Issues adding CR100 or CR200 since 5.2

• 10 December 2014
  • 28 replies

I've been running into difficulties adding CR100's (The Russian Ipod's) and the CR200's to Sonos systems since the release of 5.2. Has anyone else experienced this issue? When adding to the system, it says "connecting" but this ends with an error message. This has happened on two separate systems. System reboot, different Sonosnet channels, factory reset, different router, using a Bridge, using a Boost etc. without any luck.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

I haven't had any trouble with CR100 or CR200. Make sure that there are no duplicate IP addresses. Also, the SONOS controllers need SonosNet. If you switched to WiFi, the controllers are stranded.
Thanks Buzz. It does not appear to be a duplicate IP issue. I've reset each controller, rebooted the router etc. Each of these systems are not on wifi. One uses a Bridge, the other a Boost. I've also tried removing the boost from the system and hardwiring a Connect and I am still unable to add the controllers. The CR100 is obviously very old and hadn't had a software update in about 5 years. However, the CR200 was brand new.
Userlevel 2
I've had exactly the same problems, with an RMA replacement CR200 - the usual touch screen failure. It moves to the next screen when I press both buttons on another component, so it's apparently able to talk to sonosnet. It then fails as described above and tells me to look at faq.sonos.com/setupH, which isn't very helpful because the URL doesn't work...

I did a bit of network monitoring and it's sending packets, but it's never getting as far as doing a DHCP request - so it's unlikely to be a duplicate IP address.

I've had a support ticket open for a few days, but not much progress as yet.
Each of these systems are not on wifi. One uses a Bridge, the other a Boost.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Normally, BRIDGE, BOOST, players, and controllers are all part of the same system and any controller can control all of the devices. If you have configured your players as two systems, as I have in my home, a controller can have visibility to only one system at a time.
One advantage to the CR100 and CR200 is you can test entirely separately from your network.

Assuming you are in SonosNet mode, try disconnecting ethernet cables from all your Sonos components, then power cycling one of them. After it boots up, try associating your controller to this device. If that works, then I would suspect the controller is having issues acquiring an IP address from your router.
Userlevel 2
I'll try that this evening Malcolm, although I don't see any DHCP requests from the controller on a packet log. Said packet log is on ticket 141206-000554.
I'll try that this evening Malcolm
Malcolm's test assumes that the power-cycled unit with drop into AutoIP in the absence of a wired connection from the system. The CR would also AutoIP to make an association with it.

Make sure your Sonos is not configured with your WiFi's SSID/key, otherwise all the units will attach to that instead.
Userlevel 2
Just tried the "disconnected" test - same result: the CR200 notices that I've pressed the buttons but then fails to connect, giving an error page after about 10s.

@ratty: my sonos stuff has never been connected over WiFi, so it won't have been able to get an IP address from anywhere after rebooting.
Userlevel 2
I've just tried an experiment with my other CR200, which is already running 5.2. After a factory reset I tried re-associating with the system - no problem at all. Obviously that doesn't help the other one get connected...
Just tried the "disconnected" test - same result: the CR200 notices that I've pressed the buttons but then fails to connect, giving an error page after about 10s.

In that case, I'd give our Support department a call. You can find contact details here:
www.sonos.com/support
Userlevel 2
In that case, I'd give our Support department a call. You can find contact details here:
www.sonos.com/support

Support call already in flight - although not with the usual response time I've come to expect. I phoned on Saturday, then a couple of holding emails but nothing useful as yet...
Userlevel 2
After an update to build 28184101 I can now update the controller. Looks like the initial 5.2 release didn't handle old controller firmware in some way.
Userlevel 2
Hi - I have the same problem with two older CR200s (two newer ones are OK).
My build is 28183040, and a request to update is met with the message that this is the latest version.
bkenward - how did you force the update to 28184101?
Userlevel 2

My build is 28183040, and a request to update is met with the message that this is the latest version.
bkenward - how did you force the update to 28184101?

I didn't have to do anything special, but it might be an invitation only update - I suggest you get in touch with support and mention my support ticket, which was 141206-000554.
Userlevel 2
Thanks bkenward - I've submitted a question to Support. I'll post again when I have a reply.
PP
Userlevel 2
Response from Support just now, asking me to update and then re-try associating the two older CR200s.

I have now managed to update to Build 28184101, and the CR200s have associated and updated.

I don't know whether the later build is now generally available, or if this was an invitation-only update as you suggest yours might have been, bkenward.

It's puzzling that Sonos doesn't show build numbers on the website; or at least give higher resolution version numbers.

Anyway, all fixed for Christmas!

PP
Userlevel 2
I am having this issue as well. Basically it tried to connect after 2 min it says it can not join the system with a number (1) after it. How can i do anything with this controller if it will not join. Appreciate any help someone can offer. My other 4 cr200's work fine and updated.
I am having this issue as well. Basically it tried to connect after 2 min it says it can not join the system with a number (1) after it. How can i do anything with this controller if it will not join. Appreciate any help someone can offer. My other 4 cr200's work fine and updated.
Welcome to the forums.

Which build number is the troublesome CR200 running? And which build are the successfully updated ones using?
Userlevel 2
Thanks. Sorry to be such a noob but the only options I get are pick the language then the sync page that fails. How would I be able to tell the build number?

Thanks again!!
Is there no 'About...' option on any menu which you can see? My C200 died so I can't go check....
Kingjew,

Go to the bottom of Music, to the bottom of Settings, to About.
Userlevel 2
That is the problem. If I could get to the music section or settings my cr200 would be synched to my system. I hard reset my cr200. It will not let me add it back to my 5.2 system. When I try to add it I get the error I mentioned. It will not connect with a number 1 at the end. Can anyone offer assistance?

Hope this makes sense. I can't get through initial setup and stuck on the connecting part. I have 16 zones. Ranging from ZP 80 to ZP 90 to ZP100 and ZP 120. Play 5-3-1s. All of them work. Thanks so much. Also 6 cr200's that do work. This one is my issue.
I would contact Sonos Support. If necessary they can remote into your PC and then Telnet into the CR200.
Userlevel 2
Thanks!!
My understanding is that build 28183040 which is the latest public release won't allow controllers with older software connect. Updating to 28184101 will fix the issue but it requires a call into support to have them add the patch to your system ID.