Joint lawsuit against SONOS

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Today I ran into a problem. I rebooted the playbar to the factory settings, and when I try to reconfigure, the application requires access to my location. If I refuse to grant access, I can’t set up my playbar !!!!! Starting from iOS 13, SONOS requires the provision of a geographical location via the GPS of your phone. If you refuse to provide access to a geographical location, you cannot use the product that you bought. It turns out that Sonos put forward an ultimatum to me. Want to use a player, we need to know where you are! But this is a violation of my rights. When I bought the device, the use agreement did not contain information that I must provide my location to use the product.

I am going to go to court.  Because I believe that Sonos illegally restricts me in my right to privacy. If you want to join the lawsuit, write me a message. 

I admit that when selling a new device, Sonos may require certain conditions from the buyer, but when Sonos forbids me to use the device I bought earlier, this is a violation of my rights.

Sonos should return my money and take the goods back.  Because I do not agree with the rules that Sonos has implemented without agreement with me. If you agree with me and consider that SONOS limits your right to use your equipment, write to me.

110 replies

Hi. Sonos required my location when I started using it seven years ago. You must have slready given a location.

Amusing post. How are things in Florida?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Don’t agree with you, and you won’t find many on here who do.  Your being absurd.

andrew

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi. Sonos required my location when I started using it seven years ago. You must have slready given a location.

Amusing post.

Hey John. By default, the application required your location before, but if you denied it access to the location, you had the opportunity to configure the system.

After the release of iOS 13, SONOS closed the ability to configure equipment without geolocation.

Imagine for a second that your stereo is installed in a place where your phone is not receiving a GPS signal. How will you set up your SONOS?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Don’t agree with you, and you won’t find many on here who do.  Your being absurd.

andrew

Hello Andrew. What exactly do you disagree with?

Amusing post.

Hey John. By default, the application required your location before, but if you denied it access to the location, you had the opportunity to configure the system.

Which is why you should talk to Sonos about this issue instead of jumping right to a lawsuit.  I would not think you’d get very far in your lawsuit if you made no attempts to resolve the issue with Sonos first without taking it to court. 

After the release of iOS 13, SONOS closed the ability to configure equipment without geolocation.

Imagine for a second that your stereo is installed in a place where your phone is not receiving a GPS signal. How will you set up your SONOS?

Are you sure Sonos made changes with the release of Apple’s OS and not the  release of a version of the Sonos app?  And location services are generally GPS and IP.  If there is no GPS, I imagine setup can be done with IP alone.  

Edit: In case you were not aware, your profile for this forum has your location filled out voluntarily.  I realize that’s not as private and informative as GPS location, but in case your concerned, you may want to remove that.

Sonos has always required some type of postal code.  They say it is to allow for geo-blocking of services, and to list your local radio stations in TuneIn, but they are really spying for an international data consortium that will sell your zip code (which can be found with a simple Google search) for billions.

Muhahahaha!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Amusing post.

Which is why you should talk to Sonos about this issue instead of jumping right to a lawsuit.  I would not think you’d get very far in your lawsuit if you made no attempts to resolve the issue with Sonos first without taking it to court. 

Are you sure Sonos made changes with the release of Apple’s OS and not the  release of a version of the Sonos app?  And location services are generally GPS and IP.  If there is no GPS, I imagine setup can be done with IP alone.  

Edit: In case you were not aware, your profile for this forum has your location filled out voluntarily.  I realize that’s not as private and informative as GPS location, but in case your concerned, you may want to remove that.

Of course, I will first contact SONOS, but most likely they will ignore my request by referring to the terms of use 

Unfortunately, setting up the player is not possible without providing data from the GPS. 

Here is the text from the SONOS website

Allow location access": This allows Sonos to detect your nearby speakers during the Setup process. If you leave this disabled, you will not be able to setup your speakers.

