Question

Linking beam to TV

• 27 May 2019
  • 6 replies

Initially set up by John Lewis the beam was set to TV sound. Once we plugged in DVDplayer we can no longer get sound through Beam, although we use it for music and radio. How can iresetit?

6 replies

So regular TV sound doesn't work any more?

I'm going to guess that the normal TV sound does work, and it's only the DVD sound that doesn't, which means that the audio settings on your DVD player aren't set to Dolby Digital.

Unless maybe you moved the cable that you had the Beam connected to the TV with, in order to connect the DVD player. There are some TVs that only have one HDMI-ARC port, so the Beam has to be connected to that port. The DVD would need to be connected to any other HDMI port on the TV set.
Thank you for your help. We haven’t moved the cable so the beam is still in HDMI-arc port. The issue is I now can’t get tv sound through the beam so at the moment we are using tv sound....not as good! Gareth
What brand of TV? Samsung?
You may need to disable HDMI-CEC control for the DVD player. I think this is labelled 'Anynet' on a Samsung TV. (It may not be a Samsung, but I know there have been these sorts of problems with Samsung)
If the DVD is triggering the problem and it can't be resolved by tweaking CEC settings then one of these adapters may be the answer, inserted into the connection from the DVD player.
It may not hurt to unplug the TV from the wall for a minute. When you plug it back in, it will force a new handshake if the HDMI-CEC connection, something that doesn’t occur when you use the remote to turn the TV “off”.