Question

losing HDMI ARC connection.

Have isolated to Apple TV. When I lose the audio I have to power off/on my Apple TV and it will restore connection. Have two year old Vizio. Power off Sonos and/ or TV does not have any effect. Same true for unplugging arc hdmi cable. 

ideas or cause?

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @JimWill48, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Regarding your concern about the Apple TV and your Vizio, I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to further investigate what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

1. Diagnostic number
Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @JimWill48, thanks for the update, I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report, Upon checking, I can't see any issues on the Sonos products that you have and the Arc. for further assistance regarding this issue. I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps.  so they can determine, if there is any conflict with the Apple TV, Vizio, and your Sonos products. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

I will call tomorrow. It is 100% repeatable. Must be a handshake timing issue. If I unplug Apple TV and plug back in the audio returns. 

In the meantime, try a power cycle of both the Apple TV and the TV itself.

Power cycle TV has no effect. Unplugging Sonos Arc has no effect. Unplugging HDMI cables has no effect. Only power down Apple TV and power back on works. 

It sure sounds like the communication error is somewhere between the Apple TV and the TV. Have you double checked to see if there are any TV updates from Vizio? I’m running a M701d-a3 with 2.1.18.0090, and have no issues with either a third or fourth gen Apple TV. 

No but I will. 

I have the same issue - my setup is Samsung UN65KS8000, AppleTV (4th gen), Sonos Arc. The only one way to fix this is to unplug the Samsung for 10-15 sec. Then it’ll recognize the Arc again and add it as a sound source

I’d guess that the Samsung either needs an update to its software, or it needs to be rebooted by unplugging both the Sonos and the Samsung from the wall for two minutes , then plug in the Samsung first, then the Sonos. 

Samsung is up to par with the latest software update. Apple TV is latest update, Sonos as well.

Before I narrowed it down to unplugging the TV only, I used to shut down all three - AppleTV, TVset and Sonos Arc from the Power Strip Shut off button.

Not sure then. It sure sounds like an error in the HDMI CEC hub (the TV) not properly staying connected.

Thanks Bruce, I’ll try a few different HDMI cables. It interesting how/when this happens.

I usually notice it when i start watching TV in the evening, the last 3-4 days this has been happening consistently in the evening. I do not watch during the day. 

After I stop watching, there is an alarm that goes off in the morning and starts the Sonos on a radio station. The alarm is set to stop after 2 hrs. Then in the evening the connection is lost.

I just tried to simulate this:

1. Star with the TV and Arc connected
  2. Shut down all the TV, AppleTV and Sonos (stand by)
  3. Turn on a music channel on the Arc
  4. After a few min, i stop the music, and turn on the whole system
  5. The TV still recognized the Arc

I’ll shut down the alarm and see if this is going to happen again tomorrow and will report back.

Emanuil