Answered

Line Out Problem with Pro-Ject T1 SB

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

I just got done talking with a rep for over an hour and he decided that my speaker is defected so sonos is shipping me a replacement. Problem is, I don’t understand how my speaker is the problem?  

My line out on my pro-ject t1 phono sb (which I bought from you) stopped working. There is no sound coming from my turntable when it’s on ‘line-in’ on the app. The reason why I don’t think it’s the speaker is because I’ve also tried to play my turntable on other speakers and it also doesn’t work. So, I’m very confused as to why we are replacing the speaker rather than the turntable?  I tried to tell this to the rep, but he insisted it was the speaker.  I’d hate to have to get a new speaker, only to have the problem continue. I’m just looking maybe for a valid answer as to why the turntable wouldn’t be the issue if the line out is clearly the problem?  

icon

Best answer by Mauresi85 3 June 2021, 13:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

The Sonos Support Staff most probably asked you to submit a system diagnostic report and presumably that report showed a fault with your Sonos device. So that device needs replacement.

It could well be the case that the turntable ‘may’ have a fault too (such coincidences can happen, I guess) but you will need to ensure that the receiver device that the TT is connecting to is working perfectly first of all. Then move forward from there.

Was the turntable supplied directly by Sonos too? - Also what were the other speakers/receiver that you tried with your Turntable and was this during your call to support?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the reply,

I tried my Bose revolve… plugged the 3.5 into it to see if it would transmit and music from the turntable.  It worked when I first got the turntable, but didn’t work this time. 
I guess I understand the diagnostic theory, but if the turntable isn’t working in other speakers, it’s hard to blame the five. Obviously the line out is the problem and not the speaker. Just frustrated as I bought this turntable 2 weeks ago. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Also, yea. The turntable was bought through sonos with the Five. (Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB)

Thanks for the reply,

I tried my Bose revolve… plugged the 3.5 into it to see if it would transmit and music from the turntable.  It worked when I first got the turntable, but didn’t work this time. 
I guess I understand the diagnostic theory, but if the turntable isn’t working in other speakers, it’s hard to blame the five. Obviously the line out is the problem and not the speaker. Just frustrated as I bought this turntable 2 weeks ago. 

Where did you purchase the TT from?
Have you tried any other audio line-in source, like an MP3 player (just as an example) on either the Sonos, or Bose, device etc?

It’s not really clear from your posts here so far, what was tested, or mentioned, during the hour+ chat you had with Sonos Support.

Ah our posts crossed, I now see you purchased the TT from Sonos too… but it’s still not clear what occurred during your support call.

Userlevel 1
Badge

We went through the list of everything to try and resolve the issue. Swapped out RCA cables, adjusted the audio delay, compression form app, tried switching from phono out to online out, everything. One weird thing thr rep did mention is that he has me plug my headphones into thr back of the five. He said thr music shouud play from the headphones and not the speaker—that it would automatically detect the headphones… which I’m not really sure about. 
I didn’t test any other source because I really don’t have any other source to play through my five. 
They did say on their end it looked like the line in was working… but no music was coming through. 
Again, being that the turntable didn’t play through another device, I just don’t understand why they would conclude it was my speaker? Lol. 

I would keep the matter simple and just test with a different audio line-in source and then take things from there. If you do get it working then give them a call back to save everyone’s time/trouble.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Update. I found a DVD player it sound comes through the speaker when plugged in. So… not my speaker. 

There you go then, I was going to suggest using a line-out from your mobile or tablet or borrow a device from a friend, but now you have it working with a CD player, you can perhaps give Support a call and give them your update and let them take it from there.

With your turntable, I assume there is a switch to change between phono/line audio out - have you checked that it is set to ‘line’ to enable the pre-amp. Perhaps just try toggling that switch too.

Userlevel 1
Badge

With your turntable, I assume there is a switch to change between phono/line audio out - have you checked that it is set to ‘line’ to enable the pre-amp. Perhaps just try toggling that switch too.

Yes, I’ve tried toggling back and forth. On phono you can hear a little music, but you have to max out volume to hear just a little, and it sounds god awful. Seems like for some reason the line out on thr TT just went out?  Seems very odd after a few weeks lol. 
Thanks for the chat, honestly I’ve been freaking out about this all night and morning. And then sending me a speaker has made zero sense to me. 

As a quick guess it sounds like a faulty pre-amp on the TT, but see what the next Support call achieves. I’m sure the Staff will get it sorted quickly.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks again!  Much appreciated. 

Badge +17

Hi @Mauresi85,

I was able to locate the cases you have open with us internally. I’ve passed this thread on to my colleagues in Customer Experience, who should be directly in touch with you shortly.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Mauresi85,

I was able to locate the cases you have open with us internally. I’ve passed this thread on to my colleagues in Customer Experience, who should be directly in touch with you shortly.

Thank you. I’ll be reaching out to support later today when I have time. 

Badge +17

Hi @Mauresi85,

You don’t need to call in again, someone from our team will be contacting you directly through your open case. However, if you do decide to call in before then, please make sure to reference this community thread as well as the open case you have already.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So, I spoke with a rep earlier this morning who told me that they talked to the fulfillment team and told them to cancel my order of replacing my speaker. I just got an email saying the speaker has shipped lol. So, I will be getting something I don’t need and having to send it back. 

So, I spoke with a rep earlier this morning who told me that they talked to the fulfillment team and told them to cancel my order of replacing my speaker. I just got an email saying the speaker has shipped lol. So, I will be getting something I don’t need and having to send it back. 

That was fast - I guess it shows the level of service that Sonos provide for product replacement under the terms of their warranty.

Anyhow I’m sure these things will all get sorted for you. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Mauresi85,

You don’t need to call in again, someone from our team will be contacting you directly through your open case. However, if you do decide to call in before then, please make sure to reference this community thread as well as the open case you have already.

Hi @James L. , 

Just curious, but it’s been over a day and still no one has tried to reach out to me to get this situation resolved.  Does it usually take longer than a day?  Thanks in advance.  

Badge +17

Hi @Mauresi85,

Hi @James L. , 

Just curious, but it’s been over a day and still no one has tried to reach out to me to get this situation resolved.  Does it usually take longer than a day?  Thanks in advance.  

Hi @Mauresi85,

I checked on the status of your case, and it is with a member of our Customer Experience team. They’re based in the US and operate during normal business hours. I don’t have a specific timescale for you, but that team will typically contact you via email within the next business day, so you can expect it shortly.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Mauresi85,

Hi @James L. , 

Hi @Mauresi85,

I checked on the status of your case, and it is with a member of our Customer Experience team. They’re based in the US and operate during normal business hours. I don’t have a specific timescale for you, but that team will typically contact you via email within the next business day, so you can expect it shortly.

@James L. 

I really appreciate your time and quick response. Thanks so much.