Question

Issues with Move/Airplay/App

• 21 July 2020
  • 9 replies

• Contributor I
  • 5 replies

The last few weeks I’ve been having a lot of problems that are now starting to get very frustrating.

I’ve had the Move for around 3 months now and it has been working flawlessly up until now. It all started with not being able to find the Move from within the Spotify App and now I can’t find any of my devices from the Spotify App.

So I then move onto the Sonos App where my Move shows offline when it is off but as soon as I put it on, it disappears. I then try and find my Move on Airplay and you guessed it, I can’t find it. Sometimes if I just leave it on for 5/10 mins it will show but I miss it just being there and working instantly.

Love Sonos, love the Move but this is getting so so frustrating as just to play a song/podcast it takes 20 mins of messing around to get anywhere at all.

I reset my Move last night but that has done nothing, I’m on S2 and there are no updates available. 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please see my post :https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/tips-tricks-random-issues-impacting-sonos-devices-6845346

Thanks!

This seems to have made a difference instantly, hopefully keeps up over the next few days!

Probably a novice question here but how do you configure your router to reserve specific IP addresses? The walk through was really easy to follow and helpful, thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks!

This seems to have made a difference instantly, hopefully keeps up over the next few days!

Probably a novice question here but how do you configure your router to reserve specific IP addresses? The walk through was really easy to follow and helpful, thanks again.

In the router settings page, probably under DHCP. If you can't see it, please let us your make and model of your router.

Problem happened again so I managed to log in and reserve the IP addresses, I just used the same range as you recommended.

I have the BT Smart Hub, I logged in and selected the device I wanted to change, clicked always use this IP address then it allowed me to manually change it.

When I log into the hub it still states the old IP addresses but when I click into the device it’s the new ones I’ve set so I’m guessing it’s worked? It’s still also showing the old IP addresses on the Sonos App under my system, I’m guessing that might only update once it’s restarted and assigns the IP addresses again?

Do you put all your devices within that range as I’ve got stuff like my Philips Hue, Playstation, Nintendo Switch, etc but there has never been a noticeable problem with any other device apart from my Sonos Move?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Personally I'd assign a reserved IP address for all the major items of equipment on your network. The new address won't take effect until you reboot each item after assigning the reserved IP address.

Okay no problem I’ll do that then and hopefully this stops the problem occurring again, thanks for your help again.

Personally I'd assign a reserved IP address for all the major items of equipment on your network. The new address won't take effect until you reboot each item after assigning the reserved IP address.

Hi mate, I’m back again and was wondering if you could help me out (again!) please.

I managed to reserve all my IP’s and I haven't had an issue at all, everything has been working perfectly but my ISP just sent me out a new router so I’ve been trying to sort out my whole network tonight and have ran into a bit of a problem, I think.

I’ve reserved specific IP addresses for all my Sonos products however my Playbar keeps reverting back to its original and my Move is giving me a (Static) IP address and not letting me change it like the others which are (DHCP).

I may be being daft here but my Move seems to connect to my home network and not the network created through my Playbar as in the settings it looks like it’s connected wirelessly and not through the ethernet cable from my Playbar? Is this correct or should it be on the Sonos network created through my Playbar?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

I'm not sure why but as you've discovered the Move always connects via wi-fi even if the rest of you system is linked via SonosNet. There isn't anything that you can do to change this unfortunately.

The PlayBar however should be able to have a fixed IP address, just remember to power cycle the PlayBar after setting the IP address in the router.

Ah right I hadn’t noticed that last time when configuring the router so wasn’t sure if that had just happened with my new router.

Everything seems to be working okay just now but I think over time I’ll have the same problem. The Playbar is using a reserved IP address but just not the one I had set so I’ll see how it gets on using that. By default on this router all IP addresses seem to be set to ‘Always use this IP address’ which hopefully helps out.

Thanks again!