Answered

Keeps cutting out

Userlevel 1
How can I stop this. Bought $6,000 worth of gear and not working properly.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 11 April 2019, 18:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

178 replies

So much cutting out on all speakers suddenly. System unusable! Diagnostic 212476280

The streaming data isn't getting to the speakers fast enough. This is likely due to wireless interference from nearby networks running on the same channel as your own. Try changing your wireless network over to channel 11, which is less crowded.

The issue seems specific to the Sonos speakers. I just did a Google Wifi network test and the Sonos speakers are the only ones having issues. Why?

It's hard to say without more in depth troubleshooting. I'd recommend giving us a call. Our phone team can take a deeper look at your network live. You can find our phone number and hours here.

Thanks Jeff. I have a Google Wifi router which automatically scans for the least crowded channel every 5 minutes. I don't see a way to override that.

I called the phone team and the wait time is over 30 minutes! Given the increased number of people complaining about this in the forum [and presumably by phone] is there not some fix Sonos can deploy? Just brainstorming while I spend the afternoon on hold... :(

fwiw I just got off the phone with Sonos support. they said the issue is with Google Wifi changing the channel periodically and Sonos losing connection. he said to address I need to either pay $99 for a Sonos Boost or hardwire one of my Sonos speakers using ethernet. Neither are great options... I'm waiting for an escalation engineer to call me back.

I have a turntable plugged into a Sonos Amp as Line In. I'm playing this on a group of 1 Sonos 5 and a connected pair of Sonos 1s and it only plays a few seconds of music before cutting out for 10+ seconds at a time. I use Google Wifi as well.

I just tried ungrouping the speakers to see if it would cut out less on one speaker only. It did not. The performance on the Sonos 5 was the same as the performance on the connected Sonos 1s, which was the same as the performance of the group.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
I have a turntable plugged into a Sonos Amp as Line In. I'm playing this on a group of 1 Sonos 5 and a connected pair of Sonos 1s and it only plays a few seconds of music before cutting out for 10+ seconds at a time. I use Google Wifi as well.

Try changing the line-in compression settings.

Tap on More - Settings - Advanced Settings - Audio Compression - Compressed

That should reduce the skips.

Using Line-In on Sonos: Adjusting compression settings
It was already set to Compressed. I played around with it at Automatic but there was no difference so it is now back to Compressed and the issue remains. This is a very recent phenomenon, just in the past weeks.
Great, having the same issue. Seems to be specific to using Google Wifi. Can not figure out a fix yet
I did change one setting in Google Wifi that seems to have fixed the problem, at least for the time being. I changed the DNS settings from automatic to ISP’s DNS

Hi,
I aim having the same problem where one speaker in my setup keeps cutting out.
I have just submitted a diagnostic under number 1226866750.

thanks for the help
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you want Sonos support to look at your diagnostic look at the Contact page for your country and use one of the 24x7 options to directly contact them. Not likely to see anyone from Sonos here until Monday and even then they may miss your post tacked onto an old topic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,
I aim having the same problem where one speaker in my setup keeps cutting out.
I have just submitted a diagnostic under number 1226866750.

thanks for the help

Thanks for sending in the report. There are wireless communication errors showing up, likely caused by wireless interference. Try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using. Also, the steps in this guide may help as they cover the most common causes of audio cut outs.
I'm having the same issue that everyone else has mentioned here. Playback starts ok on 2 speakers, then cuts out mid song and advances to the next song. Then cuts out again and eventually just stops (same thing happening on both speakers)
I have tried everything mentioned. Rebooted everything several times (and in the 'right order'.)
I have manually changed the channels to 1, 6 and 11.
Nothing is working.
I don't have any other devices using wifi that are nearby the Bridge or speakers (I have a TV in a separate room )
I have filed diagnostics 870571829
Looking forward to hearing!
I’ve been having the same issues and it’s been happening over the last couple of weeks. Im also using Google Wifi with Sonos.
Its happening in the office with Spotify throughout the day.
ID: 578437311

I assume you are not using Google Wifi at the office?

nope. Just regular Wifi using unifi routers

nope. Just regular Wifi using unifi routers

Thank you. Good to know. Must be something on Sonos end.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I’ve been having the same issues and it’s been happening over the last couple of weeks. Im also using Google Wifi with Sonos.

Hi there,

When using Sonos on mesh networks like Google Wifi, it's helpful to make sure all of your wireless access points are running on the same wireless channel. When they are on different channels, it can make it hard for your speakers to stay in sync. Another option is to set your Sonos system up in the mesh configuration by wiring one speaker or Boost into your Google Wifi hub. This gives the Sonos system its own network and channel that you can separate from the Google Wifi channels. We recommend using channels 1, 6 and 11 as they do not overlap.

If that doesn't help, submit a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sending in the report. Your Sonos speakers are losing connection to your wireless network frequently. This is likely the reason your music cuts out. You have a couple different wireless access points which are running on different wireless channels. See if you can get them all set to channel 1, which looks to be the best in your area.

Alternately, you can wire one of your speakers, or a Boost, in to your main router, switching your Sonos system to a mesh network setup. You can adjust the wireless channel for your Sonos system to 1 if any issues continue.

Thanks for sending in the report. Your Sonos speakers are losing connection to your wireless network frequently. This is likely the reason your music cuts out. You have a couple different wireless access points which are running on different wireless channels. See if you can get them all set to channel 1, which looks to be the best in your area.

Alternately, you can wire one of your speakers, or a Boost, in to your main router, switching your Sonos system to a mesh network setup. You can adjust the wireless channel for your Sonos system to 1 if any issues continue.

thanks i will contact the network admin to see what they can do.

I’ve been having the same issues and it’s been happening over the last couple of weeks. Im also using Google Wifi with Sonos.Hi there,

When using Sonos on mesh networks like Google Wifi, it's helpful to make sure all of your wireless access points are running on the same wireless channel. When they are on different channels, it can make it hard for your speakers to stay in sync. Another option is to set your Sonos system up in the mesh configuration by wiring one speaker or Boost into your Google Wifi hub. This gives the Sonos system its own network and channel that you can separate from the Google Wifi channels. We recommend using channels 1, 6 and 11 as they do not overlap.

If that doesn't help, submit a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number.

Jeff, you rock! THIS FIXED IT!

That totally explains it too! I didn’t have to manually change the channels on Google Wifi (not even sure if you can), all I had to do was plug in a network cable to one of the Google Wifi access points to the Sonos, and now it’s responsive again and doesn’t cut out. Thanks for your explanation, it would have driven me mad not knowing why.
We ended up just wiring the sonos to the main switch and havent had any dropouts so far.

We suspect it was the WAPs havent different channels.

Thanks to everyone help.

used to love my Sonos and now it drives me crazy every day
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

used to love my Sonos and now it drives me crazy every day

Your speakers are losing connection to your wireless network frequently. This is likely due to wireless interference. Try changing your router and all wireless access points over to channel 11. Also, there are some great troubleshooting tips in this guide which may help.
My sonos keeps cutting out. I own one play 3 and two play 1's and I have high speed internet. I submitted a diagnostic and my conformation number is 181804846
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My sonos keeps cutting out. I own one play 3 and two play 1's and I have high speed internet. I submitted a diagnostic and my conformation number is 181804846

Hi there

Thanks for sending in the report. It looks like a few of your Sonos players have lost their network addresses. Many times rebooting your router and each Sonos unit sorts this kind of issue out. If that doesn't help, the issue may be caused by wireless interference. You can run through the steps in this guide to start. Please send along a new diagnostic report if any issues remain.