Answered

Line-in on Sonos Five not working with Sony CMT-SX7 cd player

• 24 April 2022
  • 4 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Hi! 

I just purchased 2 fives and would like to be able to use the line-in port to play cds with my Sony CMT-SX7.

I already connected the 3.5mm to one of the 2 fives and the RCA (red and white) to the back of the CD player. However no sound is coming out from either five (set up as stereo). Is this the right setup or am I missing a step? Photos attached.

Also, the setup in the Sonos app looks complete and whenever I play a cd, the Sonos app shows there is signal (the wave icon moves up and down) even though I have no sound at all. 

Any advice is highly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 24 April 2022, 17:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

It doesn’t work because you are connecting a line input to another line input. Ideally you want to connect from a line OUTPUT (typically RCA analog outputs on a CD player) to the Five’s line-in port. The only option you have for your specific model CD player is connecting from the 3.5mm headphone jack on the front of the player to the Five’s line-in port, but you probably won’t get the audio quality you want since the headphone jack is designed to drive headphones.

Thanks GuitarSuperstar! I really appreciate your help. My understanding in the field is quite limited and your reply helps clarify things a ton. So this means that a CD player such as a Marantz 6007 should work? https://www.marantz.com/es-es/product/cd-players/cd6007 (Photos attached)

If so are the two sonos Fives a good match for such CD player or are there any other alternatives you’d recommend to someone not willing to forego of his physical collection? (I grew up listening to them and refuse to burn/turn them into other formats).

Thanks again 

Userlevel 7

Yes, the Marantz CD player will work. You could even use a DVD or Blu-ray player or an inexpensive CD player like this: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08319XH53/

GuitarSuperstar you are the best! I appreciate your time and dedication to my questions. All the best!