Answered

Keeps cutting out

Userlevel 1
How can I stop this. Bought $6,000 worth of gear and not working properly.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 11 April 2019, 18:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

178 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi there,

If you're having audio interruptions it is likely due to your speakers losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. You have a couple wireless access points running on different channels. This can make it hard for your speakers to stay connected and in sync. Please change all of your wireless access points over to the same wireless channel, channel 11 looks best in your area. Try that and send along a new diagnostic report if any issues remain.

I’m getting the same audio cutouts while watching Netflix. Here’s my diagnostic number: 1155040325

We’re having similar issues with our speakers. We have 5, and a couple keep dropping out.

The diagnostic number is - 75918300

Userlevel 2

Internet radio streams are cutting out periodically.   Happens with different stations. 

Badge

Same thing started happening for me, but really only after adding a Connect to the mix. Had previously been rock solid. 

diagnostic code:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@jhcovert Thanks for sending in the report. It looks like your speakers are connecting to your Google Wifi mesh. Your Google mesh has 2 access points running on different wireless channels. This can make it hard for your Sonos speakers to stay in sync.

Normally, I’d recommend setting all of your access points to the same wireless channel, but Google Wifi may not have that feature. In this case you can switch your Sonos system over to the Sonos mesh setup by wiring into the Google Wifi hub any one of your Sonos speakers. If it’s not convenient to move your speaker to the hub a Boost can be connected instead, which would then send a signal out to your other speakers.

Badge

@Jeff S thanks for the fast follow-up. I had a sneaking suspicion it was going to be the Google WiFi channel issue. And yes, you’re right: as inane as it sounds Google does not allow you to manually set the channel on your network (not even through a buried Advanced menu option). 

Just to clarify: are you suggesting that I tie one of my Sonos units into the main Google WiFi hub, or into ANY of the Google WiFi nodes in the mesh network? 

My main hub is two floors up, but there is a node in the same room. 

Thanks again for your help. 

j

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@jhcovert You’d want to wire it in to the Google hub. The wireless jump between the access points and the rest of your network could cause issues if your Sonos is wired in to the access point.

Badge

@Jeff S now I know this sounds like I’m negotiating, but do you think I can plug a Boost into a wired access point (instead of the hub), and still enjoy the benefits of the standalone sonos network? 

My hub is two full stories away from the nearest Sonos speaker and I worry that putting the Boost up there won’t allow it to speak to the speakers effectively. The wired access point I mentioned is on the middle floor, so splitting the difference and a lot closer to the speakers. 

What do you think?

Thanks in advance. 

j

Sonos is literally the worst piece of garbage product I have ever bought in my entire life. Seriously. Of all the thousands of products I have ever acquired, none other has been quite as bad as Sonos. I think I will short the stock as the facade will break soon enough.

I have had maybe 50 DIFFERENT problems with this trash product. 

I have 6 products on my network, which were hassle free until now.  Now they continue to cut out, particularly one of my two Beams.  Additionally, the app is having difficulty finding some of my music files on my computer.

Diagnostics Ref#: 792100519

Badge

@Jeff S 

Just wanted to follow up here to say that adding a Boost (acquired aftermarket from EBay at a very fair price) solved my dropout issues.

Also, I was able to add it to a hardwired Google WiFi node rather than directly to my router or main Google WiFi hub. Adding it was a snap and confirmed after install and addition that all Sonos items are reading WM=0.

Connections are as follows…

FiOs Modem/Router > Google WiFi hub > Google WiFi node (via home networked cable) > Sonos Boost

I’ll note that it appears important that the router go straight to the Google hub, and not through an Ethernet switch - I was having trouble with this iteration originally. My switch is connected directly to the modem/router through another Ethernet port and all is working well throughout the other aspects of my network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@jhcovert It’s good to hear that things have stabilized. The wired connection on the node should save you some potential headaches. Enjoy your music!

