Answered

Lost connection - AGAIN

• 22 March 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is so frustrating. After my last bout of “cannot connect” issues were solved (band steering) I thought I could settle down and just enjoy the music. Oh no that’s not to be. A few weeks back (I suspect after the last update) all my Gen 1 devices (Play 5 x 2 and one Connect) disappeared, leaving just my Play 1 visible. Several router and device reboots later I gave up and reset one of the Play 5s and the Play 1 to factory defaults (bad move - I should have reset the app first). Now I can’t get anything to connect for more than a few minutes, if that, and I’m in an endless loop of app reset, search for existing network, can’t find it, etc. I have one Play 5 (one that was not factory reset) connected to the router via ethernet. This sometimes appears, as does the Connect, but the whole thing is flaky. I managed to get music playing on the Play 5 for a brief time, but now the app can’t find the system again. Looking at my router, its appears that the Sonos products are constantly connecting and disconnecting so that’s probably the issue, but I am lost as to what to try now to fix it. What I’ve done: 

1. Connected a Play 5 via ethernet. Previously all devices were wireless.
  2. Tried reserved IPs. No difference.
  3. Factory reset the Play 1. It did the ‘connect your phone to the device WiFi, set the WiFi password routine’, only to continuously tell me that the WiFi password was incorrect. It wasn’t. 

For now I have given up as I’m about to throw every Sonos device I own off a very high building.

If anyone from Sonos support is reading this, I did manage to get one diagnostic report done during the brief period I had the two devices I didn’t reset connected. #1116522695

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 March 2021, 15:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @JustCroozin 

It sounds as if your system was stable only until the next reboot happened (which would have happened during the update). This is something we typically see with band steering, though the speakers eventually appear, usually. As band steering is presumably not an issue anymore, and you’ve tried wiring a speaker to ethernet, it seems something else is at work here.

The diagnostic you sent was taken only one minute after the speakers showing on it were rebooted, so unfortunately, there’s not a lot of info to go on. Certainly, the issue could be interference - please keep the wired speaker at least 1m (3 foot) from the router. Have you tried wiring another speaker? Does this make any difference?

A couple of points worth addressing:

• Your Play:1 has never been updated to S2, so I doubt the fact that it’s S2 compatible bears any relevance to your issue, and why it was the only room visible.
  • When programming in a WiFi password, your device running the Sonos app must be connected to that same network, and frequency. So if your phone were to be connected to 5GHz, your speaker would report an issue when it tries to connect to 2.4GHz (giving the inaccurate “incorrect password” error you received). Please ensure your phone/tablet is connected to 2.4 GHz when programming a WiFi password.

I recommend you have a read of an article I wrote recently. There’s no specific instructions, but something there might point you in the right direction:

Please also try to isolate any WiFi devices from each other, or other possible sources of interference. There’s a guide on our reducing wireless interference help pages.

Which router do you have? There may be a setting on it that’s interfering with Sonos operations on the local network. We recommend you disable QoS (Quality of Service) functions and any Wireless/LAN isolation options. For wireless settings, 802.11 bg mode and 20MHz width, using channel 1, 6 or 11 is recommended. Smart Setup is best left off, as it’s related to band steering.

My current thinking is that it’s very unlikely that 3 devices would simultaneously develop the same fault, so I can only presume that your issues are either due to router settings, a router fault, or the environment (electromagnetic interference or signal blocking due to the build of your home or range from the access point). If the above doesn’t help you, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team again - they have a multitude of tools and processes to figure out what the problem is, and fix it.