You are absolutely right, the provision of data in the profile is voluntary and does not limit you in the right to use your equipment.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Sonos has always required some type of postal code.  They say it is to allow for geo-blocking of services, and to list your local radio stations in TuneIn, but they are really spying for an international data consortium that will sell your zip code (which can be found with a simple Google search) for billions.

Muhahahaha!

You are a good joker)) Your answer here confirms my assumption that most users do not have the basic concept of "right to privacy" and for most of this concept no longer exists. Unfortunately, your laughter will stop quickly when SONOS restricts your right to listen to certain artists because the artists did not pay SONOS for the right to play their songs on SONOS players.

Muhahahaha!

You are a good joker)) Your answer here confirms my assumption that most users do not have the basic concept of "right to privacy" and for most of this concept no longer exists. Unfortunately, your laughter will stop quickly when SONOS restricts your right to listen to certain artists because the artists did not pay SONOS for the right to play their songs on SONOS players.

This really demonstrates your ignorance of the facts. Or is it just a desire to provoke? Sonos receive no payments from artists or streaming services.  Now gone beyond amusing to absolutely hilarious.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

This really demonstrates your ignorance of the facts. Or is it just a desire to provoke? Sonos receive no payments from artists or streaming services.  Now gone beyond amusing to absolutely hilarious.

I just suggested one of the possible limitation options. Today I’m limited in my ability to use the player because I didn’t provide location information. Tomorrow, once again, perhaps SONOS will limit me to something else.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3092?language=en_US&utm_campaign=english-cr-care-permissions&utm_medium=permissions&utm_source=cr-care

Especially for you excerpt from the rules: 

• "Approximate location (network-based)": Gathering the approximate location of your Sonos system allows us to auto-populate your registration postal code and predetermine the radio locale for your system so it is configured as soon as you are done setting up your system.
  • "Allow location access": This allows Sonos to detect your nearby speakers during the Setup process. If you leave this disabled, you will not be able to setup your speakers.

Early I set up players without providing location data.

We can all invent things Sonos might do to limit you in future. They might send someone round to chop your legs off to limit your ability to walk. After all, they know where you  live.

Good luck with the legal action.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

We can all invent things Sonos might do to limit you in future. They might send someone round to xhop your legs off to limit your ability to walk. After all, they know where you  live.

Good luck with the legal action.

Thanks, John:hand_splayed_tone1:

calyptotis,

Having read and accepted this, (see my chosen extract below) which appears to me to be a completely fair and understandable company requirement surrounding the aspect of location (country and postcode) for what is clearly a valid openly stated reason, you can count me out of your joint lawsuit venture.

No disrespect, but the data collected is minimal, respects privacy and appears to be held and used in necessary and responsible ways that are secure and more beneficial, than detrimental, to the end user… I look forward to hearing the outcome of your court case, if indeed you get that far. 
Meanwhile I will just sit back, continue to chill and enjoy all the Sonos products that are installed around our family home.

Extract: 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

calyptotis,

Having read and accepted this, (see my chosen extract below) which appears to me to be a completely fair and understandable company requirement surrounding the aspect of location (country and postcode) for what is clearly a valid openly stated reason, you can count me out of your joint lawsuit venture.

No disrespect, but the data collected is minimal, respects privacy and appears to be held and used in necessary and responsible ways that are secure and more beneficial than detrimental to the end user… I look forward to hearing the outcome of your court case, if indeed you get that far. 
Meanwhile I will just sit back, continue to chill and enjoy all the Sonos products that are installed around our family home.

Extract: 

In fact, SONOS makes a good product, but they require too much private information to use their players. As I wrote above, they can make any demands to new users, but SONOS has no right to change the terms of service for old users and, moreover, restrict the right to use my property.

Calyptotis,

I’m really more interested in hearing the outcome rather than actually debating the matter. I personally don’t know the legalities of changing the “terms of service”, or products being “subject to change”, or software being “used under licence” etc. So I can’t contribute very much to such a debate anyway.

