Answered

Issue connecting Sub (gen 3) to Arc

• 7 August 2022
  • 8 replies

I/ve been running into issues setting up my new Sub (gen 3) and Arc that I got this week. 

I was able to set up the Arc without any problems, but when I try to bond the sub to the arc I get an error message (unable to connect). This happens after I set up the sub, connect it to the wifi, and then try to associate the sub to the arc. 

I’ve tried resetting multiple times (requires a factory reset) and it just will not work. During the bonding process the sub status light goes from bright blinking white to solid dim white. The name of the arc after has a (+ ?) after it, and I can remove the sub. But can’t try re-adding it until I do another factory reset.

I’m using eero pro 6. I’ve turned off client steering and also forced the network to be 2.4GHz temporarily and none of this helps.

I just created a diagnostic report 765914184.

I tried contacting Sonos support but they apparently don’t offer weekend support (for a $1500 product is quite surprising) and don’t appear to offer email support either. 

I’ve tried searching here too and haven’t found anything that’s helped. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thank you in advance! 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 August 2022, 12:02

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Chris.Chapo 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Your speakers are certainly reporting issues with band-steering. I wasn’t aware there was an option in the Eero settings to disable this - perhaps they have added the feature?

I take it you are trying to bond a Sub to the Media Room Arc?

I think the best thing you can do for the stability of the system, and to successfully bond your Sub, will be to connect one of your Sonos speakers to the main Eero node with an ethernet cable (or via a switch if you need other devices connected too). Note that this needn’t be your Arc, and should not be a Sub. Should you need to move a speaker to do this, you may want to get a Boost to connect instead, but a longer ethernet cable will be much cheaper!

If that does help and you get your Sub bonded, you may be able to successfully switch back to WiFi, but given the disconnects reported, I recommend you keep one Sonos product permanently wired.

In addition, there seems to be a significant source of interference near that Arc - I recommend moving other WiFi devices at least 1m away from it - I realise, it being connected to your TV, that it’s bound to live near other devices, but if you can relocate any devices nearby that aren’t part of the Home Theatre setup, it should help. This includes other Sonos devices, so if the Sub is located next to the Arc, it would be best to find another location for it.

I hope this helps.

Thank you Corry! 

Yes, I am trying to bond a sub to the media room arc. 

I just connected the media room arc to the main Eero node via a switch. Also, I moved the sub I”m trying to bond about 15 feet as well. I’m not not able to get the bonding to work. 

I just created a new diagnostics report for this 695398122

Best,

Chris

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Chris.Chapo 

I’m not sure why I didn’t see your reply - apologies for the delay.

In that diagnostic, the Sub is bonded to the Media Room. If things still aren’t working as they should, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who will be in a better position to go through some troubleshooting steps with you.

It’s probably worth trying a reboot of your router before calling, in case that helps.

Thank you @Corry P ! After about 30-45 minutes, things just started working on their own and have been ever since. Thank you for your help!

Best,

Chris 

I have also had problems getting the Sub Gen 3 connected.  At the point when there is supposed to be a glowing area above the button, instead the blinking light goes from blinking green to alternating white and green and no glow appears to be used to connect the iPhone.  If I exit the Set Up on my phone, the light returns to blinking green.  Have tried direct connection to router, have reset router, reset sub, nothing changes. Will be contacting Sonos upon return from a trip out of town. The chat did give me a case number. It appears these problems are not unusual .  Plan on checking back here to see what develops.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

LED color codes:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-led-lights

Thanks, I have reviewed all the color codes, but cannot find white/green alternating leds explained.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Since you tagged onto the end of an answered topic the Sonos folks here might not see your post.

You might try the setup again and submit a diagnostic from the Controller and contact Sonos Support to get them to help you. The LED colors you are seeing stumped me too.