Losing Connection to Apple Music

• 16 December 2015
  • 48 replies

I was listening to some of Apple Music's radio stations and all of a sudden it stopped. Every time I hit the play button, I get a message saying "Unable to to play (insert radio station name)" - the connection to Apple Music was lost.

Diagnostic #: 5248190

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

Im having the same issue with my speaker at my office. My speaker at home works fine though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I was listening to some of Apple Music's radio stations and all of a sudden it stopped. Every time I hit the play button, I get a message saying "Unable to to play (insert radio station name)" - the connection to Apple Music was lost.

Diagnostic #: 5248190

Thanks for the diagnostic number, it quickly identified the problem. I can see that there is quite a high level of interference around a number of your components. I would be surprised if you were not experiencing this issue on other services. In any case, I would recommend fixing the channel on your router and any of your additional access points. This will require you to log into it (/them). There's a volume of information available on the web that will help you tackle this. Next, you would need to place your SONOS system on its own independent channel. This should be a minimum of 5 channels away from your home router's channel. Please let me know if you have any further issues.

Im having the same issue with my speaker at my office. My speaker at home works fine though.

Hey there, as you can see, diagnostics can often shed light on these issues. Can you also submit me a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number? You may also wish to consider the above advice that I gave to raziel101. Thanks!
Badge
I'm also having pretty much the same issue. I'm able to listen to Apple music for a half hour or so with no problems. Then I'll get a string of errors that say "Unable to play 'xxx' - the track is not encoded correctly." and "Unable to play 'xxx' - the connection to Apple Music was lost." The only thing that seems to get it working again is to power cycle the cable modem/router. I imagine you are going to tell me that this is an interference issue, and perhaps it is though I don't understand why it only happen with Apple Music on Sonos. Diagnostic #5494527
I am again seeing the same issues, but with absolutely no trouble from my NAS or other internet stations.

At the same time, iTunes downloads are taking more time that usual.

Logic says that Apple servers are acting up again.
Apple support got back to me and had me delete and re add the service in the Sonos controller. Perhaps premature to say that this has solved the problem, but the last fifteen minutes have been flawless.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm also having pretty much the same issue. I'm able to listen to Apple music for a half hour or so with no problems. Then I'll get a string of errors that say "Unable to play 'xxx' - the track is not encoded correctly." and "Unable to play 'xxx' - the connection to Apple Music was lost." The only thing that seems to get it working again is to power cycle the cable modem/router. I imagine you are going to tell me that this is an interference issue, and perhaps it is though I don't understand why it only happen with Apple Music on Sonos. Diagnostic #5494527

Thank you for sending diagnostics. Your system looks good overall, save for some proximity related interference around your wired device. Looks like your suspicions were accurate. Can you please ensure that there is nothing nearby it which may be producing interference? If you move that device around 2 feet away this should resolve that issue. Another possibility is that it is sat on a metallic surface. Is this the case? Part of the reason Apple Music is suffering whilst nothing else is, may be due to the fact that Apple Music is higher fidelity than whatever else it is your are trying to play. Though I could only speculate without knowing what that specifically is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Apple support got back to me and had me delete and re add the service in the Sonos controller. Perhaps premature to say that this has solved the problem, but the last fifteen minutes have been flawless.
I'm interested to see how this pans out. Would you mind keeping us informed? Thank you in advance!
Badge

Thank you for sending diagnostics. Your system looks good overall, save for some proximity related interference around your wired device. Looks like your suspicions were accurate. Can you please ensure that there is nothing nearby it which may be producing interference? If you move that device around 2 feet away this should resolve that issue. Another possibility is that it is sat on a metallic surface. Is this the case? Part of the reason Apple Music is suffering whilst nothing else is, may be due to the fact that Apple Music is higher fidelity than whatever else it is your are trying to play. Though I could only speculate without knowing what that specifically is.

Thanks for the reply Edward. My wired device is a Playbar that sits under my TV. Could the television itself be the source of the interference? The only wireless device nearby is the router. Does it make any sense that the router would be the interfering device? The only way I could really move that would be to unplug the playbar and go with a wifi setup. I'm not sure if that would be better or worse.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Not a problem, Jason. Happy to help. In response to your question, if you have a Smart TV which is WiFi enabled, this may very well be the source of the interference. Is your TV also cabled in? If so, it may be an idea to switch off the WiFi on it, if possible. The router, however, is more likely the source of the interference. How close is the PLAYBAR to your router? What else is nearby, anything at all?
Badge
The TV is an older plasma "non-smart" so there's no wifi there. The router is about 8 feet away from the playbar. It's a combination cable modem / wifi router. Unfortunately, it's locked by my cable company so I can't easily play around with wifi channels or firmware upgrades.

There is also a Blu-ray player near the playbar that has wifi capability, as well as an XBox 360, but those are both almost always powered off. I would assume that they could only interfere when they are powered on, but I guess I could try unplugging them as a troubleshooting step. Our cable box / DVR is also in the same entertainment center with the Playbar, I don't think that sends any wifi signals.
Badge
One other thing... I do have a 2.4gHz wireless phone system in the house, but the nearest phone is in a separate room more than 20 feet away from the Playbar
I'm interested to see how this pans out. Would you mind keeping us informed? Thank you in advance!

