Answered

iTunes Music Not Encoded Correctly

I am randomly getting an UNABLE TO PLAY SONG - THE SONG IS NOT ENCODED CORRECTLY when playing ITUNES Playlists. The surprise is that the song plays without any issue. So not sure why I am getting this random error message. Any suggestions?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 June 2018, 05:25

How old is the song? Did you purchase it through the Apple store, or did you rip it yourself? When you say "plays without any issue" do you mean on your Sonos, or do you mean in iTunes?

It's feasible that if the song is old enough, it would be in Apple's DRM, and consequently can't be read by any application outside of Apple's iTunes. Assuming you purchased it from Apple, you can delete the local file, and download a fresh copy, which will not have DRM any more. They ditched that several years ago now, so any new files you download won't be in that bad format.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

How old is the song? Did you purchase it through the Apple store, or did you rip it yourself? When you say "plays without any issue" do you mean on your Sonos, or do you mean in iTunes?

It's feasible that if the song is old enough, it would be in Apple's DRM, and consequently can't be read by any application outside of Apple's iTunes. Assuming you purchased it from Apple, you can delete the local file, and download a fresh copy, which will not have DRM any more. They ditched that several years ago now, so any new files you download won't be in that bad format.
I keep getting song not encoded properly or can’t connect errors when I try to play SiriusXM. Plays sometime. Very frustrating
It's a not entirely helpful error message, since it can also appear if the stream is being corrupted due to packet loss on the network. Look for wireless signal strength and/or interference issues.
Some of the songs that I get this error on are new songs so Apple's DRM should not be an issue. Plus all were purchased through iTunes. The strange issue is that even through I get this random error message that flashes on the screen and then disappears, the music plays perfect. No delays, no skips, nothing appears wrong
I am having the same issue with virtually every track "unable to play The song is not encoded correctly". My music library is located in iTunes on a laptop; SONOS is controlled from the same laptop. The songs play perfectly well on SONOS; the error message appears about 10-15 seconds from the end of each track, and has no effect other than annoy me. The error log in the app lists all occurrences. Network strength is good and there are no issues with the quality of playback.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the same issue with virtually every track "unable to play The song is not encoded correctly". My music library is located in iTunes on a laptop; SONOS is controlled from the same laptop. The songs play perfectly well on SONOS; the error message appears about 10-15 seconds from the end of each track, and has no effect other than annoy me. The error log in the app lists all occurrences. Network strength is good and there are no issues with the quality of playback.

Hi there,

It's possible that this error is popping up when your Sonos system loses connection to the streaming audio. Please submit a diagnostic report after this happens, and reply with the confirmation number, I'll take a look.
Diagnostic 102126416. Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Diagnostic 102126416. Thanks

Thanks for sending in the report. It looks like this report was sent from a computer different than the one where your music is stored. Is the laptop with your music still powered on and not asleep? If it goes to sleep, the music will become inaccessible.

It may help to rebuild the music share on that computer. Try removing the music share, than adding it back. This should rebuild the permissions in case that's the issue.
Sorry but it's the same laptop. I should repeat that playback is not affected; the music is not inaccessible, and performance is not compromised at all - in fact it is much better than it has been historically: I am part of the Beta program, which has involved removing the bridge (I suspect that this is the reason for the recent improvement.) Before you ask, the error was appearing before this removal. I have already rebuilt the music share and rebuilt permissions with no impact.
If you're part of the beta program, shouldn't you be posting in the beta forums? I think the chances of you getting help there that is appropriate is much higher than posting here.