Answered

Jittery TV Sound from Playbar

• 18 August 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge
We have an LG OLED TV connected via optical digital to our Playbar. We have a frustratingly intermittent (tends not to happen immediately) jittery/stuttering effect to the sound. Last time this happened I switched the TV to it’s own internal speakers - immediately fine, suggesting the problem lies with the optical output from the TV, a problem with the Playbar, or perhaps simply a dodgy optical cable. The same sound problem can occur with any source (TV itself, Apple TV, Sky Q Box) all of which feed out of the TV optical, which again narrows down the source of the problem. Has anyone had a similar problem and managed to fix it? Or can recognise what this might be?
icon

Best answer by ratty 18 August 2019, 23:36

It could be a fault on the TV. Or, if it's on the edge of the spec, it could be interacting with the cable just enough to throw the Playbar's ability to maintain a lock on the signal. Is the cable a long one? It might still be worth trying a different cable.

Do you have any other receiving device which could be used instead of the Playbar, to test the TV output?

Before condemning the TV, I suggest you reproduce the fault then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic. Post the confirmation number and someone can take a look. There are detailed logs in the Playbar.
View original

9 replies

Have you tried an alternative optical cable?

The Sky Q box presumably has an optical out itself. (Some Apple TVs do as well, but it depends on the generation.) What happens if you connect directly between the external device and the Playbar?
Badge
That will be my next elimination test and thanks for your reply. I just wanted to see if someone came straight back with a simple fix that would save any messing about. The really annoying thing is that it’s one of those faults that happens “sometimes” so we will have to change one thing and then see if it happens again, or not - so could be a long process! Hoping someone will come up knowing exactly what it is to save the drawn-out analysis! Meanwhile thanks again for responding.
Well, there are only three elements in play at present: the LG TV, the cable, and the Playbar.

Playbar has no consistently reported pattern of such faults, so that rather leaves the cable and the TV. The LG TV could possibly have a duff optical LED, but you'd probably only arrive at that conclusion by a process of elimination. Swapping cables is easy. If that fails to cure it, or you don't have a spare cable, then shoving the cable into the Sky box provides another data point.

By the way, excessive length (or poor quality) of optical cable can also cause this type of problem. Also, a simple point, but make sure the optical connector is pushed into the socket until it clicks.
Badge
Thanks again - working on the elimination process.

cheers

Adrian
Badge
Tested the cable from sky box and Bluray player optical outputs direct to Playbar - both fine. Combined with the unlikelihood of a fault of this nature in the playbar that suggests an intermittent fault with the TV’s optical out?
It could be a fault on the TV. Or, if it's on the edge of the spec, it could be interacting with the cable just enough to throw the Playbar's ability to maintain a lock on the signal. Is the cable a long one? It might still be worth trying a different cable.

Do you have any other receiving device which could be used instead of the Playbar, to test the TV output?

Before condemning the TV, I suggest you reproduce the fault then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic. Post the confirmation number and someone can take a look. There are detailed logs in the Playbar.
Badge
Ok thanks very much for the advice I’ll do that and also try a different cable but its short and does appear to be fine. Cheers - Adrian
It could be a fault on the TV. Or, if it's on the edge of the spec, it could be interacting with the cable just enough to throw the Playbar's ability to maintain a lock on Mycfavisit the signal. Is the cable a long one? It might still be worth trying a different cable.

I just wanted to see if someone came straight back with a simple fix that would save any messing about. The really annoying thing is that it’s one of those faults that happens “sometimes” so we will have to change one thing and then see if it happens again, or not - so could be a long process! Hoping someone will come up knowing exactly what it is to save the drawn-out analysis! Meanwhile thanks again for responding.
My experience with this is that it has been my DirectTV’s fault, in sending jittery sound through to the TV, which of course passes it to the Sonos. It may happen once or twice a month, but if I change the channel, or simply back up 30;seconds on the DVR, it goes away.