Lag between zones

• 15 September 2018
  • 34 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Make sure the Sonos Boost and Router are a few feet apart. I have seen two feet suggested but personally I prefer 4 feet. I tend to move my Hue Hub too away from the Boost.

I don’t see why you can’t have the router in the Lounge and Boost cabled to it in the Hallway, if that’s a possibility in your home ... then cable the Xbox to the router like you did before.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
How thick am I ken. I just realised I can have my xbox set up wireless lmao. Owned it for years and never knew lmao
Gazza1977

Whilst there is no problem cabling other Sonos devices direct to the router, I often find just the Sonos Boost cabled by itself tends to work really well, because it starts the SonosNet network signal and the remaining Sonos Speakers just act as stepping stones/receivers for that Signal ...and they sort themselves out, choosing the shortest routes with more than adequate signal strength to perform everything required by Sonos.

The good news there is that the radio Signal is exclusive to Sonos and so other things on the local network don’t get in the way of things... that’s why it’s good to run it on a channel that does not overlap with your router channels ... keep them 5 channels apart for the 2.4 ghz band.

It sounds to me like you are now not too far off resolving your issues here.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hey ken

It now seems all issues are actually resolved the boost is running fine. It has a permanent IP address now. There is no lag on the Sonos system now. And wireless side is good now aswell. Thanks for all your help guys
How thick am I ken. I just realised I can have my xbox set up wireless lmao. Owned it for years and never knew lmao
Isn’t it a hassle though moving all these things around the place and getting them to work .. I really hate it. I’m dreading having to change my old Lounge Sony TV and Home Theatre System etc etc. ... it looks like a huge plate of sphagetti behind the main cabinet unit and I’ve long-forgotten what cable goes where !! ?

Glad everything is now sorted by the way !
@gazza1977 please how did you resolve this issue? Was it the boost that help because I’m experiencing the same issue when I’m listening to Qobuz on Sonos but everything seems fine when listening with Spotify and I prefer the audio from Qobuz. Please advise me on how to fix this annoying lag as music doesn’t play in sync. Thank you.
Hey ken

It now seems all issues are actually resolved the boost is running fine. It has a permanent IP address now. There is no lag on the Sonos system now. And wireless side is good now aswell. Thanks for all your help guys
please how did you fix it? I need help!!
Hey ken

My recollection is gazza1977 purchased the Sonos Boost (though could have used a Speaker instead) and switched his system over to SonosNet and ensured that the SonosNet Channel and the main routers 2.4ghz WiFi channel were least used in his locality and were operating on non-overlapping channels...

So, as an example, his WiFi was running on ‘fixed' channel 6 and his SonosNet channel was set to either channel 1 of 11 and he had just the Boost cabled to the network.

He probably also removed his WiFi credentials in the Sonos App “Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup” and I think reserved all his Sonos devices IP addresses in the main Routers DHCP Reservation Table.
Hey ken

My recollection is gazza1977 purchased the Sonos Boost (though could have used a Speaker instead) and switched his system over to SonosNet and ensured that the SonosNet Channel and the main routers 2.4ghz WiFi channel we’re least used in his locality and were operating on non-overlapping channels...

So, as an example, his WiFi was running on ‘fixed' channel 6 and his SonosNet channel was set to either channel 1 of 11 and he had just the Boost cabled to the network.

He probably also removed his WiFi credentials in the Sonos App “Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup” and I think reserved all his Sonos devices IP addresses in the main Routers DHCP Reservation Table.
thank you so much for your time. You’ve been helpful indeed! I’ll do just that tomorrow. Thanks again.