Loud crackling/popping distortion sound since 10.0 update.

• 12 February 2019
  • 1 reply

I have two Play 5's operating over wifi and everything was working fine until I updated the controller and speakers to version 10.0. Initially, everything seemed to be working ok but a few hours after the update I was playing music through the stereo pair and all of a sudden there was a VERY loud crackling/popping white noise sound that came from the right speaker. The left speaker played the music normally. I stopped the music playback and tried a different station and got the same thing immediately. Then, I tried unplugging everything (including speakers/router, etc) and things returned to normal.

Then a few days later, it happened again. This time, powering off the speakers didn't work. The right speaker was again making the same very loud sound but the left speaker was completely silent. After several attempts at unplugging everything, it continued to do the same thing. Eventually, I powered off just the right speaker and then was able to play music through the left speaker but the volume control seemed erratic. I then powered up the right speaker and stopped/restarted the music playing from the controller and now everything is working again.

Anyone else experience anything like this after the 10.0 update? Seems there is a similar type of post here: https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/1st-gen-play5-popping-after-update-to-10-0-6820256

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there.Thanks for reporting this to us. Unfortunately, it seems this query would best be addressed by another team. I think it might be best that you get in touch with our support team via telephone. They will be able to help you further. Many thanks, we look forward to hearing from you.