Answered

MacBook Sonos app can't connect to Sonos devices -- but everything else can

Badge
Hi. I have a problem getting the Sonos app on my MacBook to see my Sonos devices. I'm hoping someone in this forum might be able to give me a hint about what's wrong. Details:

1. MacBook has been able to connect/control Sonos devices on this home network before (this inability to connect is recent).

2. I also have Sonos app on other devices (an iPhone, an iPad, and a Mac Mini), and Sonos works fine from all these other devices. I'm able to connect and control Sonos without any problems. The issue is only on the MacBook, as far as I can tell.

3. When the Sonos app on the MacBook prompted me to connect by simultaneously pressing the play and plus buttons on any Sonos device-- I tried that, and it had no effect (still unable to connect).

4. I've double checked the MacBook's network settings and verified the following:
--- MacBook *is* on my WiFi network and *does* have internet connectivity. I'm able to use other services on my home network from the MacBook (such as printing, remote desktop control of Mac Mini, etc.).
--- MacBook firewall settings have not changed-- it's not in "stealth" mode, and Sonos app connections are allowed.

I'm baffled, and would appreciate any hints or suggestions for diagnosing this problem!
Chris
icon

Best answer by ChrisATX 15 February 2017, 18:19

Aha. I didn't realize I had *two* firewalls -- McAfee LiveSafe was also intercepting connections, and it needed to be told that my home WiFi was not "Public". Once I discovered that and changed that setting in McAfee, Sonos controller worked fine. Mystery solved. :cool:

View original

5 replies

Badge
Update: I've rebooted my MacBook, and also un-installed and re-installed the Sonos controller app. No change in results-- still unable to connect to my Sonos devices. :( Would be grateful for any suggestion!
Badge
Aha. I didn't realize I had *two* firewalls -- McAfee LiveSafe was also intercepting connections, and it needed to be told that my home WiFi was not "Public". Once I discovered that and changed that setting in McAfee, Sonos controller worked fine. Mystery solved. :cool:
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hmmmm

A few questions. Are you running the Sonos devices in 'standard mode' using your router's wireless, or in 'boost mode' where you have one device connected to your router. (This enables the Sonos devices to create a mesh wifi connection they use among themselves).

Does your router create multiple wifi segments - with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connections?(Many do this with the same network name)

I wondering if your MacBook may be connecting to the 5Ghz and all the Sonos gear will be on the 2.4Ghz segment and your router may not pas the data between the two.

If you temporarily wire one device to the router, Sonos will set up the SonosNet mode... then if you are on a 5Ghz segment, you can be mostly confident that the router should pass the data from a physical connection ... so it may help eliminate if it is a software/MB issue, or a network one.
Badge
Hi @SHARKB8T. Thanks for the questions, but as you've likely noticed, I resolved my own question just before your post.

I'll answer your questions anyway, as it might be of interest...

All Sonos devices are hard wired to Ethernet, and not using wifi at all. Three of the four are are behind a gigabit switch since they all drive different channels on a single 12-channel Niles amp that drives prewired ceiling speakers throughout the house. I don't need the "mesh" for this application.

And with that question answered, the other questions don't seem relevant, since there is no Wifi involved at all. :-)

Thanks again,
Chris
ChrisATX wrote:

It's not recommended practice to run two firewalls on a computer.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)