However, whenever you do get to a stage that you decide to fork out for legal representation and seek proper advice, I’m sure that the legal folk will be able to advise you far more appropriately than myself.

Do come back though and let us know the final outcome. Although in all honesty, I will still prefer to hand over the minimal details that Sonos require from me in order to continue to use their system and services.

So I’ll just get back to listening to some more great music on my Sonos System instead, if that’s okay with you? 👍

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Calyptotis,

I’m really more interested in hearing the outcome rather than actually debating the matter. I personally don’t know the legalities of changing the “terms of service”, or products being “subject to change”, or software being “used under licence” etc. So I can’t contribute very much to such a debate anyway.

However, whenever you do get to a stage that you decide to fork out for legal representation and seek proper advice, I’m sure that the legal folk will be able to advise you far more appropriately than myself.

Do come back though and let us know the final outcome. Although in all honesty, I will still prefer to hand over the minimal details that Sonos require from me in order to continue to use their system and services.

So I’ll just get back to listening to some more great music on my Sonos System instead, if that’s okay with you? 👍

Thank you very much for your support. I hope I have enough strength to finish what I started.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

As I said - you won’t find many on here who agree with you.

andrew

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Both SoundCloud and Tidal need to verify your location to make sure that you meet the legal requirements to receive the services they provide.  Does this not concern you?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Both SoundCloud and Tidal need to verify your location to make sure that you meet the legal requirements to receive the services they provide.  Does this not concern you?

All the music apps require this to some degree I would imagine(though I believe they don't require location permissions on your phone when used through Sonos app). But there are some people who don't use music services  and only their listen to their own music on their local network (shocking I know). 

If I was this type of person I might want to know why Sonos needs to know my precise location via my device to set up and use my speaker. In the OPs shoes I can maybe see this as unnecessary. 

But Im not that type of person and like KennyG I'm gonna go back to listening to music on my great sounding system through Spotify. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello. I have been using SoundCloud and Tidal for many years. None of the services ever asked me for geolocation.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hello. I have been using SoundCloud and Tidal for many years. None of the services ever asked me for geolocation.

Sonos shares this information with them. It's in the privacy policy. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

All the music apps require this to some degree I would imagine(though I believe they don't require location permissions on your phone when used through Sonos app). But there are some people who don't use music services  and only their listen to their own music on their local network (shocking I know). 

If I was this type of person I might want to know why Sonos needs to know my precise location via my device to set up and use my speaker. In the OPs shoes I can maybe see this as unnecessary. 

But Im not that type of person and like KennyG I'm gonna go back to listening to music on my great sounding system through Spotify. 

My friend’s system is installed in an isolated room, it is not connected to the Internet. Yesterday I told him that now he will not be able to reconfigure it without connecting to the GPS. He is still in shock))

As stated, this is nothing new.  You had to give Sonos your location when you first set it up, otherwise, it would not be working today.  Stop with the silly lawsuit nonsense, any lawyer who hears your case will laugh you out of their office.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Sonos shares this information with them. It's in the privacy policy. 

No. SONOS does not provide them with any information. SONOS speaks about this in its privacy policy. SoundCloud never asks for your geolocation. They don’t need it. This is a free platform. As for TIDAL, it is important for them where the account is registered. But they determine the location by IP address. For example, my account is registered with a European IP, because in the USA a subscription costs 19.99$ and in Europe 9.99 euros. (~ $ 12) 

But you still have not heard the main thing. SONOS restricts users from the right to use purchased equipment if you do not provide location information. For many years, SONOS did not require this information, and since September it began to demand.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

As stated, this is nothing new.  You had to give Sonos your location when you first set it up, otherwise, it would not be working today.  Stop with the silly lawsuit nonsense, any lawyer who hears your case will laugh you out of their office.  

SONOS has never claimed your location. You are apparently mistaken.