Losing connection to Spotify

• 24 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi all! So most of the time my system works flawlessely. I can listen to hours of music without any issues.

But then once in a while the Sonos app says “Lost connection to Spotify” and something about encoding. I found several threads about this but not too many recent ones.

So when the app loses connection to Spotify songs wont play. It then skips the track and tries the next one, sometimes this track will play and sometimes not. Sometimes it plays for a couple of seconds and then stops.

During this time i can play Sonos radio without any issues. The only fix i found is to just let the system be for 20-30 minutes or so and then it fixes itself! Feels just like a Spotify hickup somehow? During this last hickup i checked my router and could not see any devices with the same IP. Also, if this would be IP-related then radio wouldnt play.

So i contacted the support and sent them a ticket. They could see interference and advised setting my wifi to channel one wich i did. But i just got this hickup again even though my wifi is set to channel 1.

With this thread i am wondering if i am the only one experiencing this and if the support gets many issues about it? Since the problem goes away automatically after 20-30 minutes i have limited time troubleshooting until it just automatically works again.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

And also, these issues started after the last system update but not sure if it’s related.

Differing streaming companies have differing tolerances for disconnection. It certainly may be so for Sonos Radio and Spotify. I’d probably start off by the simple refresh of your local network, by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then rebooting your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices, wait a couple of minutes, and test. 

And honestly, I’d probably also try setting the wifi channels to either 6 or 11, and doing some testing, if you’re not sure what channels are in use by your neighbors. 

These aren’t silver bullet solutions, though, there are other potentials with less easy fixes. If the above processes don’t work for you, I would recommend that you again submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of getting an interruption, and call Sonos Support to discuss it further.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi and thanks for your reply! Yeah, i tried rebooting everything with no luck. When contacting the tech support he could see that there was a lot of interference on channel 12, the default channel. They said that channel 1 was the one with minimal interference so i switched to that one. Spotify hickups still happen.

I am so tired of this so i will actually try using Spotify connect instead. I’ve done a lot of testing and no issues yet. Sucks that grouping and volume control is clearly better in the Sonos app so i will have to use both, but i always start the song from Connect which seems to work fine.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So i have been playing music via Spotify Connect for 7 days without issues, but today i got a hickup again. Playing through the phone works but songs won’t play or skips when trying to play songs via my Sonos system. Basically the same problem i had with the Sonos app.

Diagnostics: 1674243140

Userlevel 1
Badge

Downdetector shows a lot of reports that there are issues right now with Spotify. However the Sonos page shows no issues with Spotify.

I would suspect the Sonos page shows a fairly simplistic “can i connect” test written by an engineer to ping the server that Spotify has stood up, and likely doesn’t do much in the way of extended testing of a signal. 

Every time I’ve had an engineer write things like that, it’s always been that kind of thing. It’s hard to programmatically evaluate on going “quality of signal”.