Answered

Let me run my Play 3's on the S1 app / Android 6

• 28 July 2020
  • 5 replies

I just added a Beam to my existing pair of Play 3’s which forced me to upgrade to the S2 app which is no longer compatible with my android 6 phone (wish I’d realised this before I bought it, the info is buried fairly deep in the Sonos site). I'm not so fussed as I will mainly be using the Beam direct via the TV but I can’t control my Play 3’s any more either. I’ve tried:

Installing the S1 app, factory resetting the Play 3’s and re-adding them. Despite what it says here (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US) stating the S2 is NOT required for the Play 3, it refuses to add the Play 3’s as S1 devices, insisting that S2 is required.

Attempting to run the S1 app will only bring up a ‘sorry you need a newer version of android’ screen - upgrading my phone is not an option unless I root it which I’m not prepared to do. The ‘limited functionality’ is just not there at all. What is the point of having a controller for older devices when it won’t work on older OS’s!?

My Play 3’s have worked fine for years - why can we not use older versions of the app??

icon

Best answer by bockersjv 28 July 2020, 11:21

You won’t like this but your best bet is to upgrade your phone.  Android 6 is no longer supported for even security updates which will be why Sonos, and other app developers, will not have been able to support Android 6 for S1 or S2 updates.  Frustratingly, 5 years is a long time in mobile support.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You won’t like this but your best bet is to upgrade your phone.  Android 6 is no longer supported for even security updates which will be why Sonos, and other app developers, will not have been able to support Android 6 for S1 or S2 updates.  Frustratingly, 5 years is a long time in mobile support.

The whole thing is a joke tbh - I can control the speakers from my PC but need the phone app to set them up - I had to use my wife’s (luckily) Android 7 phone to add the Beam + re-add / update the Play3’s. Being held to ransom by Sonos’ built in obsolescence updates has been a problem for ever and this is the last straw for me, going to return it and look for an alternative which is a shame.

I’ve tried installing older versions (via Aptoide) but they just insist on updating as well. Never had any other app behave like this (I’m a software dev myself).

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hmm. Lots of apps do not play on older devices. I recently tried to install Disney+ on my daughters iPad (on iOS10) but it needs iOS 11, so no go.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The whole thing is a joke tbh - I can control the speakers from my PC but need the phone app to set them up - I had to use my wife’s (luckily) Android 7 phone to add the Beam + re-add / update the Play3’s. Being held to ransom by Sonos’ built in obsolescence updates has been a problem for ever and this is the last straw for me, going to return it and look for an alternative which is a shame.

I’ve tried installing older versions (via Aptoide) but they just insist on updating as well. Never had any other app behave like this (I’m a software dev myself).

If your a software developer and are not aware of the importance of app running on supported and secure firmware then I’m surprised, as an IT project manager I am only too aware of this issue and what happens if security patches are not available or s/w and f/w goes out of support.  This is not a Sonos issue this is an industry issue that reckon people keep their mobile phones for between 2-4 years and Android being slightly worse than apple in that loads of Android models will not allow you to upgrade the firmware even the once.

What is a Sonos issue, and I agree with you on this one, is not being able to do all the same functions on the PC/Mac apps as you can do on the mobile.

Another cheap option is an Amazon Fire tablet.  Latest models can be had for  well under £50 during promotions.  Current Fire 7 (2019 model) is based on Android 7 and is £49 in the  UK.

If your a software developer and are not aware of the importance of app running on supported and secure firmware then I’m surprised, as an IT project manager I am only too aware of this issue and what happens if security patches are not available or s/w and f/w goes out of support.  This is not a Sonos issue this is an industry issue that reckon people keep their mobile phones for between 2-4 years and Android being slightly worse than apple in that loads of Android models will not allow you to upgrade the firmware even the once.

What is a Sonos issue, and I agree with you on this one, is not being able to do all the same functions on the PC/Mac apps as you can do on the mobile.

Another cheap option is an Amazon Fire tablet.  Latest models can be had for  well under £50 during promotions.  Current Fire 7 (2019 model) is based on Android 7 and is £49 in the  UK.

I see your point re: security risks in the age of the ‘internet of things’ but some warning from Sonos would have been nice… I do object to the enforced throw-away culture in the phone industry on environmental grounds but that’s a rant for another forum :).

In the end to set my existing speakers up again I ended up running an android 7 emulator on my PC (now there's a security risk.. ;)) and was able to run Sonos 2 on there - crazy.

Tablet sounds like a way forward as been thinking of getting one anyway - cheers.