sonos app, and powered off the main receiver. Last night, I turned on the receiver, activated the patio zone and WHOA!!!! music immediately began somewhere in the song. That's why I asked how to ensure that I'm not have bytes from Spotify pounding up against the Sonos box eating up bandwidth.
So did you actually hit the stop button? Turning off the app won't stop the stream. Powering down the speakers surely would...wouldn't it?!?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
When listening to live radio like AccuRadio or stations from TuneIn, for example, pressing play/pause does actually stop the audio from streaming to the device. Pressing it again causes the Sonos device to start receiving data from the streaming server again. The speaker already has all of the data it needs to re-connect to the stream, so it is often a lot faster to resume playing than it is to start for the first time. It does not operate like a "mute" function, where data continues to be received and played but with the volume at 0.

When listening to "per-song" radio, like Pandora, Slacker, Google Play, Amazon, etc., pressing play/pause will pause the song in progress. Sonos may continue to download the current song until it is done, but won't proceed with the next song, and pressing play/pause again will pick up right where the song was paused in most cases.
Some people get very confused as when they "pause" a live internet radio stream. ... of course the stream doesn't pause. It stops streaming to the speaker but the station lives on streaming to other users. When the play button is pressed it goes back and fetches the live stream. So while your Sonos isn't playing the stream. The stream never stops on the internet (its live). I don't understand how people don't get hat concept. When you turn the radio off in your car the fm station doesn't stop broadcasting and wait for you to turn it back on.

Thanks Chris. No.... I don't think the Sun stops shining when I close the blinds. LOL. But I get your point/concern. I simply want to ensure that I understand either that I can't stop the Sonos box from being logged into Spotify on my UVERSE connection pulling data whether I'm listening to it or not or how to stop my account from consuming bandwidth.

I hope that clarifies it on my end.
As stated, pressing the Stop/Pause button will stop your Sonos from consuming data. Whether or not we can convince you of this fact is up to you. If you are not convinced, you should probably employ bandwidth monitoring software for your router in order to confirm for yourself. Nothing else will be definitive, especially the fact that you push the button and the music starts up again; for that is a testament to Sonos' buffering and/or look ahead skills, not to something as crude as continuous streaming.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When then pause (stop) button is pressed and music stops Sonos is no longer pulling data. Sonos speakers play direct from the internet not via your controller. So if he speaker is silent (assuming not muted volume down) then it isn't pulling data. The controller app open or closed doesn't effect anything as music data doesn't ever go to the phone via the Sonos application. The Sonos application just directs the speakers as to where to go fetch the music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
And white haven I wasn't singling you out on that stream not stopping part. I have actually seen posts where people question why when they paused an internet radio station that when they unpause It is doesn't continue where they left off.
And white haven I wasn't singling you out on that stream not stopping part. I have actually seen posts where people question why when they paused an internet radio station that when they unpause It is doesn't continue where they left off.

No worries. I've seen those posts too. BTW, when I press the physical button on the box itself the white light flashes but I didn't see any other indication (visually) that the stream was suspended. That normal?

Thank you all for the rapid responses. Please don't take my questions as questioning the answers. As an old electronics/software technician one learns to be careful with "facts and data". Again, thanks for all the responses.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes that is normal. The sound going off tells you. The button used to be a mute button ... years ago and some are still labeled that way. Now when it was a mute button ... then that would have been problem for you as the stream would keep playing. But the button being a mute was removed from all units years ago whether labeled that way or not.

I think you should call it a stop start button more than a play pause button. It's really start stop.