Sonos team I am now having this issue. I’ve had my Sonos system on the google mesh for over a year without issue. It started writing the last two weeks. I have not changed anything. In my opinion it’s not acceptable to resolve the issue by plugging it into one of the mesh routers. I purchased this specifically as a wireless system. Do you have a published solution? I submitted a diagnose yesterday. I have a play 5, sound bar / sub, play 3 and two play 1s and a connect. 

All the threads I see are started about a year ago. 

I think there was an issue with an update at around that time. Because mine were totally fine for a year and then suddenly they haven't been for a long time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Seadawg I’d recommend reaching out to Google to see if there’s a way to set your access .points to the same wireless channel. Otherwise, If it’s not convenient to wire in a speaker,  I’d recommend a Boost. Wiring a Boost into the hub leaves your Sonos speakers wireless, and on their own network. 

I unplugged the failed units and plugged back in and haven’t had issues since. I also seem to only have heard issues with Amazon, not Pandora, but I’ll keep paying attention. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sonos is literally the worst piece of garbage product I have ever bought in my entire life. Seriously. Of all the thousands of products I have ever acquired, none other has been quite as bad as Sonos. I think I will short the stock as the facade will break soon enough.

I have had maybe 50 DIFFERENT problems with this trash product. 

And yet this is the one and only post you have ever made here. Please, go and troll some other user forum.

I have submitted diagnostic 1625137155, please review. I have confirmed that I only have the issue with amazon. Pandora I do not have the issue. The diagnostic was taken while using amazon. 

Note that it’s the weekend, and the community moderators tend to be sparse here in the community forum. You can avoid the wait for them to have time to pick up your diagnostic by contacting Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

I aimed to get the whole system but I probably won't buy another piece. Constant disconnection, on and off, messing with my Spotify and google and youtube and Xbox. Everything worked perfectly before attaching the Sonos, but now I'm googling what's wrong, doing extra work just to watch a show, trying to figure out wifi or other issues, having to call in and wait on hold to have somebody tell me it won't work?? Goodness no. I'd rather just rest easy and enjoy a sound system that works consistently. Why can't Sonos figure it out? In terms of billable hours trying to figure out problems, Sonos owes me thousands of dollars. If I just had a normal (i.e. cheaper) soundbar everything would be fine and I could actually play whatever I want through my phone, computer, tv, and everything else. Easy peasy. In hindsight, not sure why I caught the hype for this Sonos nonsense. Actually probably what I will do tomorrow, just go buy a better, less expensive sound system (for the price of a single piece of Sonos) and put the Sonos in the cupboard where it belongs, for posterity.

So annoying.

I unplugged the failed units and plugged back in and haven’t had issues since. I also seem to only have heard issues with Amazon, not Pandora, but I’ll keep paying attention. 

Failed units meaning each of your speakers?  I’m going to give that a shot in hopes it fixes as I too, am having the same issue as the rest of you and have Google Wifi (I’ve had since it first came out). It’s never been an issue until the last few weeks and now it’s constant. 😕 Will try recommended fixes as suggested here, just shy of paying for a boost. The Ethernet option isn’t ideal as it is. Thanks to all for your feedback and possible solutions. 

had problems for a couple of weeks music just keeps cutting out. The wifi network is strong

had problems for a couple of weeks music just keeps cutting out. The wifi network is strong

Happy to help Ju H, as another user here.. your WiFi can be strong, but perhaps not interference free.. can you maybe describe your Sonos/Network setup in a little more detail, then I and others here maybe able to make some suggestions to help you resolve the matter.

• What type of WiFi network do you have? Is it a central router, or WiFi mesh system with hubs? 
  • Are there any other WiFi access points, repeaters/extenders or power-line adapters within your network?
  • Any managed or unmanaged switches?
  • Are any of your Sonos devices wired to the LAN? 

Thanks Ken. 

I have Virgin Fibre connected to a Google mesh wifi network (4 hubs across the house). The Wifi points all have strong signals and 213 Mbps.

All Sonos products are connected over wifi - I have 3 Sonos beams along with a One Play and a Move, also have the Sonos amp connected for to a turntable.

It’s all been fine up until a couple of weeks ago when the music started cutting out, it also started playing the first part of a track then skipping to the next. I’m using Spotify for streaming.