Loss of IR and Audio dropouts when streaming

• 23 December 2021
  • 9 replies

We have just installed a Sonos System for a client in a large house. There are 3 Sonos Amps running ceiling speakers and TV audio along with a couple of Play 1 speakers. After visiting site today we noticed that the IR to the Sonos Amps had stopped working, if we power cycle the Sonos Amps IR control works normally then stops again.

ISSUE 2. We have hardwired one Amp to the router then daisy chained the other two ( looped from one amp to the next ) and disabled Wi-Fi in the Sonos Amps. Everything worked fine for a few months but now they get intermittent audio dropouts and skipping tracks when streaming from any music service, TV audio is fine. Sonosnet is not an option as the house is too large to bounce the signal.

They have submitted a diagnostic - 205459698

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Lee at Emotivv

9 replies

While you wait for a forum moderator, rather than Sonos support, to pick up that diagnostic, I have to wonder if Issue 1 is a result of either weak batteries on the remote, or possibly interference from the TV screen “blocking” a certain amount of the IR getting to the Sonos device. This has been prevalent mostly in plasma screens, you could potentially test by blocking the light from the TV set reaching the IR receiver on the Sonos (a simple 3x5 card would work as a temporary test device).

Issue 2 sounds like rather common IP address issues with the router. You could check that fairly easily by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then rebooting the router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in the Sonos devices. If, after testing, that’s resolved the issue, I’d look in to reserving IP addresses for all standard network devices, including the Sonos, in the router’s DHCP table, something that normally is covered in the router’s manual. 

SonosNet can be extended by the use of a BOOST ( or a speaker) strategically placed. My home in Texas had issues with getting a good signal in the kitchen/breakfast nook from my BOOST connected to my router. I added another BOOST, roughly halfway between the two areas, and cleaned up the signal issues in my kitchen/breakfast nook. 

Hi, thanks for that. The Amps are located in a plant room away from any screens. The IR repeater system also controls the Sky TV boxes which work great so the IR system isn’t an issue. When the Amps are rebooted the IR works fine for a while.

We have checked IP addresses and they are set as static with no conflicts, when we installed it we did them one at a time and set static before moving on.

It all worked fine for a while but now has problems. The only thing that has changed is that they have added the dreaded Alexa Skill and linked their Spotify account in Sonos.

I can understand the possibility of a network issue but the IR failure is suggesting that something else is causing issues.

Merry Christmas.

Any help with this anybody ?

BUMP - We have now disconnected TV audio from the Amps and there haven’t been any audio dropouts when streaming music from Spotify. If we reconnect the HDMI, TV audio works fine but when streaming music from Spotify we get intermittent dropouts, disconnect the HDMI and all is fine….. any ideas ?

BUMP - We have now disconnected TV audio from the Amps and there haven’t been any audio dropouts when streaming music from Spotify. If we reconnect the HDMI, TV audio works fine but when streaming music from Spotify we get intermittent dropouts, disconnect the HDMI and all is fine….. any ideas ?

As a Sonos installer, rather than posting detail here in the user-community, it might be a better option to speak with Sonos Support Staff direct. Here is a link (below) to do that, but you may also perhaps prefer to be on-site, if practicable, to let the the Staff take you through any troubleshooting steps and diagnostic report submissions, if any are required, but maybe give them an initial call.

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

The Amps are located in a plant room away from any screens.

How does the HDMI-ARC get from the TV(s) to the distant plant room? I see figures of 25-50 feet quoted for the maximum cable length.

How does the HDMI-ARC get from the TV(s) to the distant plant room? I see figures of 25-50 feet quoted for the maximum cable length.

We are using HDBaseT extenders ( AV over Cat 6 ) which aren’t an issue as the we have tried the optical from the Sky mini boxes which are in the same room 1m and it still happens.

As a Sonos installer, rather than posting detail here in the user-community, it might be a better option to speak with Sonos Support Staff direct. Here is a link (below) to do that, but you may also perhaps prefer to be on-site, if practicable, to let the the Staff take you through any troubleshooting steps and diagnostic report submissions, if any are required, but maybe give them an initial call.

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

We have been to site many times and phones installer support at Sonos whilst there. It was one of the advisors that mentioned they were aware of this strange issue but at the time of speaking ( a few months ago ) there was no way of rectifying it. We have told the clients they can’t have TV sound through the Sonos system due to these dropouts, thankfully they were very understanding but relieved that they could stream music again. We were wondering if there is a working solution to this yet.

We are using HDBaseT extenders ( AV over Cat 6 ) which aren’t an issue as the we have tried the optical from the Sky mini boxes which are in the same room 1m and it still happens.

If you’re using HDMI-ARC for TV audio, then CEC commands from the TV would control audio volume, rather than your IR repeater setup.

As far as your test via optical cable, are you saying that when the optical cable is connected, you’re getting drop outs when streaming audio?

Also, you stated you’re using 3 amps and a pair of play 1s.  Are any of the amps or play:1s bonded to a the amp connected to the TV for surround sound duty?   Are you getting audio drop outs when the amp connected to the TV is not including in the group currently playing?