Answered

Keeps cutting out

Userlevel 1
How can I stop this. Bought $6,000 worth of gear and not working properly.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 11 April 2019, 18:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

178 replies

I am having the same issues. It is very frustrating. Here is my diagnostic number

Your confirmation number is: 1366891345

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @hypejones21,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your diagnostic report.

Is there a Sonos Product near enough to your main Netgear router to wire in with an Ethernet cable?

I’m not seeing a lot of WiFi interference but I am seeing significant physical or structural interference that could be causing dropouts.

When one player is wired in Sonos will begin its own mesh network called Sonosnet that may make playback on your system more stable.  

Please don’t hesitate to reach back out with a follow up diagnostic if you are able to test playback in this configuration.    

Oh I see thank you. I have a fairly large house with multiple floors. I wonder if that might be what you mean when you say structural interference. 

if I understand you correctly, I can plug the Sonos device into my WiFi router and it should improve connectivity for all of the devices? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @hypejones21, That’s what I would like to try out if you are able to set that up.

As far as interference goes, some building materials can reflect WiFi signals and cause communication issues in your network. 

These are the top three that I see in homes that can cause issues:

• Plaster
  • Concrete
  • Metal   

Larger two story homes are not usually a problem unless you are covering an area that exceeds the range of your WiFi network signal over all.

Ref1826055931

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @wlogatto,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your diagnostic confirmation number. 

I can see that the communication between your wired Sonos Play:5 speaker and your Play:1s is good although The Play:5 itself is having a hard time with it’s network connection. 

Is your Sonos system wired into a switch or into a router directly? 

Can you provide us with manufacturer and model numbers of the following:

• Modem. 
  • Router (if separate from your modem).    
  • Network switches between your Sonos and your router.
  •  Access points or extenders.

Any information about your network layout it should help us understand how we can improve your connection and playback experience.

Hello Jean,

The issue I am having is the two play one's go off for a few seconds then on again randomly, while the play 5 has no audio dropout.

To answer your questions, I have the play 5 wired to a Linksys EA7500 as a wifi switch (no DHCP), which is then connected to the wall where it runs through cat 5 to my main network switch, ubiquiti edge router x(no DHCP), which is then connected to my pfSense router sg-1100.

I may try moving it off the wifi switch and try directly to the wall, taking one piece out of the puzzle.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @wlogatto,

Thank you for the additional information about your system configuration.

When troubleshooting any kind of connectivity issues with Sonos, simple is usually the best way to go.

If wiring the Play:5 to your wall doesn’t change anything, you may want to systematically remove switches in order to identify potential network equipment issues.  

The fewer pieces of equipment that the data has to travel through between the Sonos products and the router, the better the system will perform overall.   

Please let me know if any of the changes you make in your wired connection change the playback behavior of your system and feel free to include follow-up diagnostic reports as you test playback. Be sure to post the confirmation numbers here so that we can continue to look them over for you. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @marchendrick,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your diagnostic report. 

It looks like you are missing a speaker in your set up, is this Play: 5 further away from your Eero mesh nodes than the rest of your system?

Is it possible to test your Sonos system with one Sonos speaker wired directly to the primary Eero node

If you could try this and submit a follow up diagnostic report in your response along with some detail about how your system if functioning, that would be most helpful.

Hi @Jean C. thanks for your reply. The Play:5 is in our back garage (separate from the house). And the rest of the system is in the house which is why that’s all working fine. We do have an Eero node about 20 feet (through walls) from the Play:5, and it’s worked fine since we got it a couple of years ago. It’s only been the last week or two that it’s been cutting out so badly that we can’t use it anymore.

I can probably test the system plugged directly into the Eero but it wouldn’t be able to stay wired.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @marchendrick,

If you can wire the Play: 5 directly to the network and then submit a diagnostic report while the player is wired we should be able to evaluate the player for any potential hardware issues. 

Please include the confirmation number in your reply.    

I have the same issues. I have submitted a diagnostic:- 2126237585 Zoneplayer ZP120 keeps cutting out whilst in sync with Playbar connected by ethernet to the router.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @jontreloar,

Are you able to identify this ZP120 by room name in your Sonos system? Which player is it and does the audio drop if you play it by itself rather than “grouped” to other rooms?

Is it wired to your network or to another Sonos product by Ethernet connection?  

I hope a few quick questions can help us resolve this playback issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @codegoat,

Can you start by wiring one of your Sonos players into your Netgear router?

Once you have this wired connection, please reboot all of your Sonos products by unplugging them from power for about 20 seconds.

When a player is wired, it will begin broadcasting its own mesh network. In a system as large as yours, this configuration should offer a more stable network connection for your system. 

I’m getting very brief cutting out since the last time I updated my Sonos system. It’s happened on 3 different routers and diffeeent channels, and I’d prefer not to wire anything in if I can avoid it.

Diagnostic is 175236983

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Report number 1754010249

Constant Spotify connect interruption. Some times it jumps the song, sometimes it cuts out. I have changed the channel of my wifi (2.4 and 5 gHz) without success.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Phronk and @cokeapm, sorry for the late response, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

@Phronk, When reviewing the diagnostic, I see that the speakers are connected to the Wifi from the TP-Link. 

I would like to know the 3 router models you have. So, we can check for any know issues with them.

Also, I would like to know if you experience this from multiple music sources or on a specific one.

@cokeapm, When reviewing the diagnostic you have posted, I see the Play:1 reporting a group cast failure from the router with wireless interference as well.

I would like you to reboot the router then the Play:1. You may also refer to this article to reduce wireless interference.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out

Hello my diagnostic number is 2123320503. I’ve had the same issue for years on many different wifis and I’m very sick of it. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @tiffanyhiebert, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

I would like to know if the audio cut-outs happen to all of your Music Services or specific ones.

I would like to know the model of your router. to check any known issues, just to be sure.

I also checked the diagnostic, your Play:5 gen1 is hardwired and it’s having some wireless interference. 

Since the Play:5 is hardwired and your only Sonos speaker, I recommend for you to turn off the wireless in the Room Settings in the app.

It will be in the hardware section. If you plan to use it in this configuration permanently.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Hey Kyle! 

I just plugged in the ethernet cable yesterday. I turned off WiFi for the room in the app and the music stopped working and wouldn’t start again. The router is Netgear R6850.

I only use Spotify and line-in with a record player. Line-in doesn’t cut out.

boost in setup, google WiFi, all units changed get from standard wireless channel. 

consistent speaker drop, consistent song skips. Tidal is primary app

boost in setup, google WiFi, all units changed get from standard wireless channel. 

consistent speaker drop, consistent song skips. Tidal is primary app

Have you considered trying a different SonosNet wireless channel in "Settings/System/Network”? There’s a good chance that may resolve the matter, but give the system 20 minutes, or so, to settle before passing judgment, as the connections between devices may need a chance to settle.

Yes, many times