Mac: Sonos was unable to add the music folder

• 22 September 2016
  • 19 replies

Hi,

I have a macbook pro which i just updated with macOS Sierra. My Sonos was completely fine and all of a sudden it was unable to access my music library, saved on the macbook in the default iTunes folder. I tried re-adding the default music folder to the Sonos music library, only to get a message saying 'Sonos was unable to add the music folder. The computer "....." cannot be found'. I tried adding the location manually through the second option in the music library settings, and got the same message again. I read a few threads recommending changing firewall settings and restarting the router, but no solution. Any advice?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,

I have a macbook pro which i just updated with macOS Sierra. My Sonos was completely fine and all of a sudden it was unable to access my music library, saved on the macbook in the default iTunes folder. I tried re-adding the default music folder to the Sonos music library, only to get a message saying 'Sonos was unable to add the music folder. The computer "....." cannot be found'. I tried adding the location manually through the second option in the music library settings, and got the same message again. I read a few threads recommending changing firewall settings and restarting the router, but no solution. Any advice?

Hi p.tem,

Please try the steps in this guide and let me know if it helps.

If not, please submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.
Wow! question answered and problem solved in less than ten minutes. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Wow! question answered and problem solved in less than ten minutes. Thanks!

It's good to hear that things are working again. Let me know if you run into any other issues.
Badge +1
Ook dit was weer een probleem gecreëerd door Apple en de Beta versie van Sierra.
Bij mij was het de oplossing door alle WiFI apparaten + modem een keer opnieuw op te laten starten en daarna de MacBook Pro volledig opnieuw op te starten.

This too was a problem created by Apple and the Beta version of Sierra.
For me it was the solution to restart all the WiFi devices + modem once and then start up your MacBook Pro from scratch.
Same problem here and solved with Jeff's guide. Tnx!
I would like to say this was very helpful--I found myself in the same position as the OP, however when I reset the name of my MBP in "Jeff's Guide", the Netbios in the WINS did NOT mimic the name of the computer, so I MANUALLY changed this and voila', worked. Just and FYI.
Perfect
Cannot access the guide !
I get : "Customer Portal is not enabled for this interface."
Don't understand what happened - everything has been working fine for years. I just tried to update the music library because I could not get a proper access to my Synology and now the Mac is gone ...
i am having the same problem, but can't access jeff's guide as it says "Customer Portal is not enabled for this interface." help please. cannot get sonos library to get songs from my mac.
Same Problem here. any chance to get to that guide??
Same also - really frustrated to get "Customer Portal is not enabled for this interface." whenever I click on a link within Sonos community. I have an account and am definitely logged in. Need access to Jeff's guide to figure out how to access music on Mac external hard drive from my Sonos players..
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

We've recently changed domain providers for our FAQs. Some of the old links no longer work. I've updated the link in my post to have the correct address. You can also find the Mac file sharing help guide here.
Hi everyone,
The links in the posts from Jeff S are broken now. If anyone has the instructions for this issue it would be so helpful if you could paste them here...
I'm experiencing the same "Sonos was unable to add the music folder" issue. Unfortunately the links in the set of replies do not work, opening up a Sonos search page. Is there an updated link?
Hi folks,

We've recently changed domain providers for our FAQs. Some of the old links no longer work. I've updated the link in my post to have the correct address. You can also find the Mac file sharing help guide here.
Link takes you to "Please use the search bar above to locate the desired article".
Entering "Mac file sharing help guide" does not work. Suggestions??????
I'll have to guess at what articles he was linking to, but the second one is definitely:

submit a system diagnostic

The first one would probably be:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257
Thanks Airgetlam - Like others I ran into this problem when I upgraded to OS Sierra. I did subsequently find the first article without the link.... while it did not say anything I had not already tried, my computer did finally allow my music folder to reload after I rebooted my Sonos system and modem (and computer) as suggested in one post.
This seems to be a common issue when upgrading to Sierra from earlier OS systems that Sonos recently stopped supporting - it is frustrating that Sonos has not made more of this issue and how to fix it.