Answered

Keeps cutting out

Userlevel 1
How can I stop this. Bought $6,000 worth of gear and not working properly.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 11 April 2019, 18:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

178 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Feljabu 

As mentioned in the marked Best Answer, you’re best to start a new thread in the Ask a Question section. The community don’t have access to diagnostics, so it’s helpful to explain the issue fully - what you experience, what the source of the audio is, what speakers are affected, what you’ve tried to do to fix it already, what router you have, etc. The more information you can provide, the more help you’ll receive.

Hi, 

Could you please help me out with this one? 250213017

Thanks. 

Thanks Ken, I will try that!

Hi, got some sonos speakers and like others on here they cut out constantly. Incredibly annoying. My diagnostic number is: 784569248

Perhaps see if this helps to improve things for you…

1. Set the main routers 2.4Ghz WiFi channel to ‘fixed’ channel 1, 6 or 11 and set the channel-width to 20MHz
  2. If the above doesn’t help, then Wire just one Sonos device direct to your router. Then go into the Sonos App and do the following two things:
  • Goto “Settings/System/Network” and set the SonosNet channel so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel in Step 1 above.
  • Whist in the Network Settings in the Sonos App, goto ‘Wireless Setup’ and reset/remove your routers WiFi credentials, as these are not required when running your system with one Sonos device wired to the router.

See if that then improves your Sonos connectivity - if not, go back and try a different Router-WiFi/SonosNet channel, but always keep the two at least 5 channels apart.

Hi, got some sonos speakers and like others on here they cut out constantly. Incredibly annoying. My diagnostic number is: 784569248

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Paul_K

Thanks for your response and for updating us. The diagnostic found Error 701 in your Sonos system, this error means that a Sonos speaker tried to play music but couldn’t finish the request. This error is caused by network communication problems, either between Sonos and your router or between Sonos and the internet.

Here are the steps that you can follow and see if it works for you.

1. Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power.
    • Wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power.
    • Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
  2. Wireless interference can cause communication issues between your speakers. 
    • Follow our article on reducing wireless interference to improve the wireless environment
    • Test music playback and observe your Sonos system performance.

If the issue is not fixed after performing the steps above, I recommend contacting our phone support team with your full network setup including the make and model of each device to further look into this. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you. 

Hi @Rowena B. Thanks for getting back to me. The systems are in two locations on two different networks. The one I’m having issues with is Living room. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Paul_K,

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Upon checking the diagnostic, I can see that you have 2 Sonos systems. In the first one it shows your Living Room, on the other system, it shows your Amp Nyrah and Back Corner Floor Speaker. Are these systems in the same location and connected to the same WiFi network? Have you tried to perform the steps we recommended in this thread? If you have gone through all the steps and you’re still having the same issue, I would suggest contacting our phone support team to further assist you with this. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Sound keeps cutting out on Apple TV. It now shows that it is connected to the Sonos on airplay but no sound. Diagnostic number 1514259681

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jfrydesign

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern.

Upon checking the diagnostic, there's an interference in your wireless network that may be caused by wireless congestion or low wireless range and detected an audio dropout in your due to sync errors.

Let me suggest the common fixes for audio interruptions while playing from a music service on Sonos. If you are listening to a different source, see our other audio troubleshooting articles for more help.

1. Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
    • Test playback from your Apple music and observe.
  2. If you have access to your router settings, below are the settings that need to be verified. You can contact your Interner Service Provider or router manufacturer for assistance.
    • The auto channel must be set to Off
    • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)
    • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz
    • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled
    • UPnP should be enabled
    • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n
    • Airtime Fairness should be disabled (if applicable)

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same problem, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to perform in-depth troubleshooting and understand your full network setup. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to provide the best option for you. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Same issue. One speaker (Beam) keeps cutting out while everything else plays fine.

Diagnostic code: 1236765729

@sofiebreyen

Maybe your Sonos devices are exposed to wifi interference, as also suggested by @Rowena B. You can find more info here.

Hi @Rowena B.,

Our system is also cutting out quite frequently. It’s only our Sonos Connect (S2) called “Stue”. I’ve submitted diagnostic #1807649770.

Our Ubiquiti Unifi setup claims that the Wifi connection to that particular device (and the others for that matter) is perfectly fine and stable.

Let me know if there’s anything I can change based on the diagnostic data.

A little update on this: it seems to happen on my other Sonos devices too, which are Sonos One. It seems to only happen using Spotify though, and I haven’t seen it happen with Radio.net for example. 

Hi @Rowena B.,

Our system is also cutting out quite frequently. It’s only our Sonos Connect (S2) called “Stue”. I’ve submitted diagnostic #1807649770.

Our Ubiquiti Unifi setup claims that the Wifi connection to that particular device (and the others for that matter) is perfectly fine and stable.

