Answered

Issue with Symfonisk and Homepod using Airplay 2

• 25 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone,

We are currently experiencing an issue when airplaying from HomePod to Symfonisk, which makes us think that the Symfonisk speakers do not have the Airplay 2 functionality implemented correctly.

Room Setup: 

R1: HomePod 

R2: Symfonisk

R3: Homepod + Symfonisk

If we Airplay Apple Music on the HomePod (R3) to all of the speakers, then it says in the Sonos app within Now Playing that we’re playing music on all of the Symfonisk speakers and the music is playing properly.

However, if we then stop the music and start airplaying another song from HomePod (R1) to Symfonisk (R2), then the music will not be playing on Symfonisk (R2) and inside the Sonos app both of the Symfonisk speakers now still show as grouped and playing the content that was originally started in R3. 

It’s like Symfonisk (R2) do not know that it’s not part of the initial music group anymore. Anyone who know how to fix this issue? 

Please note that we already tried resetting all of the speakers, local network, Sonos app, and Apple Home app.

icon

Best answer by John B 26 June 2022, 12:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi.  The Symfonisk speakers are Airplay 2 compatible.  Beyond that I shall have to let Apple users address your query.  I shall just point out that when you use Airplay you are not really using the Sonos system, and so what is reported in the Sonos app may not be relevant.  I don’t understand what you mean by “airplaying another song from HomePod (R1) to Symfonisk (R2)”, as I thought HomePod was just a speaker.  But that is probably just my lack of knowledge on Apple products.

I don’t think Apple is implementing the Airplay protocol on all Sonos products and all other companies using that protocol. Therefore, I think that this most likely is a Sonos issue and about how they are implementing Airplay 2.

In case you want to know more about Airplay you can read about it here: https://developer.apple.com/airplay/

Apple don't implement Airplay on any Sonos devices. Sonos implement Airplay on their speakers by making them Airplay compatible. 

As I stated, Symfonisk speakers ARE Airplay 2 compatible, as the following document confirms 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US

When you use Airplay on Sonos speakers you are using a collection of Airplay 2 compatible speakers, not the Sonos system. (Although you can use the app to control some grouping)

My point was just that I think that is still a Sonos issue, regardless if I’m using purely Sonos or Airplay 2 as well. Why I included the information displayed in the app was just in case it helped with troubleshooting or maybe could tell something about the current state of the speakers when the bug is happening. 

Let’s please stay on topic, so if you have anything that can help me resolve my issue, please let me know. Otherwise, thank you for your input.

My point is that you are using an Apple technology and I doubt very much that there is a bug in Sonos that could cause an issue here. Whatever the cause, I hope you resolve the issue.