iTunes playlists not working in Sonos

Userlevel 1
I updated my Mac and iOS devices yesterday for the new Apple Music, but I have not activated Apple Music. Today, my iTunes playlists are not appearin in Sonos. I re-indexed my library, but that did not fix the problem. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

128 replies

Same problem here
Same problem here

Apple have changed the iTunes Music Library.xml to iTunes Library.xml. This needs a fix from Sonos, urgently, they're gonna have a lot of unhappy users.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We are looking into this. The latest update to iTunes (12.2.0.145) on both Mac and Windows PC computers has made some changes to the structure of the iTunes Music Library ".xml" file that Sonos reads to pull the playlists into our music library. These changes have made that file unreadable by Sonos players. 

If you've run this update on your iTunes, your iTunes Playlists will not be visible on Sonos.

We're working to resolve the issue and have reached out to Apple as well. We'll let you know as soon as we have more information available to share.
Userlevel 1
Thank you!
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the QUICK response. Makes sense. Work around for now is to just create a SONOS playlists for those playlists I can't live without.
Thanks!
Userlevel 1
Badge
I use this method as a temporary work around: - The file that iTunes uses to save updated playlists etc is now called "iTunes library.xml" - copy that from your iTunes folder on your mac to the iTunes folder on your external drive and all updated playlists are back. Unfortunately you will probably have to keep doing this after each change to an iTunes playlist until Sonos come up with an update. In the meantime it is possible to automate this action using "Automator" on the Mac and run the Automator script to update your playlists in iTunes to update the playlists that Sonos can see.. Or you could get he Automator to do this on initial boot up, so that just restarting your Mac after any iTunes playlist updates the playlists that the Sonos system will see. I hope that makes sense. I have done this and as a short term fix it works. Cheers, Pete P.S. Just re-read the OP - NOTE: I haven't tested this with the update that came out yesterday. I suspect it may be a similar problem to what I described above though which worked for the previous update. I am away now for 3 weeks so can't test it till I get home. Please post back here if the above work around will work with YESTERDAYS update. Thanks.
I use this method as a temporary work around: - The file that iTunes uses to save updated playlists etc is now called "iTunes library.xml" - copy that from your iTunes folder on your mac to the iTunes folder on your external drive and all updated playlists are back. Unfortunately you will probably have to keep doing this after each change to an iTunes playlist until Sonos come up with an update. In the meantime it is possible to automate this action using "Automator" on the Mac and run the Automator script to update your playlists in iTunes to update the playlists that Sonos can see.. Or you could get he Automator to do this on initial boot up, so that just restarting your Mac after any iTunes playlist updates the playlists that the Sonos system will see. I hope that makes sense. I have done this and as a short term fix it works. Cheers, Pete P.S. Just re-read the OP - NOTE: I haven't tested this with the update that came out yesterday. I suspect it may be a similar problem to what I described above though which worked for the previous update. I am away now for 3 weeks so can't test it till I get home. Please post back here if the above work around will work with YESTERDAYS update. Thanks.
It won't, structure of the file has changed.
Badge +3
That's correct - the structure of the iTunes Music Library XML file has changed in 12.2.
Badge +3
If you have not yet updated iTunes to 12.2 and wish to do so without breaking your Sonos Playlists, you can safely do so by disabling automatic indexing of your music library, and avoiding music index updates until we can release a fix.

To disable automatic indexing:

PC / Mac:
  1. From the Manage menu, select Music Library Settings and go to the Advanced tab.
  2. Uncheck the box that says Update content everyday at: [time]
iOS / Android:
  1. From the music menu touch Settings.
  2. Uncheck Schedule Music Index Updates.
If you have not yet updated iTunes to 12.2 and wish to do so without breaking your Sonos Playlists, you can safely do so by disabling automatic indexing of your music library, and avoiding music index updates until we can release a fix.

PC / Mac:
  1. From the Manage menu, select Music Library Settings and go to the Advanced tab.
iOS / Android:

Too late for us early adopters, what's the ETA for a fix?
Badge +3

PC / Mac:
iOS / Android:

We don't have a firm ETA right now but we're working to bring you a fix as soon as we can, likely within the coming weeks. Thanks for hanging in there in the mean time.
If your like me and needed a playlist for the 4th of July I exported my playlist from iTunes, saved it, added the new location within the Sonos settings and it now plays.  
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ok. Gotcha. I jumped it a bit too soon there with my original reply.. In the meantime I'll hold off on the iTunes update until the fix is out. Or follow John M's instructions and disable automatic indexing if I do want to update iTunes. Thanks John.
P.S. If you haven't updated iTunes yet, have your itunes music library somewhere other than where iTunes normally puts it or on a NAS drive; AND can't see your iTunes playlists in SONOS, what I described above will still work as long as you haven't updated iTunes recently.
Cheers
Pete
Userlevel 1
Badge

PC / Mac:
iOS / Android:

Thanks for the info John. Appreciate it. I've got a second SONOS system to install today, using a brand new Mac mini so hopefully it hasn't got iTunes 12.2 on it already. Just one question: will the planned fix incorporate playlist support for those of us that have our iTunes library on NAS drives as well as just fixing the problem with the new iTunes library XML file structure? Thanks in advance. Pete
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Is this because of the new 'iCloud Music Library' feature
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled imported playlists not there anymore. After updating my itunes to 12.2.0.145 (apple music) -- now my itunes playlists are no longer showing up under "imported playlists" on sonos. Anyone else see this? Any fix?
please SONOS help us and our playlists
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
They're working on a fix. 😉
Same problem here, I'll keep checking the App Store for SONOS updates.... 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Same problem here, I'll keep checking the App Store for SONOS updates.... :)
It's pretty likely that an Official Rep will post here when the issue has been fixed.

PC / Mac:
iOS / Android:

Am I mistaken in assuming that Sonos, as a dev, has access to early stage releases and therefore discover problems like this *before* everyone else does? I don't mind QA'ing this for you, but maybe there's a better way.
In the interim and in the interest of preserving my sanity I have found a work around.

If you go into iTunes and export your playlist from the file-library-export playlist menu, when you save the file go to the drop down and select .m3u.  Save it to a folder your Sonos is indexing (I created a new one for just this purpose) update your music library in Sonos and the playlist will work.

Its kind of a drag to have to export each playlist and manually update them if you change them but it will get you back functional in the short term. 
Userlevel 2
that is a very easy work around and should also give sonos reps a clue as to how to fix the problem.
I don't think its so much an issue of they don't know what to fix.  Apple changed the structure of the file that stores the data so they need to remap it all.  I think the comment about reaching out to Apple for help was to see if they have a developer document outlining the changes/ where things moved to.  This would significantly accelerate the process.