Issue with Hifi music (drop, unsync)

• 22 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I have since day 1 issue when playing flac Hifi music (Tidal, Deezer, flac files on my phone).

I have 2x sonos five, 2x sonos one.

The issue is EXTREME unsync music and rooms drops every single times when i select new music or if i forward and backward the music

I tried tons and tons of things that do not solve the issue at all.

The only solution i found is to plug every sonos speakers on ethernet cable OR  use MAXIMUM 2 speakers AT same time. If i play with more than 2 speakers, the issue come back again without ETHERNET cables.

These are the things that i tried yet.

-Try with SONOS Boost device enabled.
-Try with sonos boost and 1 wired speakers.
-Try with sonos boost and 2  wired speakers.
-Try without sonos boost with 2 wired speakers.
-Try to move sonos boost closer to my room, and farther.
-Try to move speakers anothers places.
-Try to change the router for a brand new one, with satellite lastest 6TH generation.
-Change IP adress.
-Tried all available routers channels into sonos app.
-Tried all available channels into router on 5ghz 
-Tried all available channels into router on 2.4ghz
-Bought the fastest ISP connection (400mbts/s, 12ms ping)
-Bought a new smarth phone phone (galaxy s20)
-Updated Galaxy S20 Android
-Updated SONOS S2 APP
-Reset every speakers and reinstalled all of them.
-Put only 3 speakers in only one room.
-Even try to put aluminium paper all around my smarth metter.

All these steps didn't works at all. The only solution that works is 
only to plug everytings on Ethernet cable.

Sonos support always told me that is interference issue in my house. It doesn't makes any sence since all my others devices in my house works perfectly well. NO ISSUES AT ALL. I stream 4k movies in my living room (same room than my sonos system). No issues for streaming 4k movies. If i was interference issue i should not be able to stream 4k MOVIES at all.

I don't know what is the problem but i think that Sonos System cannot handle at all hifi quality music.

Again, the issue only happen with hifi quality music NOT basic quality like amazon music.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Perhaps see if the things mentioned below may assist you to resolve your issues…

I would personally recommend you consider running all your products on SonosNet, if not doing that already … the difference in the connections and how the setup works are explained in this Sonos Support document:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235

So just wire your Boost (only) direct to your main router.

When opting for SonosNet (wired) mode, I would also suggest doing the following:

• Set the routers 2.4ghz WiFi to a fixed ‘non-overlapping’ channel 1, 6 or 11 and importantly choose a 20MHz channel-width.
  • Set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App “Settings/System/Network” so it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel.
  • Remove the WiFi credentials from the “Settings/System/Network” area in the S2 App as those are not needed when running on SonosNet and it will stop your devices hopping between SonosNet and your WiFi signal.
  • Ensure all Sonos products, particularly the wired one is at least 3 to 4 feet away from other Wireless devices including the router and other access points.
  • This next suggestion is optional, but often worthwhile... Consider adding the Sonos IP addresses to the local routers DHCP reservation table, as that too will improve stability, particularly during updates and reboots of the local network.
  • If your music library is shared across the LAN, using say a NAS box, then I also recommend wiring the NAS direct to the router.
  • If problems persist, then try a different ‘fixed’ non-overlapping 2.4Ghz WiFi channel, but ensure to keep the SonosNet channel at least 5 channels away from it.

Hopefully those few suggestion will assist to prevent audio dropouts when playing your audio… I also recommend checking out these two ‘hopefully’ helpful links too:

1. WiFi Interference
  2. Wireless Interference Video: Wireless Interference and Sonos

I hope that helps, otherwise if not, you may have to resort to wiring all the devices.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Thank you i will try that and i will give you some news soon!

• Ensure all Sonos products, particularly the wired one is at least 3 to 4 feet away from other Wireless devices including the router and other access points.

When you say ‘’Particurly the wired one’, do you mean the sonos boost or i need to wire a speaker with? Because you said ealier that i need to wire the boost only…

So just wire your Boost (only) direct to your main router.

Yes, just wire the Sonos Boost only to the router and set the Boost at least 3 to 4 feet away from the router… it’s reduces the potential for any interference of the SonosNet signal.

Set your Routers 2.4Ghz channel to fixed Chanel 1, 6 or 11 at a channel width of 20MHz and then set the SonosNet channel to anything other than the 2.4Ghz channel set on your router.

So if you choose to set your router to Channel 11, then set SonosNet to Channel 1 or 6, just as an example.