Answered

Keep Speakers Grouped Permanently

I use a PLAYBAR and two PLAY:1s as a stereo pair (not surrounds) for TV. Not typically for music. They should remain permanently grouped together. Occasionally (every two weeks on average), they get ungrouped, and have to be manually regrouped in the SONOS app so the TV can be used again. It seems to occur sometimes after a brief network interruption or power outage, but often randomly. This is a big inconvenience that should not be necessary, is it normal?
icon

Best answer by Edward R 16 January 2018, 14:36

Hi, flyoffacliff. Thanks for your post. Groups are a temporary bond that is broken when your devices are powered down. We do not have the capacity to create permanent groups at present. I shall forward this suggestion for you. Let us know if you need anything else. Many thanks.

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi, flyoffacliff. Thanks for your post. Groups are a temporary bond that is broken when your devices are powered down. We do not have the capacity to create permanent groups at present. I shall forward this suggestion for you. Let us know if you need anything else. Many thanks.
i agree with flyoffacliff this should absolutely be an option. very inconvenient
Badge
I have a play:1 grouped with a sonos connect - if I pause the source for more than a minute or so the play:1 and the connect get ungrouped.

Absolutely ridiculous.

The Sonos ecosystem was programmed with a complete blindness to the notion of pausing an audio source. Look no further than this example, or what happens when you pause Sirius on demand, or any podcast app.

Sonos ** CANNOT WAIT ** to assume the user has abandoned their session, Clearly there is a variable defined somewhere in their software that allows you to pause without ungrouping or losing your place in a stream. Please make that time period longer than 60 seconds or whatever ridiculous value it defaults to. in other words...

DEAR SONOS -- INCREASE THE TIMEOUT VARIABLE ON UNGROUPING ROOMS AND PLAYBACK OF ON DEMAND CONTENT.

Seriously.
Rooms do not automatically ungroup after a timeout. I've had rooms grouped for months without any ungrouping. There is something going wrong. I would wait till it happens again, then submit a diagnostic and post the reference number here.
Badge
There is a 0 % chance you have a connect paired with a play speaker, then paused the source on the connect and kept the conect/play group stay together for more than about 30 seconds,

Sonos is religiously opposed to pausing any sort of playback and what you are describing has nothing to do with this thread.
Actually, I have grouped the Playbar with another speaker and never had this happen, and here is why:
Check to see if you have the "Ungroup on Autoplay" set in the settings for the Playbar. If so, it will ungroup whenever it senses new input from the TV. Disable this setting and the ungrouping will stop.

And why would Sonos be "religiously opposed to pausing any sort of playback"? They give you a pause button just for this purpose. :?
Badge
jgatie wrote:

Actually, I have grouped the Playbar with another speaker and never had this happen, and here is why:
Check to see if you have the "Ungroup on Autoplay" set in the settings for the Playbar. If so, it will ungroup whenever it senses new input from the TV. Disable this setting and the ungrouping will stop.

And why would Sonos be "religiously opposed to pausing any sort of playback"? They give you a pause button just for this purpose. :?

Thanks - I will.

It is indisputable the pause button is some unbearable burden on their resources.

Here are examples of where Sonos thinks pause means "stop in 30 seconds and only resume from the beginning" or "ungroup all my devices because even though you hit pause, you really meant to ungroup everything":

Sirius On Demand
Google Play Podcasts
Sonos Connect

No doubt there are countless other examples. Look how long it took Audible to comeback. Unfortunately we cannot listen to an entire audiobook in one sitting, much to the chagrin of the Sonos programmers.

They need to worry more about making their app work as expected and less about Voice control, romancing Amazon, and IPOs. Why would anyone want their Sonos speakers listening and recording their every word and not a working pause button? In what world is this higher on the todo list?
My pause button works just fine. I've had SiriusXM paused today for hours, and when I get back home the three rooms grouped will still be grouped, and the OnDemand show I was listening to will be just where I paused it. Have done the same with Audible. Bottom line, your system should not be spontaneously ungrouping for any reason, except for hardware reboots. Next time it happens, submit a diagnostic and post the reference number here.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Another thought, more of a clarification of what jgatie suggested earlier. NittyBitty, do you have anything connected to the line in on your CONNECT? If so, then either unplug the line in on the CONNECT and retest, or change the "Ungroup on Autoplay" set in the settings for the CONNECT and retest. From your description it sounds like you do, but not 100% sure.
Badge
The pause button for SiriusXM on demand works for 30 seconds, same as Google play podcasts. There are other topics in this forum testifying to this. They need to rename 'pause' to 'stop.in 30 seconds'

Audible works great !

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings