Question

Library update performs full scan only

• 23 December 2016
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
For several years my Play5 units have worked fine in conjunction with my NAS. They were set to update the library overnight and I also occasionally did a manual update to include my latest radio podcasts. Both of these would take a few minutes to complete and my library remained accessible during this time.

Recently, for no obvious reason, the update appears to have changed to a full scan which takes more than half an hour every time and which also deletes the entire library for the duration of the scan. This means that I cant play any library items while the scan is ongoing and I have to wait a long time to play a new podcast.

This isnt the end of the world but it's a bit annoying. What can I do to get it back to doing quick updates as before? I had a look through other topics but this doesnt appear to be a common fault. I have tried deleting and recreating all my shares. All my files are accessible and I get no error messages at all.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It was stated in another thread that due to memory limitations, Sonos systems consisting of only older models can no longer determine changed files from unchanged and now must do a complete scan of the library. If you have newer models, the partial scan would take place on them, and then be propagated to the older models.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Wow. That's a step backwards. 😞 Thanks for the info anyway.

If I want to listen to recent podcasts I'll have to start using Foobar as a media server for Sonos, which is what I do for my Yamaha Musiccast amp. It does rather defeat the purpose of having Sonos in the first place though.
Or get a Play:1 on sale. That will take care of the indexing for the older players and it will be back to normal.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Or get a Play:1 on sale. That will take care of the indexing for the older players and it will be back to normal.

That's a possibility but quite a waste of money and electricity to get one just for that purpose (I actually already have one more Play 5 that I dont use regularly at home).

As my PC is on all the time Foobar as a media server does the job nicely, and I have just turned off the Sonos automatic indexing altogether. My other shares change rarely so I can just update them manually when needed.