Answered

mac sleep - getting library back

• 21 March 2019
  • 7 replies

I searched this topic and could not find the answer. I have a boatload of music that I access from the Sonos app, love that feature. However when my Mac is asleep at night, first thing in the morning I cant' access the library and get errors. After a 5-10 minutes, sometimes as much as 20 minutes, the problem goes away. The first time I followed another thread that said to reload the library, which worked but takes quite a while due to the quantity of music. Is there something I can do to speed up the wake-up process between the app/mac besides deleting and re-adding the libary?
icon

Best answer by controlav 21 March 2019, 14:13

Set the Mac to not sleep fully at night - just get it to turn off the monitor instead. No wake-up will then be required to access the files from it.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Set the Mac to not sleep fully at night - just get it to turn off the monitor instead. No wake-up will then be required to access the files from it.
There has to be a simple set of steps that can speed up the wake up process. I'd rather not have to leave hardware running (even with monitor turned off) if not necessary. Anyone else figured out a way to do this quicker?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
There has to be a simple set of steps that can speed up the wake up process. I'd rather not have to leave hardware running (even with monitor turned off) if not necessary. Anyone else figured out a way to do this quicker?
What happens if you enable 'Wake for network access' in the 'Energy Saver' section of System Settings?
I have that box checked. Thx, Don I'm debating buying an Ipad to be dedicated to the sonos app, but trying to avoid that for now
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have that box checked.
Ah. A half-way alternative is to schedule your Mac to switch on and off at appropriate times at the start & end of the day, in the 'Schedule' section of 'Energy Saver'. At least that way your Mac is not switched on unnecessarily while you're asleep.

I'm debating buying an Ipad to be dedicated to the sonos app, but trying to avoid that for now

I wouldn't buy an iPad for music storage (if that's what you intend). An inexpensive NAS will do the job much better. If you store music on the iPad, you'll only be able to play it when controlled from the same iPad, plus there's an Apple/Sonos bug at the moment that can cause playback of content stored on iOS devices to be unreliable under specific circumstances.
Thanks for the replies, I have debated a NAS for a while, this may push me to do it. Any reason to go better than a basic 2 bay like the Synology DS218j?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for the replies, I have debated a NAS for a while, this may push me to do it. Any reason to go better than a basic 2 bay like the Synology DS218j?
I don't really have any recommendations (I've never bought one), other than you need to make sure that the NAS supports SMB v1 to work with Sonos. Serving music files is really not very demanding on performance, so I wouldn't go for anything luxurious.

Personally, I use a Raspberry Pi (running Samba) with a big memory card, but that takes a little bit of setup know-how.