Question

Library MESS

• 4 August 2019
  • 8 replies

Badge
I have created a library mess and need to be able to print my SONOS music library. (It's a long convoluted story on how I got here.) Is there a way to print the library? I read an old post that said I could go to player IP address but that didn't work for me. All my music is in NAS, if that makes any difference.

8 replies

Hi.. But if your Sonos music library is a mess then it is just reflecting a mess on the NAS. So isn't the NAS the thing to attack?

Or if the NAS is OK why not reindex the Sonos?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Crude but effective way on a PC:
Start up cmd.exe
pushd \\servername\sharename
dir /s > %temp%\everything.txt
popd
notepad %temp%\everything.txt

The old IP address stuff for diagnostics has been removed.
Badge
Hi.. But if your Sonos music library is a mess then it is just reflecting a mess on the NAS. So isn't the NAS the thing to attack?

Or if the NAS is OK why not reindex the Sonos?

Yes; the NAS is a mess and what I'm ultimately trying to fix. The problem is that there are music files on the NAS that the Sonos won't read... WMA lossless. However, there are also regular WMA files that the Sonos has no problem playing. I can't simply sort them in Windows Explorer with a *.wma search. I can figure it out by comparing the Sonos library to the NAS files. Those that don't appear in the Sonos library are the WMA lossless.

And, what exactly is 'reindex'. I'm assuming that's different than updating.
Badge
Start up cmd.exe
popd

I probably needed to me more specific. The NAS is a mess. I'm trying to identify the WMA lossless files on the NAS so they can be converted to something the Sonos will read without having to convert all the .wma files. I have regular and lossless on the NAS. Printing out all the files on the NAS doesn't help because all WMAs lossless or regular basically look alike to all Windows searches. That's my dilemma.

I really, really, really don't want to re-rip every CD. Yes; I know there are many conversion software programs I could use but I swear I can hear the difference between a converted file and a ripped file. I really only want to re-rip the WMA lossless and the only way I've found to find them is that they're the ones the Sonos can't read.

As I said... it's a mess.
Badge
Start up cmd.exe
popd

Oh... and I wondered why I couldn't get to the IP and pull it down that way as mentioned in some old support post. Thanks.
Could you use file size to distinguish lossless and lossy tracks?
Badge
Could you use file size to distinguish lossless and lossy tracks?
Yep; that's the only thing I could think of but was hoping for an easier solution. I still may just screen shot each Sonos Album Library page.

I cannot believe I've made such a mess of my NAS all because my car wouldn't play FLAC. UGH!!

Thanks for taking your time to think about this. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Car wouldn't play FLAC... That brings back memories.

What I did is ripped my library to FLAC but then made a second library in MP3 that our car and laptop could use. Hooked Sonos to the FLAC copy and it is working great. Car gets a thumb-drive copy of the MP3 stuff and if I add albums I manually make the MP3 copy and share it around.