Issue with playing music from itunes folder on external drive. Error message 1002 when adding tracks to queue.

• 19 December 2013
  • 9 replies

I am having consisitnent issues with playing music from my Itunes folder, on an external drive. I get error message 1002 as well as the "network speed insufficient to maintain buffer playback". All goes back to normal when I do a complete reset of modem, router, bridge, wired sonos players, then wireless sonos players. But the problem returns the next day. Can you (Sonos) please advise me on how to address this issue? I recently replaced an older Airport Extreme router with the latest generation of Airport Time Capsule. Sonos system performance was mostly reliable until now. I was very careful to use the same settings on the new router.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Dickos,

You might be running into trouble with the wireless on the TimeCapsule overlapping with the wireless on Sonos. Can you please check the wireless channel your Sonos players are on and that of your router as well? 

Make sure that there are a good 5 channels between the two devices. I'd recommend turning off automatic channel scanning so the TimeCapsule doesn't change the channel to potentially overlap that of Sonos.

Is that USB drive hooked up to your Computer or your Time Capsule? 

Can you please submit a diagnostic from the system there so we can get a closer look at what's going on?

Cheers.
Hello Ryan,

Thanks for the response. I just submitted a diagnostic, here's the confirmation number: Your confirmation number is: 3306369.

I have my Sonos wireless channel set at 11 and my TimeCapsule channel set at 1. I've tried the 5ghz band on my TimeCapsule in Automatic mode as well as any of the manual channels with no success in eliminating these issues.

The external drive with my Itunes folder is connected by USB to my computer, MacBook Pro.

Thanks I look forward to learning what the diagnostic might tell you.

Dickos
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Dickos,

Thanks for that diagnostic. The Patio, Kitchen, Living Room and BRIDGE are all wired into the network and getting hit really hard with interference. The only wireless unit, Master Bedroom is actually doing alright, but it's having trouble reaching the rest of the system.

Are you able to wire Master Bedroom into the network too?

Is there one room that has trouble playing the Music library more than other? And is your MacBook wireless or wired in?

I'd recommend changing the Sonos wireless channel to 6 and submit a diagnostic after about 5 minutes. There shouldn't be any trouble with the 5ghz band, but try the Time Capsule down to channel 1.

Cheers.
Ryan, thanks for the update.

I am not able to wire the Master Bedroom into the network, unfortunately. Interesting about the reach, it's positioned 20 feet from the Bridge.

I usually have 3 zones playing at once- Living Room, Kitchen and Master Bedroom. The drops affect them all at the same time. My MacBook Pro is wired in.

I've changed the Sonos wireless channel from 11 to 6 as directed and here is the latest diagnostic # 3311719.

Can you comment on why the tracks can't be added to queue consistently? And can you comment on why playing music from my files is very inconsistent while Radio sources and Pandora work without any drops whatsoever?

Is the latest Airport TimeCapsule problematic with Sonos? I'll state again that my 4th Gen Airport Extreme worked almost flawlessly. Only when my ISP updates my modem do I have to reset......

Thanks,

Dickos
Hmmm......1 week later and no response from Sonos. Could somebody there please take a look at my diagnostic submission and let me know what you find?

Thanks,

Dickos
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Dickos,

Sorry for the delay. The new channel does look a lot better. If you are only having trouble playing off that Macbook as you described, it's likely due to it's network connection. The diagnostics show a few errors reaching the computer. If that Mac is wireless, can you check what the wireless channel your router is on? You might need to change the channels around on your router and Sonos to get the cleanest signal as it'll depend on what channels other wireless devices in the area (neighbors wifi networks even). Try putting your router at 11 and Sonos down to 1 to start with.

The error of being unable to add to the queue is related to the same problem, the system is timing out when trying to play from the Mac.If you're able to wire the computer into the network it will likely improve performance. Since the tracks are on a USB drive, that can also add some latency to the system. 

The Time Capsule has the ability to store files on it too, so I'd recommend putting a copy of your music library on there and sharing it to Sonos. That way we don't need to rely on the strength of your computer's connection. You can use a copying application, such as Deja Vu to keep your Music folder on your computer synced with the Time Capsule.

Cheers.
Ryan,

Thanks for your response.

I need to reiterate, as stated in my original query, my Macbook Pro is wired.

The second diagnostic I sent you is different (hardware-wise) from the first one in one way. I used my old Airport Extreme router with the same configuration as the Airport Time capsule. Your analysis says it looks better, my system has been performing flawlessly, no drops, no error messages, I can add long playlists to the queue with no issues. So that would logically lead me to believe that the issue is with the latest version of the Airport Time Capsule.

I'll repeat my earlier question-is the latest Airport Time Capsule problematic with Sonos? 

That is the only difference between the first diagnostic I sent and the second one.....

Dickos
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Dickos,

Thanks for the clarification. The second diagnostic looked cleaner, with less interference and not as many errors for failed playback. If you'd switched out the router, the new Time Capsule does have a stronger wireless card, so that would explain less interference. Most of your Sonos players are wired into the network though, so that shouldn't be too much of a concern. 

The only issue we've seen with new Airport routers involves broadcast storms if you have multiple Sonos players wired into the network. This has been resolved with the 7.7.2 update for them however. 

At this point, I'd recommend giving us a call on our Customer Care line if you're still having trouble. If you wind up putting that Time Capsule back in as the router, make sure you restart every one of your Sonos components. I've created incident 140104-000940 for you with our notes here so you don't have to start all over. Just give that number to the technician you speak with so they can pull up the notes.

Cheers.
I've had a similar problem. I used to have my music on my iMac's internal hard drive, but it got very low on space, so I moved my music to an external USB drive. The drive is ExFAT format. iTunes was happy with the move, I reset the location of my library and everything worked fine. I had no luck trying to get Sonos to go recognise the folder in the new location. After trying everything I read about on various forum sites I decide to have a last gasp attempt and I went via the "Networked device" option. I filled in the name of my iMac as it appears in finder and then the name of the USB drive as it appears in the finder and then the path - for example \\iMac\My_USB\folder_1\folder_2\Music
Sonos then asked for login credentials and it then happily indexed all the music and now it all works as it used to before I moved the library from the main internal drive