Let me know if there’s anything I can change based on the diagnostic data.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @sollason7`, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me help you with this. 

Upon checking the report, there’s no issue found in your Sonos system that might be causing the audio to stop or skip. Let me suggest the next troubleshooting and see if it works for you. 

• Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • In the Sonos app > Settings > System > Network > SonosNet Channel > Change the wireless > Set it to channel 6
    • Re-check Sonos' performance.
  • Identify devices that may be causing the interference
    • Move away from the devices from your Sonos speakers or turn them off. Check Sonos if there's an improvement with the performance.
    • Relocate the affected speaker(s) to determine if it is a wireless range issue.

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same problem, please contact our Sonos Customer Care support to perform in-depth troubleshooting and understand your full network setup. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to address the issue. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Badge

I have 2 wall speakers, and they are connected with to the Sonos Amp. I have them hard wired into a switch that goes into the router. The sound cuts out every few minutes for 2 seconds. I tried wireless and hard wired. Any Ideas? Here is my diagnostic code: 142509174

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @bminno9, thank you for reaching back to the Sonos community. I  appreciate you for describing the issue and for providing the diagnostic. Let me check it for you.

Looking at the diagnostic, an audio dropout due to sync errors and was detected in your Sonos system.

First, I'd like to ask questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. Do you experience the same on other music services?
2. On which speaker do you experience the issue? All or specific? 
3. Do you experience the same if you play music directly from the Music service app? AirPlay?

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting and see if it works for you.

1. If you have access to your router settings, below are the settings that need to be verified. You can contact your Interner Service Provider or router manufacturer for assistance.
    • The auto channel must be set to Off
    • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)
    • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz
    • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled
    • UPnP should be enabled
    • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n
    • Airtime Fairness should be disabled (if applicable)
  2. Identify devices that may be causing the interference
    • Move away from the devices from your Sonos speakers or turn them off. Check Sonos if there's an improvement with the performance.
  3. Hardwire one of your speakers to the router and re-check Sonos’ performance.
  4. Relocate the affected speaker(s) to determine if it is a wireless range issue.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and submit another diagnostic report for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Diagnostic report: 1962036361

My beam has started to play up again. Keeps on cutting out when listening to music through iPad and also through the record player. I had the same issues a while back and thought I’d fixed it. I’d moved the router away and set it to a wireless setup and changed the channel to 11. 

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Brendan

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Emzs, thank you for your reply and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me check it for you.

Based on the diagnostic, there's interference in your wireless network that may be caused by wireless congestion. This is a network-related issue that is causing your Sonos system to experience audio cut outs.

Also, upon checking your Sonos system is already updated. You may just need to refresh the connection of your devices. Let me suggest the following basic troubleshooting to address your concern.

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
1. Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
2. Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
3. Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
4. When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
5. Play music from your music service to test.

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same problem, hardwire one of your speakers to your router and observe your Sonos system. Please submit another diagnostic for us to check if the errors have been cleared out.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

You're always welcome here.

Sometimes the beam will get very quiet and sound muffled, as well as the SL’s will cut out, even the ones not connected to the beam. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

@c.s and @dmcgruther, thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for sending the diagnostic reports and letting us know about your concern.  Let me help you and figure out what's happening.

Upon checking the diagnostics, I also see a communication problem between your Sonos speakers and your network.

First I'd like to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. Any changes happened before this issue occur? Have you been experienced this issue since the first time you set it up?
2. I'd like to know if you already performed a sequential reboot with your network and Sonos devices?
3. Do you also experience the issue on a specific music service or on other music services?
4. Have you tried moving your speakers close to the router? Is there any improvement?
5. How about wiring your speakers directly to the router? Did you still experience the same issue?

If checking the inquiries above and you're still facing the same issue, please submit another diagnostic report to further check on this. 

We’ll wait for your reply.

Also having the same issue. I have to go back into the app and restart the playback. I have confirmed that the internet and wifi is not having an issue at the time of the interruption. Diagnostic report 1594855596

We have 2 speakers - sometimes one will drop out and sometimes both.

Diagnostic - 1729739496

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @LINZ., welcome to the Sonos Community, and thank you for providing the diagnostic for us to check. Let me help you and figure out what's happening.

Upon checking, there's a communication problem between your Sonos speakers and your network. Your Sonos speakers have been up for 29 days. To address this, the next step is to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection.

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.

• Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
  • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.

If after rebooting your network and Sonos devices and you're still experiencing the same, please submit a diagnostic report and post here the confirmation number. If you can let us the detail of your concern for us to understand what’s happening, that would be great. Also, kindly provide your full network setup including the make and model for each device to further assist you on this.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. 

928393154 diagnostic