Answered

Lost Connection to Beam

Why does my Beam keep getting lost? I am new to Sonos products and rapidly coming to the opinion I should have stayed away. 

I bought a beam to go with my projector and thought I might add more later. So far I find the sound quality really good but the software is far too complex. 

What is worse is my profile keeps loosing the beam. Tonight I am sat here with my phone linked via wi fi listening to music. With the music still playing the software tells me I have no device connected. I have no control over the beam. I follow the instructions which have me turning the speaker off at the power supply and reseting all the connections. Why does this keep happening? 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 7 October 2021, 21:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7

What model router are you using? How far is it from the Beam? When was the last time you rebooted the router? Are you able to wire the Beam directly to your router with an ethernet cable?

My Beam is connected via a wi fi booster over powerline. The router is upstairs. Is a cable connection via power line worth a try? 

Not sure about the router, will check. Its about 4 year old BT. 

Rebooted about a month ago. 

Just done it again. Now I have to re enter the password for my router to reconnect the Beam. 

Going back to my radio. 

My Beam is connected via a wi fi booster over powerline. The router is upstairs. Is a cable connection via power line worth a try? 

Not sure about the router, will check. Its about 4 year old BT. 

Rebooted about a month ago. 

It’s probably related to the powerline adapter - note these type of network adapters are mentioned as being ‘unsupported’ in the Sonos system requirements:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126

Or it might be related to your BT SmartHub, if it’s a v2 Hub? - see this link:

The router says smart hub type A. 

If related to powerline I am not sure how I can fix it. We have stone walls and without powerline boost there will be no wi fi in that part of the house. 

I can’t comment on the BT Hub as I don’t personally use BT as my ISP. The only way I can think to get around the power-line adapter (if that is your issue) is to maybe cable back to the router, that’s if the brick wall(s) are proving to be an issue with either a wireless or SonosNet signal.

Thanks I will try wiring back to the router. 

What confuses me is the beam carries on playing so how can it be loosing wi fi.

Last night I was listening to Radio via my phone. The problem was I lost control of the beam because my app said there were no devices. Yet despite this happening 3 times the beam never stuttered a note. The radio played on. 

Your Beam could be staying in touch with the BT Hub, but the phone may have lost contact with it. The Sonos app is basically just a remote control.

What make of powerline adapter do you use? 

By the way I have a Hub 6A as well, and it mostly behaves itself.

Thanks Ratty

I am on Devola powerline wi fi boosters. The bt wifi does not reach so I put devola boosters around the house and only use that network. The beam is actually connected by devola Wi Fi not by wire. 

I looked at bt whole house but they actually only give you three disc which I dont think will cover my house as all internal walls are stone or brick and we have fire doors on every room. Not good for wi fi.

I am now thinking of getting all my wi fi set up over again. 

Is the Sonos app very sensitive?. I have no trouble surfing the net over my devola and use Teams video conferencing a lot with no problems, so not sure why the sonos drops connection. 

I have experience of various generations of Devolo, and am presently using Magic 1 adapters. Which models are you using? I ask because I’ve seen problems with some of the earlier flavours of Devolo.

Also, what kind of raw data rate are you seeing between your Devolos?