MacOS 11.2 unable to connect to Sonos Five or Sonos AMP using Airplay

• 6 February 2021
  • 10 replies

Badge

Since updating to macOS 11.2 (and on 11.3 beta) i am no longer able to use Airplay to play on my Sonos speakers. What happens is:

• From Mac, open iTunes or other source of audio.
  • Click sound output selector either in app, or from toolbar, or in System Preferences-Sound-Output and select the Sonos speakers.
  • The sonos speakers are visible and able to be selected but the checkbox turns into a spinner sometimes, and in any event no sound is heard on the speakers. Once the output is set back to Computer Speakers it can be heard again.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Badge

I have also reported this to Apple via the Feedback Assistant app.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @markknopper,

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and letting us know about your concern. We appreciate you for sharing your feedback with us. Let me share some information with you.

You can stream via AirPlay 2 on iOS devices like iPhone, iPad, or Mac to stream your favorite music, movies, podcasts, and other audio directly to your Sonos products.  AirPlay is not available on Sonos speakers that are set up as surround speakers. Sonos speakers cannot be used to play AirPlay audio while the source device is on a phone call. When streaming via AirPlay, you can control the volume from the source device. 

To help you out with this, allow me to ask a few questions to isolate the issue.

• Is your Mac wired to your router or WiFi connected?
  • Do you have any Sonos speaker wired to your router? Have you tried wiring one?
  • Do you experience the same if you stream music like from the Spotify app on your MacBook?
  • How about streaming via AirPlay using your mobile device, did you encounter the same?
  • Have you tried rebooting your Mac, all network, and Sonos devices?

Once you have done checking the steps above, start streaming via AirPlay on your MacBook to test. If you're still facing the same, I recommend contacting our support team with your full network setup including the make and model of each device, and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Badge

Mac is WiFi connected. Sonos speakers are also Wifi connected. Streaming from Spotify app on Mac to the Sonos speakers does work. Streaming from my mobile devices using Airplay to Sonos also works fine. Have tried rebooting everything. I have also noted:

• Streaming to Sonos over Airplay from Mac running Catalina works fine. So the problem started with Mac Big Sur 11.2 I believe. 

I will contact support as suggested.

Userlevel 7

Try the solutions mentioned in this article: https://piunikaweb.com/2020/12/25/some-apple-users-facing-airplay-issues-after-macos-big-sur-update-but-we-have-some-possible-workarounds/

I have the exact same problem after 11.3 was installed. Reached out to Apple via Feedback app 

Badge

I also reported to Apple via Feedback Assistant.

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar thanks for sending the article but these didn’t solve my problem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @markknopper, thank you for your response and for updating us. We appreciate your feedback and all your effort in checking for resolution. To further help you out on this, I recommend contacting our support team with your full network setup including the make and model of each device to remotely access your device and perform in-depth troubleshooting. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to provide the best option for you. If you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Badge

I will call Sonos support on Tuesday. At this point I am frustrated and perhaps would not have bought my two Sonos Five speakers if I knew I would not be able to use them with Mac-Airplay.

Any resolution on this? I am having the same problem.