Edward, at this time, I can offer only a incomplete answer!
I had two concurrent problems, Apple Music on Sonos and very slow downloads from iTunes with sample tracks rebuffering often. After reviewing my account information, Apple asked me to delete/add the service in Sonos and to sign in and out of iTunes. As soon as I did that, all was well.
Soon thereafter, I had issues with my broadband service where my 8 Mbps is down to 500Kbps or so. Apple Music isn't working well again, but unless the service issues are resolved, I am not able to confirm that the Apple Support fix was durable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The TV is an older plasma "non-smart" so there's no wifi there. The router is about 8 feet away from the playbar. It's a combination cable modem / wifi router. Unfortunately, it's locked by my cable company so I can't easily play around with wifi channels or firmware upgrades.

There is also a Blu-ray player near the playbar that has wifi capability, as well as an XBox 360, but those are both almost always powered off. I would assume that they could only interfere when they are powered on, but I guess I could try unplugging them as a troubleshooting step. Our cable box / DVR is also in the same entertainment center with the Playbar, I don't think that sends any wifi signals.

Thank you for returning to me with the supplementary information. It could be that any one of these devices is generating the interference. I would perhaps recommend unplugging them one at a time, then running the PLAYBAR concurrently, to then see which is the source of the problem. Once you have pinpointed it, I'd be happy to hypothesise a solution. I doubt the DECT phone is the source of the issue, given its distance. However, I would still include this in the list of devices to unplug. Difficult to say how powerful its signal is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Edward, at this time, I can offer only a incomplete answer!
I had two concurrent problems, Apple Music on Sonos and very slow downloads from iTunes with sample tracks rebuffering often. After reviewing my account information, Apple asked me to delete/add the service in Sonos and to sign in and out of iTunes. As soon as I did that, all was well.
Soon thereafter, I had issues with my broadband service where my 8 Mbps is down to 500Kbps or so. Apple Music isn't working well again, but unless the service issues are resolved, I am not able to confirm that the Apple Support fix was durable.

Kumar, thank you for your continued collaboration on this. I understand it is difficult to gauge where the issue lies with a somewhat flakey broadband service. Once you have further ideas as to the efficacy of the fix that Apple have provided, any followup would be more than welcomed! If I can do anything to help in the meantime, please don't hesitate to let me know.
As soon as the external cable fault driven broadband issue was resolved, Apple music was back to flawless performance, but for the reasons posted earlier I cannot say how much of this is due to the Apple suggested solution. But since it was easily and quickly implemented, it might be a useful thing to keep in mind where only Apple Music is affected and all other Sonos features are working fine.

To recap, the Apple support suggested fix was to delete the service and re-add it.
Badge
Edward,
I've run the experiment you advised, unplugging all other nearby electronics one-by-one to try to isolate the source of interference. At this point, I've unplugged everything I can think of to unplug and the issue persists. I've run diagnostics again, with everything unplugged, number 5534898. Can you take a look and tell me if you are still seeing indications of interference?
Thanks,
Jason
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Edward,
I've run the experiment you advised, unplugging all other nearby electronics one-by-one to try to isolate the source of interference. At this point, I've unplugged everything I can think of to unplug and the issue persists. I've run diagnostics again, with everything unplugged, number 5534898. Can you take a look and tell me if you are still seeing indications of interference?
Thanks,
Jason

There looks to be less interference on your latest diagnostic report. How is the system performing?
Badge
Edward,
Thanks,
Jason

There looks to be less interference on your latest diagnostic report. How is the system performing?

It's essentially unuseable. It'll play for about 30 mins, then I get a series of "can't play xxx, it isn't encoded correctly" and "Connection to apple music lost" messages. A complete power cycle will get it running again for only a short time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Edward,
Thanks,
Jason

It's essentially unuseable. It'll play for about 30 mins, then I get a series of "can't play xxx, it isn't encoded correctly" and "Connection to apple music lost" messages. A complete power cycle will get it running again for only a short time.

Hi Jason,

Did the audio drops happen while testing with the nearby electronics off?
Badge
Edward,
Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

Did the audio drops happen while testing with the nearby electronics off?

yes
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi BuffaloJason,

It would be best to continue troubleshooting over the phone. Here's a support ticket: 160309-001803. Please call us up and we'll help get things working. You can find our phone number here.
Badge
Thanks much for the follow-up. I had my cable company come out to the house last week and check to see if perhaps something is wrong with my internet connection. They ran some new lines that improved download speeds and since then, the problems I was having with streaming music over Sonos have not re-emerged. At this point I'd have to say my issues appear to have been network related, and not a Sonos problem. Thanks for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks much for the follow-up. I had my cable company come out to the house last week and check to see if perhaps something is wrong with my internet connection. They ran some new lines that improved download speeds and since then, the problems I was having with streaming music over Sonos have not re-emerged. At this point I'd have to say my issues appear to have been network related, and not a Sonos problem. Thanks for your help.

Hi BuffaloJason,

It's good to hear that things are working. Please let me know if any issues pop back up.
I am having the same problem. Diagnostic 6138495.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I am having the same problem. Diagnostic 6138495.

Hi Pamplemousse, thanks for the diagnostic report.

Based on your player's logs, it looks like this may be an issue affecting multiple music services as well as local network communication. I'm seeing a lot of errors related to Amazon Music and your local library mixed in with the errors from Apple Music. Your local communication between your Sonos units is looking good, there's no wireless information dropping between the BRIDGE and your player. Because of this, I think we should first focus on refreshing the network information Sonos is using.

Please unplug your router for a few seconds and then plug it back in to reboot it. Once it's back up, do the same thing with your PLAY:5. Afterwards, try playing from Apple Music as well as your other music services and let me know if it's still dropping like before. Thanks.