LPCM update sound drop out?

• 21 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Since this update dropped ive started having random sound drop outs, this happens randomly and i wouldnt say frequently maybe a couple of times in an hour and its only for a fraction of a second but its very frustrating. I can only assume its due to the lpcm update as when i listen to anything from an atmos or digital source it doesnt happen. Was wondering if anyone else had had this or if it were just me. Using through shield and xbox series x

Im using the arc with an arcana, but as it had no problems before this update i can only guess its this.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

HI @Skellionz, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for letting us know about your concern. I understand that you’re experiencing audio dropouts after the update. Let me help you with this. 

Using an HDMI adapter may or may not work with Sonos. It’s a third-party device and in case you will encounter any issues with it, we may not be able to identify the root cause. Let me suggest the next troubleshooting and see if it works for you.

1. Unplug the HDMI cable from the Sonos Arc and the TV. 
2. Unplug the power cable from your TV, the Sonos Arc, and any connected audio source (such as a cable box or video game console). Wait 30 seconds before you plug them back in.
2. Reconnect the HDMI cable directly to your TV and the Sonos Arc. Inspect the HDMI cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.
3. Update the TV’s software (if available)
4. Disable eARC on the TV.
5. Adjust the group audio delay - Settings > System > Tap your Sonos Beam > Group Audio Delay and then choose a delay option.
6. Check for Sonos update - Settings > System > Check for updates.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and run a diagnostic report. Kindly include the confirmation number in your response for us to check. If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Badge +1

Hi there i had already tried unplugging everything. Some of the other things I can't do as for instance my TV doesn't have earc :) anyway here is my diagnostic number 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Skellionz, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. Upon checking the report, there’s no issue found in your Sonos system.

The Sonos Arc can play Dolby Atmos audio. ARC and eARC are protocols responsible for sending audio over an HDMI cable to home theater sound systems like Sonos Arc. Sonos Arc must be connected to HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC to play any Dolby Atmos content. Not all TVs have HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC, so check your TV’s user manual to see which HDMI connections you have. Getting Dolby Atmos audio can also depend on the physical source device playing the content and the format or output must be set to one of our supported home theater audio formats.

McLPCM (Multi-Channel Pulse Code Modulation) is an uncompressed audio format that provides high-quality audio to our eARC supported home theater devices. Currently, the vast majority of devices support up to 8 channels LPCM (5.1 and 7.1 surrounds are the most common). A television with eARC is required to get McLPCM.

Let me share with you the following community threads that may help you out.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-and-xbox-one-6840279

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-and-xbox-x-sound-settings-6845650

We can wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide additional information about this. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.