Answered

Line-In not working as expected using Airplay

First thing I'd like to state is that the Airplay device works with a standard speaker connected via a jack to my Airplay Express.

I have configured a Sonos Connect called "Airplay", I have connected a Jack from airplay to RCA on the IN on the Sonos Connect. In my environment I also have 3 rooms configured, Kitchen (Sonos Connect -> Amp -> ceiling speakers), Living Room (Playbar and Play:1 x2) and Bedroom (Play3). I want to be able to play music from my iPhone over Airplay to the "Kitchen", I have configured as shown in the screenshot. However every time I close the tab to see if the config has been applied I get an exclamation mark and it doesn't work (see other screenshot). Am I missing something? Any guidance greatly appreciated.
icon

Best answer by pwt 9 January 2018, 12:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

One question first if I may? When you say you want to play your music from phone, you presumably mean for YouTube etc, not just music files or streaming services, yes?
I am not sure if you have seen this?

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1241/~/using-airplay-with-sonos
Thanks @Jon B for responding.

I've seen the URL and followed it to the letter.

I want to use my iPhone as described in the URL, play a podcast or music that's locally stored and then click the airplay button and stream it to my Airplay Express which is in turn connected to my Kitchen speakers,
So may question is... why use Airplay when Sonos can do that anyway?
I bought AudioBridge app for Mac to try to make Sonos to work with Airplay. Do not buy this app. He ignores all my e-mails. I cannot even get refunded...
@John B - if you want to play your native Podcast app which remembers previous location and deletes when its been listened to then the Sonos app is no good, hence the need for airplay. Also when I have guest they can stream their music with ease.
OK. Just checking! Have you tested the line-in by physically attaching your phone and playing through it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@DanielsUK: it sounds like you're doing everything right. Do you get the same behaviour if you try the configuration from the iOS controller instead of the PC/Mac one?
And is your Sonos software fully up to date on all controllers and the system?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Where the line in name says airplay device. Did Sonos just fill that in. Change the name to just airplay and try to save.
@pwt, I tried it through IOS and the config stuck. Looks like it might be a Windows Controller Bug.

Thank you all for your help, problem solved 🙂
That's good. I tried with my Windows controller and settings stuck, so I doubt it is a general bug. Will remain a mystery.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Just use my app - it's free and open source: https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect