Answered

Keeps cutting out

Userlevel 1
How can I stop this. Bought $6,000 worth of gear and not working properly.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 11 April 2019, 18:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

178 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@jhcovert Thanks for sending in the report. It looks like your speakers are connecting to your Google Wifi mesh. Your Google mesh has 2 access points running on different wireless channels. This can make it hard for your Sonos speakers to stay in sync.

Normally, I’d recommend setting all of your access points to the same wireless channel, but Google Wifi may not have that feature. In this case you can switch your Sonos system over to the Sonos mesh setup by wiring into the Google Wifi hub any one of your Sonos speakers. If it’s not convenient to move your speaker to the hub a Boost can be connected instead, which would then send a signal out to your other speakers.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Strange isn’t it that it’s always something or someone else other than a glitch in the Sonos apps ... honesty would go a long way ...
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Sorry but I think we’re going to have to agree to differ over Sonos’s reticence to readily admit to bugs in its apps. I went through the whole submitting reports (several in fact) process a few years ago and it was always something else until an upgrade and hey presto it was solved. I don’t think anybody would expect immediate upgrades but admitting there’s a possible problem would go a long way and stop any other nugatory investigation. My network is happily running everything else harmoniously, TVs (including NowTV), laptops, tablets, phones and a Niam Mu-so which works with no problem, even the Sonos app on the MacPro works fine (although there remains the slight annoyance that there isn’t the “play songs from this device” option) so I’m not sure how it can be anything else other than an iOS bug.
Audio keeps cutting out here as well. No recent changes and has gotten progressively worse over the past week. Reference number: 953564960
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So much cutting out on all speakers suddenly. System unusable! Diagnostic 212476280

The streaming data isn't getting to the speakers fast enough. This is likely due to wireless interference from nearby networks running on the same channel as your own. Try changing your wireless network over to channel 11, which is less crowded.

The issue seems specific to the Sonos speakers. I just did a Google Wifi network test and the Sonos speakers are the only ones having issues. Why?

It's hard to say without more in depth troubleshooting. I'd recommend giving us a call. Our phone team can take a deeper look at your network live. You can find our phone number and hours here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Seadawg I’d recommend reaching out to Google to see if there’s a way to set your access .points to the same wireless channel. Otherwise, If it’s not convenient to wire in a speaker,  I’d recommend a Boost. Wiring a Boost into the hub leaves your Sonos speakers wireless, and on their own network. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Feljabu 

As mentioned in the marked Best Answer, you’re best to start a new thread in the Ask a Question section. The community don’t have access to diagnostics, so it’s helpful to explain the issue fully - what you experience, what the source of the audio is, what speakers are affected, what you’ve tried to do to fix it already, what router you have, etc. The more information you can provide, the more help you’ll receive.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @eh.09, thank you for the update and @DCNemesis, welcome to the community.

@eh.09, I’m glad to hear that the Sonos system is now working.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out.

@DCNemesis, the Play:5 is reporting “not enough bandwidth”. I would like you to take a speed test with Speedtest.net and post your results here.

Next, we would need to check for wireless interference; as I can see the Sonos speakers are using the Wifi network.

You could also try to wire a Sonos speaker to the Google main hub if there’s one Sonos speaker nearby it. 

This will create SonosNet for the other Speakers. SonosNet behaves similarly to a Mesh system and only our speaker can connect to it.

Update us with your findings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

used to love my Sonos and now it drives me crazy every day

Your speakers are losing connection to your wireless network frequently. This is likely due to wireless interference. Try changing your router and all wireless access points over to channel 11. Also, there are some great troubleshooting tips in this guide which may help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@jhcovert It’s good to hear that things have stabilized. The wired connection on the node should save you some potential headaches. Enjoy your music!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi there,

If you're having audio interruptions it is likely due to your speakers losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. You have a couple wireless access points running on different channels. This can make it hard for your speakers to stay connected and in sync. Please change all of your wireless access points over to the same wireless channel, channel 11 looks best in your area. Try that and send along a new diagnostic report if any issues remain.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I’ve been having the same issues and it’s been happening over the last couple of weeks. Im also using Google Wifi with Sonos.

Hi there,

When using Sonos on mesh networks like Google Wifi, it's helpful to make sure all of your wireless access points are running on the same wireless channel. When they are on different channels, it can make it hard for your speakers to stay in sync. Another option is to set your Sonos system up in the mesh configuration by wiring one speaker or Boost into your Google Wifi hub. This gives the Sonos system its own network and channel that you can separate from the Google Wifi channels. We recommend using channels 1, 6 and 11 as they do not overlap.

If that doesn't help, submit a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number.
We ended up just wiring the sonos to the main switch and havent had any dropouts so far.

We suspect it was the WAPs havent different channels.

Thanks to everyone help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Why is this happing all the sudden?!! I can't even make it through one song.

My diagnostic confirmation number is: 1463559323.

There are some wireless communication errors showing up between your Sonos units. This is most often caused by wireless interference, and is likely the reason for the cutting out. Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using.

It may also help to look around and in between your Sonos units for any third party wireless electronics which could be causing interference. Common sources include cordless phone bases, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors and wireless printers.
And yet, most of us who answer a lot of questions here are quick to point out when it is indeed a known bug in the Sonos software, such as the current issue with iOS and the lock screen causing skipping. So, yes, it’s strange.
I am having the same issue. Pandora regularly stops in the middle of a song and then starts the next song. I have submitted diagnostics. 807251500 Thanks for any help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You might consider Twitter or Facebook for faster responses than the forum offers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi there,

Thanks for sending in the report. Your Sonos speakers are losing communication with your wireless network from time to time. This is probably due to interference from a nearby wireless network running on the same wireless channel as your main network. Please try changing your main network's wireless channel to 1 and see if things improve.
Audio cutting out playing from NAS
ID: 121141694
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, User738303. Hello, VictoryPerformancePT. Thanks for the diagnostics. They both showed a lot of WiFi interference. This is often the cause of audio playback issues. You may also wish to consider changing your Sonos wireless channel. If those links don't work, not to worry, we can certainly get to the bottom of this for you. Following any further occurrence of this issue or changes in your setup, please submit further diagnostics and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause. Though I do think the solution lies in those articles. Many thanks in advance.
I'm having the same problem, audio recently started cutting in and out. I have one of my Sonos 1 hardwired but its been dropping lately. Submitted diagnostics 389115523. I do have Unify access points.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
lawrencf, this may resolve your issue: Go to Settings, Advanced Settings, Wireless Setup, Do not enter the password, tap RESET. Can you test this for me and try again?
Duplicate post.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-going-in-and-out-6821408
My audio keeps cutting out during every song as well. Diagnostic 739726097