Answered

iTunes on Mac desktop won't connect with Sonos Beam via AirPlay

• 21 December 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

We have 2 Mac desktop computers in our house, both running Mac OS 10.4.6 (Mojave),ITunes 12.9.5.5.

We have a Sonos Beam with 2 Sonos One Speakers and a Sonos sub.

We are using Sonos App 12.2.2 and everything is S2.

One of our desktop Macs (a MacBookPro) can play music via iTunes/Airdrop to the Sonos system without any problem.

However the other Mac (an iMac) is unable to connect to the Sonos system, even when the MBP is turned off. We just get a message that iTunes in the iMac is unable to find a system to connect to.

Both computers are on the same wireless network with wifi turned on.

Can anyone help us figure out why one computer’s iTunes can connect via AirPlay 2 and the other one cannot? This would help in fixing the problem.

thanks

Caroline

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 15 January 2021, 01:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @dukiebluedoc.

Thanks for reaching out, let me check it for you.

To check some data from your system, please submit diagnostic reports through the Sonos app using both controllers (one on the Mac that works with Airplay 2 and one with the Mac that’s experiencing an issue) and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Badge +1

Sorry I could not find the Sonos app for submitting diagnostics via Mac on the Mac App Store.

Can you tell me the name and how to download it to both Macs?

Badge +1

Found the Sonos app and downloaded to both computers, then submitted diagnostics for both.

MacBookPro (can connect to Beam) diagnostic # 288143420

iMac (cannot connect to Beam) diagnostic #1255445319 

Badge +1

Annazel S

I have sent in diagnostics for both computers, see my most recent above.

Waiting for your replay.

Caroline 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @dukiebluedoc.

Thanks for your response and my apologies for the delayed response time.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, there are errors and symptoms indicative of interference that have been detected on one or more Sonos components running on the WiFi. Here are the common fixes that you can follow to try and resolve it:

• Reboot your router. Unplug your router from power for ten seconds and then plug it back in. Your router may take several minutes to come back online. When your network is back, try playing music on Sonos.

• Reboot your Sonos speakers. You can follow our guide on rebooting Sonos products to restart each affected speaker. 

• Clear up any wireless interference.  Here is our article on how to reduce wireless interference to improve the wireless environment.

Hopefully, that solves it but if not, it would be best to give our support technicians a call to have a closer look at this in real-time. I suggest our phone team for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the controller to see what's going on.

When calling, you can help us by also having a Mac or Windows computer available so we have the option to perform any hands-on troubleshooting and testing as needed.

​If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Badge +1

Thanks, Annazel, for your detailed response .

Yesterday, without doing any of the actions you suggested I tried to stream to the Sonos Beam from the affected iMac and it worked just fine.

Frustrating to not know why this did not work before and now does, but at least your answer gave me an array of options to try if the problem rears its ugly head in the future.

Caroline

As a guess, your router re-leased the IP addresses to the speakers, and cleaned up potential duplicate IP addresses. Which is mostly what Annazel’s solution would have done as well, with the caveat that it would be better for the Sonos devices to be unplugged while the router is rebooted.