Joint lawsuit against SONOS

Show first post

110 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

This is not how it works for Sonos. Sonos do not share your information with third parties, it’s in time terms and conditions and adheres to GDPR in Europe. 

Not sure anything about the GDPR topic, but times have changed and Sonos now does share some information with 3rd parties (anonymized, but related directly to the user).

Advertising Partners

If you decide to use Sonos Radio, we will share a subset of your pseudonymized and anonymized data with third party advertising companies to present, via Sonos Products, interest-based ads for features, products, and services that might be of interest to you. Specifically, we share the following information with our advertising partners: location, language, and genre of the station you are currently listening to (which is not based on your overall listening history). We will share anonymous information with advertisers, which describes the overall listening audience in general. We may also share limited location information (i.e. an IP address and anonymized ID) with some of our third party radio content partners who may run ads on their stations. We do not use information that personally identifies you to present interest-based ads.

While it might not be the case with some speakers out there, Sonos devices are much more than just speakers. They are computers that are designed to play music as a system, synchronized and controllable across multiple devices and platforms. I get that you disagree on what you think is a basic function, but Sonos devices need to be running the same software build on all devices, which makes updating at the beginning an important part of the setup process, and a core function.

Here is a short list of examples for devices that can also be used to stream and use all kinds of internet services, but don’t force users to create a personal profile and transfer personal data including location data to the manufacturer in order to just set them up for local use and don’t de facto brick them if the legal right to opt-out of these practices is desired:

• Smartphones
  • Computers
  • Routers

Again, there is no technical justification to do this! This is pure (and in the EU illegal) data hording. Even software updates DO NOT technically require registration and collection of personal data.

I think the background for removing the option to set up a Sonos system with the desktop app is also pretty clear now, since those machines don’t have GPS.

Again, there is no technical justification to do this! This is pure (and in the EU illegal) data hording. Even software updates DO NOT technically require registration and collection of personal data.

Without knowledge what products you got, said products won’t receive the corresponding firmware build. You can’t, say, operate a Beam with the firmware a Play:5 is running on.

Without knowledge what products you got, said products won’t receive the corresponding firmware build. You can’t, say, operate a Beam with the firmware a Play:5 is running on.

The “you” is the important part. My personal information is the thing that’s not technically required. Be it location, name, email or IP address.

Location - Geofencing of services, listing local radio stations

Name - Not required by Sonos.

email - Requiring an email is so ubiquitous in this day and age, as is the use of burner emails, so this is sheer pedantry. 

IP Address - Part of the warranty is lifetime support.  These are the types of things in a diagnostic needed for that support.  If you don’t want them knowing it, don’t get support and don’t send a diagnostic.  It is entirely voluntary.  

Location - Geofencing of services, listing local radio stations

Name - Not required by Sonos.

email - Requiring an email is so ubiquitous in this day and age, as is the use of burner emails, so this is sheer pedantry. 

IP Address - Part of the warranty is lifetime support.  These are the types of things in a diagnostic needed for that support.  If you don’t want them knowing it, don’t get support and don’t send a diagnostic.  It is entirely voluntary.  

Again, there is 100% no techincal reason forcibly collect any of this personal data to use an AirPlay speaker in my home. This MUST be an opt-in. Asking for all this information or otherwise refusing access to your devices is a very shady practice and highly uncommon even for the shadiest hardware companies.

Again, there is 100% no techincal reason forcibly collect any of this personal data to use an AirPlay speaker in my home.

You didn’t buy an Airplay speaker, you bought a multi-room, internet connected smart speaker that happens to have Airplay capability.  Caveat emptor.

This MUST be an opt-in. Asking for all this information or otherwise refusing access to your devices is a very shady practice and highly uncommon even for the shadiest hardware companies.

So you wish to opt out of your warranty, and forego free service for the life of the unit?  Something tells me you’d be the first one screaming when it stopped working.  

Oh and as I said, diagnostics are already optional.  Don’t send one, and they don’t get the data.  

Again, there is 100% no techincal reason forcibly collect any of this personal data to use an AirPlay speaker in my home.

You didn’t buy an Airplay speaker, you bought a multi-room, internet connected smart speaker that happens to have Airplay capability.  Caveat emptor.

This MUST be an opt-in. Asking for all this information or otherwise refusing access to your devices is a very shady practice and highly uncommon even for the shadiest hardware companies.

So you wish to opt out of your warranty, and forego free service for the life of the unit?  Something tells me you’d be the first one screaming when it stopped working.  

Oh and as I said, diagnostics are already optional.  Don’t send one, and they don’t get the data.  

I bought a speaker with internet service capabilities. (Btw, to my knowledge few to none of the service intergrations would actually require personal information sent to Sonos, actually. But I haven’t signed up for or used or plan to use any of the services anyway). I did not buy a device that cannot be used in any way unless they forcibly take my personal information.

Where did you get the diagnostics information from? Can you provide a source for that? Can you confirm that my IP address won’t be stored with my account information unless I actively request it?

If and when I decide to make use of any warranty support is MY decision. A warranty is not a legally binding contract for the customer.

The diagnostic is optional because, well, you have to actually submit a diagnostic for them to get one.  Duh.  

Look we obviously aren’t going to see eye to eye on this.  So if you think Sonos has wronged you, stop all the bluster in this forum and go contact a lawyer.  When they file the case, post your docket number here.  Because until you do that, all you are doing here is howling at the wind.  

The diagnostic is optional because, well, you have to actually submit a diagnostic for them to get one.  Duh.  

Look we obviously aren’t going to see eye to eye on this.  So if you think Sonos has wronged you, stop all the bluster in this forum and go contact a lawyer.  When they file the case, post your docket number here.  Because until you do that, all you are doing here is howling at the wind.  

I agree this is possibly the end of any intelligent debate on the matter. If the Sonos argument was clear then it wouldn’t still be going on. The only way forward is to get a laywer. I don’t think anyone is going to get a lawyer (I would love it if they did, count me in).

This is obviously Sonos’ standpoint - ‘Go get a lawyer’… nice relationship to have with your customers.

I would never, never of gone down the Sonos route if I knew of all the issues I was going to have with them, my options are now to sell all my kit and choose another route or shut up.