Answered

Keeps cutting out

Userlevel 1
How can I stop this. Bought $6,000 worth of gear and not working properly.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 11 April 2019, 18:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

178 replies

Next time it happens, submit a diagnostic and post the reference number here. A Sonos rep will take it from there.
Userlevel 1
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sending in the report. It looks like you have a few wireless access points which are running on different wireless channels. This is making it hard for you Sonos units to stay connected, which is likely why the audio is cutting out. Please try changing your wireless access points over to wireless channel 11 and see if that helps.

Also, with mesh systems like your Ubiquiti system it is often best to switch the Sonos system over to a Boost setup by wiring in one of your Sonos units to your main router. This puts the Sonos system on its own wireless network and can help with stability. If it's not convenient to wire in one of your speakers due to location, a Boost is a great way to provide that wired connection.
Why is this happing all the sudden?!! I can't even make it through one song.

My diagnostic confirmation number is: 1463559323.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Why is this happing all the sudden?!! I can't even make it through one song.

My diagnostic confirmation number is: 1463559323.

There are some wireless communication errors showing up between your Sonos units. This is most often caused by wireless interference, and is likely the reason for the cutting out. Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using.

It may also help to look around and in between your Sonos units for any third party wireless electronics which could be causing interference. Common sources include cordless phone bases, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors and wireless printers.
Badge
Personally my two rear speakers have got a lot worse recently, I do use a Sonos Boost as well although I need to wait to see if this is a problem with streaming from an external service once my NAS returns.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you looked at your Network Matrix? http://your-ip-here:1400/support/review
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Strange isn’t it that it’s always something or someone else other than a glitch in the Sonos apps ... honesty would go a long way ...
And yet, most of us who answer a lot of questions here are quick to point out when it is indeed a known bug in the Sonos software, such as the current issue with iOS and the lock screen causing skipping. So, yes, it’s strange.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos is pretty good about admitting to bugs too, it does take them a while sometimes as they seem to like to be very sure it is a Sonos problem and not something not under their control.

If you have a problem submit a diagnostic, tell Sonos the ID number, here, twitter, facebook or by phone and see what they say. If nothing else your diagnostic adds to the evidence that it is becoming a common problem and a fix should be prioritized.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Sorry but I think we’re going to have to agree to differ over Sonos’s reticence to readily admit to bugs in its apps. I went through the whole submitting reports (several in fact) process a few years ago and it was always something else until an upgrade and hey presto it was solved. I don’t think anybody would expect immediate upgrades but admitting there’s a possible problem would go a long way and stop any other nugatory investigation. My network is happily running everything else harmoniously, TVs (including NowTV), laptops, tablets, phones and a Niam Mu-so which works with no problem, even the Sonos app on the MacPro works fine (although there remains the slight annoyance that there isn’t the “play songs from this device” option) so I’m not sure how it can be anything else other than an iOS bug.
Same thing happening here. Recently started cutting out. Haven’t changed WiFi in area at all.
I am having the same issue. Pandora regularly stops in the middle of a song and then starts the next song. I have submitted diagnostics. 807251500 Thanks for any help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You might consider Twitter or Facebook for faster responses than the forum offers.
1356506378 Music keeps stopping and then starts randomly on another track. Very annoying and only recently been doing it. No changes to wi-if of house equipment.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Sorry but I think we’re going to have to agree to differ over Sonos’s reticence to readily admit to bugs in its apps. I went through the whole submitting reports (several in fact) process a few years ago and it was always something else until an upgrade and hey presto it was solved. I don’t think anybody would expect immediate upgrades but admitting there’s a possible problem would go a long way and stop any other nugatory investigation. My network is happily running everything else harmoniously, TVs (including NowTV), laptops, tablets, phones and a Niam Mu-so which works with no problem, even the Sonos app on the MacPro works fine (although there remains the slight annoyance that there isn’t the “play songs from this device” option) so I’m not sure how it can be anything else other than an iOS bug.
I remember the upgrade to Sonos 5 from 4 was a disaster for me--possibly around the same time as your problems.

I'd been on 4.x since I got my system. Held off on updating to 5 because everything was working flawlessly. Decided to upgrade when 5.1 was released in September 2014 and suddenly nothing worked. Followed all the usual trouble-shooting techniques, multiple network resets, WiFi noise reduction, channel changing, static IP addresses, etc. All no good; the system remained unstable for months.

I'd pretty much given up on Sonos altogether then I upgraded to 5.2 in December and suddenly everything worked like a charm again. It's worked flawlessly since--including following a move to a new home.

So yes, I'd say that there is room for a Sonos bug or two.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi there,

Thanks for sending in the report. Your Sonos speakers are losing communication with your wireless network from time to time. This is probably due to interference from a nearby wireless network running on the same wireless channel as your main network. Please try changing your main network's wireless channel to 1 and see if things improve.
Audio cutting out playing from NAS
ID: 121141694
Audio keeps cutting out here as well. No recent changes and has gotten progressively worse over the past week. Reference number: 953564960
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, User738303. Hello, VictoryPerformancePT. Thanks for the diagnostics. They both showed a lot of WiFi interference. This is often the cause of audio playback issues. You may also wish to consider changing your Sonos wireless channel. If those links don't work, not to worry, we can certainly get to the bottom of this for you. Following any further occurrence of this issue or changes in your setup, please submit further diagnostics and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause. Though I do think the solution lies in those articles. Many thanks in advance.
I'm having the same problem, audio recently started cutting in and out. I have one of my Sonos 1 hardwired but its been dropping lately. Submitted diagnostics 389115523. I do have Unify access points.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
lawrencf, this may resolve your issue: Go to Settings, Advanced Settings, Wireless Setup, Do not enter the password, tap RESET. Can you test this for me and try again?