Answered

Lost connection with controller

• 15 May 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a very stable Sonos system apart from one repeatable issue which has only become noticed since the good weather has arrived in the UK - Nope, this isn't really a weather related defect! 🌝 My system uses SonosNet to communicate across Sonos Rooms with the Connect and PlayBar connected via Ethernet cables. I have one Play:1 (Garden) which when the weather is nice, I disconnect and place outside temporarily.

Normally if music is playing across all Rooms, when I unplug the Garden Room, it stops playing but the remainder of the rooms continue - Dining Room is the base Room with the other Rooms added to create a whole house group.

I can now reproduce the following:

• Music is initiated via the Android App across the whole house;
  • Unplug Garden Room, music continues on the remainder of the Sonos Rooms for 7-8 secs and then stops;
  • Plug in Garden Room Outside and allow to boot & connect;
  • Open the Sonos App on Android and touch the Rooms Tab. Error message displayed 'Lost contact with the controller';
  • System searches for the Controller, finds it and all rooms are now shown as 'ungrouped';
  • Select Dinning Room and initiate music and then add the other rooms in the house - music plays fine until the Garden Room is unplugged again.
Diagnostics: 891199336
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 17 May 2019, 19:11

Thanks for sharing, UKMedia. Would you mind sending a diagnostic with it playing music when you had grouped everything off of the Dining Room, and then another after playback stops with the removal of the Garden.

When you group everything to a player, and then unplug that player, it's kind of expected to have them drop, because that player is the group coordinator. But unplugging a player in the group that isn't the coordinator shouldn't cause the music to stop.

Also, as a matter of housekeeping, I'd suggest removing the SSID you have for your wireless network, since you're using SonosNet, it'd be better to remove the excess credentials. That's not likely to cause this issue at all, or be related, but just a good step to take.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for sharing, UKMedia. Would you mind sending a diagnostic with it playing music when you had grouped everything off of the Dining Room, and then another after playback stops with the removal of the Garden.

When you group everything to a player, and then unplug that player, it's kind of expected to have them drop, because that player is the group coordinator. But unplugging a player in the group that isn't the coordinator shouldn't cause the music to stop.

Also, as a matter of housekeeping, I'd suggest removing the SSID you have for your wireless network, since you're using SonosNet, it'd be better to remove the excess credentials. That's not likely to cause this issue at all, or be related, but just a good step to take.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, @UKMedia 👋🏼

The first thing that comes to mind is determining who is the Group Coordinator (GC) when we unplug the Garden speaker. If the GC were to be unplugged you'd experience issues pretty similar to what you are describing.

Based on the diagnostic report you've submitted, there are a couple things to address:
  • While your system is set to function in SonosNet, the Garden Play:1 is still having trouble "completing the chain" and is actually connecting to the network via wireless while the rest of the group is functioning via SonosNet.
  • What further exacerbates this, is that the Garden Play:1 was the GC for the whole house group in this diagnostic. I presume this is because it has the best connection to serve the other Sonos speakers in your household when you first start playing audio before removing it from power.

So what now?
I'm assuming this diagnostic was run after you moved the Garden outside. I'd like to see another diagnostic report just before you remove the Garden from power. I'm particularly curious to see what the system looks like before the breakdown and compare it to its end state.

Some other things to try that come to mind:
Remove the wireless credentials from Sonos & Test Grouping
  • Who knows, perhaps by cleaning up the credentials we force Sonos to route data appropriately and make another player the Group Coordinator 🤞🏼
Try removing the Garden Play:1 from the larger group before removing it from power.
  • This should allow the "transfer of responsibility" to happen in a more determined manner rather than scrambling to connect and make things right (while also fighting to get the previous GC back online)
  • In this case, we are checking for controller responsiveness. "Can I watch the whole process happen on my mobile controller while I remove the Garden from power and plug it back in, etc."

Let me know how these suggestions pan out!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi both

Well, I'm embarrassed now as I was convinced that I had already removed the wi-fi credentials and so didn't even check that! 🤐

Once removed the issue has gone away! 😋