Locks screen sometimes shows Sonos, sometimes doesn't.

• 5 September 2016
  • 21 replies

Badge +1
According to the FAQ:

Once lock screen control is enabled, the controls will display when the iOS device is locked and the Sonos app is open in the background and playing audio.

Lock screen control will not be available if another audio app such as Spotify or Apple Music is playing music, if Airplay or Bluetooth is being used, if VoiceOver is enabled, or if headphones are plugged into the iOS device.

But on my iPhone 5, even under the criteria listed above, the feature is unreliable. Sometimes the app is available from the lock screen, sometimes not. I can't discern a pattern to when it works — appears to be random. But rebooting the devices seems to bring it back.

iPhone 5, IOS 9, Sonos for iOS 6.3.2. Bluetooth enabled but not in use. No other apps, audio or otherwise, running.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It's a relatively new feature so it would probably be helpful to Sonos to submit a diagnostic next time it happens and then post that number here or raise a ticket (On-line or phone)
According to the FAQ:

Once lock screen control is enabled, the controls will display when the iOS device is locked and the Sonos app is open in the background and playing audio.

Lock screen control will not be available if another audio app such as Spotify or Apple Music is playing music, if Airplay or Bluetooth is being used, if VoiceOver is enabled, or if headphones are plugged into the iOS device.

But on my iPhone 5, even under the criteria listed above, the feature is unreliable. Sometimes the app is available from the lock screen, sometimes not. I can't discern a pattern to when it works — appears to be random. But rebooting the devices seems to bring it back.

iPhone 5, IOS 9, Sonos for iOS 6.3.2. Bluetooth enabled but not in use. No other apps, audio or otherwise, running.

Seezee,

The lock-screen controls on iOS can be used by any compatible app on your iOS device, so to take control of them the Sonos app needs to be the app that has focus. So if you open the app and leave it at the front of the iOS screen display and not just running in the background and then lock your phone you will see it has control of the lock screen ... Otherwise it won't.

The feature to use or not use the lock screen controls, are available in the iOS Main Settings ... Just scroll and find the Sonos app in settings and there you will find an on/off button to enable or disable the lock screen controls.
Badge +1

Seezee,

The lock-screen controls on iOS can be used by any compatible app on your iOS device, so to take control of them the Sonos app needs to be the app that has focus. So if you open the app and leave it at the front of the iOS screen display and not just running in the background and then lock your phone you will see it has control of the lock screen ... Otherwise it won't.

The feature to use or not use the lock screen controls, are available in the iOS Main Settings ... Just scroll and find the Sonos app in settings and there you will find an on/off button to enable or disable the lock screen controls.

Indeed, this is happening even under the circumstances you describe. The app is the only open app, is the foreground app, and the lockscreen settings are set to 'on' in the app settings.

Indeed, this is happening even under the circumstances you describe. The app is the only open app, is the foreground app, and the lockscreen settings are set to 'on' in the app settings.

seezee,
What you say may be correct, but iOS only shows lockscreen controls if the app in focus, is actually outputing audio.
If the problem does persist with the audio running then Apple advises closing all apps that are running by sliding them up screen and to reboot the phone using the long press of both the home button and on/off button till you see apple logo appear. After the reboot try again and hopefully the problem will be fixed.
Badge +1
Not much has changed since I submitted this ticket, except now the lock screen player no longer even shows the artist/song/album info, nor does it display the album artwork. Don't know if this is due to a SONOS update or an IOS update.
Seezee, just reread the thread, and I have a question. Have you tried deleting the app from the iPhone 5, then rebooting it, and downloading a fresh copy? I see that you’ve rebooted, but not that you’ve tried a new copy of the app. Just updates of it. Might be worth a test. And which version of iOS are you running?

Unfortunately, I just donated my iPhone 5 so I can’t do any testing.
Badge +1
Hi, Airgetlam,

I forgot to mention I've upgraded to an iPhone 6s. I continue to have exactly the same problems with the app as on the 5. Since it's a new installation & is up to date, it doesn't seem likely that a fresh installation will solve this. I did reboot the phone after posting and the lock screen player started showing the song info again.
I agree on this issue, it is not a phone issue, the player will sometimes show up in the lock screen, but it is totally inconsistent. This is really frustrating. All these uninstall, what is your phone? all these questions, why doesn't Sonos go away and do some testing? we are just the consumer not the problem !!
+1
Lockscreen controls show up inconsistently, even though Sonos app is in foreground when switching off the phone.
Worst thing is that hardware volume controls don't work either.
Sonos, fix this please, you're the A-brand aren't you?

iPhone6, iOS10.3.3
I have recently got upgraded to an iPhone 7 from 5s. This issue is still happening on the new phone. It’s really intermittent. Sometimes I can control in the locked screen, sometimes I can’t. Sometimes when its acting up I will close all apps and have only Sonos open, and it still won’t work when it locks.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Same issue as the OP. I’m using an iPhone X ... latest update.

Anyone found a fix?
Only workaround for me seems to be to force quit the Sonos app and reopen, after which lockscreen controls reappear.

Seems like once another app takes the lockscreen the Sonos app will not take it back even if it's in the foreground. Seems to be true even after all other apps that might be playing video or audio are closed.
I get the lockscreen controls displaying always whether the app is running in the background or not. HOWEVER, within the app you must select a room that is currently playing music before locking the ios device.
Hi everyone!
My wife and I are also experiencing this issue for months. I had it with my old iPhone 6 and now with an iPhone X. My wife is using an iPhone 7.
To me it seems that one action that triggers the problem is when you open Apple‘s camera app while the Sonos lock screen controls are visible. Close the camera again and lock the iPhone. The next time you take a look at the lock screen the controls are gone. Restart the Sonos Controller and it works again.
Can anyone confirm this behavior?
Why doesn’t the Sonos controller show on my iPhone when the screen is locked? I’ve tried everything! Please help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
This is a "feature" of Airplay 2. It was in the read me with the version 9 release. If you have any Airplay 2 devices in your wif fi network it will inhibit lock screen controls. If you turn of airplay on all devices in the house then the controls will work again. There have been a few Aairplay 2 threads on this and no one is happy. We are looking to Apple and Sonos to find a better solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, jfreeman. bockersjv is absolutely correct. Please review this article, wherein it states:

Alert: Changes to Lock Screen Controls for iOS
It will no longer be possible to control your Sonos system from the lock screen of your iPhone or iPad, including use of the hard volume buttons from the lock screen, if you have an Apple TV or other AirPlay-capable non-Sonos devices in your household with AirPlay enabled. It is still possible to use hard volume buttons from within the Sonos App.
Ok, but why? Why are your product features getting worse and not better?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
My understanding is that it came with Apple's introduction of new lock screen behaviour. It goes without saying that it would never be Sonos' conscious decision to deliberately detract from the customer experience. We are aware of the fact that this has influenced customers' system usability in a negative way. I do look forward to a solution being offered, though as we are reliant on one of our partners, I cannot say when this might be. Given that my home has iOS devices in it, I have witnessed the inconvenience of this loss in functionality firsthand... Though I realise this solidarity may be cold comfort. As soon as we have a better alternative, we'll be as keen to roll it out as you will be to receive it.
Can we also get a widget control for the control center? That might be a bit more reliable?