Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Sonos Employee
  • 5609 replies

Hi all,

If you’re experiencing any of the above, or your app is sluggish, then your Sonos set up may be suffering from “wireless interference”. In the video, you will see how to fix this annoying issue, and get back to listening to your favorite tunes, uninterrupted.

Feel free to let us know how to get along with the video. If you need any further assistance, we’re ready to help! :D

Please note that we also have a support article explaining how to change the wireless channel here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219

Still having problems? Grab a diagnostic and add it to your reply.

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android
From the Sonos music menu, touch Settings > Advanced Settings menu > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC
Select Submit Diagnostics from the Help menu.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

Sonos speakers now being recycled in the green bin, awesome customer support guys, cheers!

Badge

Hi everybody, I experience regular disappearances of the wireless player, I think I’ve applied all the advices but no luck. The details

My players:

- Sonos Play:1 (wired)

- Sonos One SL (wired)

- Sonos One (NOT WIRED) and in another room with respect to the other players

I have three wifi network in the house:

- WiFi network 1: wifi channel 6

- WiFi network 2 and 3: wifi channel 11

- SonosNet channel: 1

- No Sonos Boost

- No other devices close to the wireless player (no landline with cordless phone, one baby monitor in the same very large room but not close to the player)

I understand that even without a Sonos Boost the two wired players create a wireless network for the wifi player, am I correct? And the channel should be the number 1, am I wrong?

I have a wifi analyzer that says that normally on channel 1 there is no other signal in the surroundings. At the worst case, it detects a -90 dBm signal coming from a wireless router in another apartment.

I should add that the wifi Sonos player is some 30 feet away from the nearest wired player, that is in another room.

As I said, during the day I can experience two to three disconnections. For hours it can work regularly but randomly the wifi player disappears.

I’ve uploaded a few diagnostics, I’ll stick to the latest: n 391661885

Thanks a lot for any help!

MrGralich,

It’s not clear (to me at least) from your post, how your different WiFi networks are setup, if they are using the same network subnet, SSID’s, Channel Width etc. But…

Have you tried switching off your WiFi networks 2 & 3, perhaps on a temporary basis, just to see if that helps resolves your issue. (Assuming your devices are Wired to Network 1).

My thoughts are one of the networks are interfering with your Sonos Controller device(s) and perhaps your SonosNet channel too, which at the very least needs to be set to Channel 1, based on the WiFi channels currently in use. 

Badge

MrGralich,

It’s not clear (to me at least) from your post, how your different WiFi networks are setup, if they are using the same network subnet, SSID’s, Channel Width etc. But…

Have you tried switching off your WiFi networks 2 & 3, perhaps on a temporary basis, just to see if that helps resolves your issue. (Assuming your devices are Wired to Network 1).

My thoughts are one of the networks are interfering with your Sonos Controller device(s) and perhaps your SonosNet channel too, which at the very least needs to be set to Channel 1, based on the WiFi channels currently in use. 

Ken, first of all thanks for having taken the time to answer :-)

All the networks come from a single router:

the two wired Sonos players are connected via ethernet to that router, that creates the wifi network 1 (wifi channel 6) and, via two Apple Airports, other to wifi networks (wifi channel 11). On wifi network 1 there’s an SSID separation, so there’s a 2,4 and a 5 Ghz network, while the two other wifi networks created with the two Apple Airports create an unseparated network, so 2,4/5 Ghz networks that have the same name.

The SonosNet wifi channel as I highlighted is already set to 1.

I was under the impression that if I used different wifi channels I should have been safe… Don’t you think so? Could it be a ‘distance’ issue?

did try to switch off the wifi network for a while, but since the disconnections are random, I couldn’t appreciate differences. Maybe I should switch them off for some days…

Thanks a lot

MrG

MrG,

As you are using the same 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSID on all access points - I would try this:

• Give the 2.4ghz SSID on all access points the same name, use the same channel 1 for all and the same channel width - I recommend 20MHz only for this band.
  • Also give the 5ghz SSID on all access points the same name (but a different name to the 2.4ghz SSID), use the same channel (36 will do) for all ...and the same channel width - I recommend 40MHz for this band.
  • Leave your Sonos products wired and ensure you do not have any WiFi networks setup in the Sonos App in either of these locations “Settings/System/Network/Networks” & “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup”.. you only need to ignore this and leave a WiFi setup in the App if you have a Sonos Move device as part of your Sonos System.
  • Ensure the SonosNet channel in “Settings/System/Network” is set to either channel 6 or 11.

See if the above suggestion improves things for you.

Badge

Ok Ken, I’ll give it a try.

So you say:

- SSID separation (that so far is not complete because on one Wi-Fi network I have 2,4/5 GHz non-separated)

- change channels

- same names for the two 2,4 and the two 5 ghz ntwks: why, if I may ask? Do you think the names can have something to do with it?

Thx

Badge

- same names for the two 2,4 and the two 5 ghz ntwks: why, if I may ask? Do you think the names can have something to do with it?

Thx

P.S. Point is: I don’t think I can give the same name to the networks since the routers have constraints with the names...

Thx

P.S. Point is: I don’t think I can give the same name to the networks since the routers have constraints with the names...

The 2.4ghz band on each WiFi access point should be given same name, for example “MyNetwork-2G” (also ensure the channel (ch 1) and channel width (20 MHz) are set exactly the same) …. and the 5ghz band on each WiFi access point should be given same name, for example “MyNetwork-5G”  (also ensure the channel (ch 36) and channel width (40 MHz) are set exactly the same).

Hi I have all issues that you mentioned, music drops in 1, 2 or all speakers, sometimes only 1 speaker works, sometimes some speakers are not available. 1853351510.

I have 1 One, 1 One SL an and play 5

Thanks for your help

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @pipecruz,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern.

Upon checking the diagnostic, there's an interference in your wireless network that may be caused by wireless congestion or low wireless range and detected an audio dropout in your due to sync error, and playback failure.

Let me suggest the common fixes for audio interruptions while playing from a music service on Sonos. If you are listening to a different source, see our other audio troubleshooting articles for more help.

1. Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
    • Test playback from your Apple music and observe.
  2. If you have access to your router settings, below are the settings that need to be verified. You can contact your Interner Service Provider or router manufacturer for assistance.
    • The auto channel must be set to Off
    • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)
    • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz
    • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled
    • UPnP should be enabled
    • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n
    • Airtime Fairness should be disabled (if applicable)

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same problem, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to perform in-depth troubleshooting and understand your full network setup. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to provide the best option for you. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.