Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Sonos Employee
  • 5609 replies

Hi all,

If you’re experiencing any of the above, or your app is sluggish, then your Sonos set up may be suffering from “wireless interference”. In the video, you will see how to fix this annoying issue, and get back to listening to your favorite tunes, uninterrupted.

Feel free to let us know how to get along with the video. If you need any further assistance, we’re ready to help! :D

Please note that we also have a support article explaining how to change the wireless channel here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219

Still having problems? Grab a diagnostic and add it to your reply.

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android
From the Sonos music menu, touch Settings > Advanced Settings menu > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC
Select Submit Diagnostics from the Help menu.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

Hit reply too quickly.

Based on the symptoms you describe, I'm going to hazard a guess that you've got some duplicate IP address issues with your speakers. I'd try unplugging them from power, then rebooting your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices, and see if that makes a difference to the experience. If that does work, I'd encourage you to look in to reserving IP addresses for all of your network devices in your router's DHCP table.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have two Sonos One's (about two months old) in one room - they are 10 feet from a brand new xfinity wireless router. Up until this week they have been great, but as of this week they are unusable - they intermittently drop connection entirely, stop playing music and won't reconnect for several minutes, they skip songs, airplay works even worse and will only connect and work about 33% of the time. I have changed nothing about them or my room, they haven't moved an inch. I have tried changing my wireless channel on my router to several different channels to no avail, Ive tried resetting them both to factory settings and setting up the room from scratch. Nothing has managed to help. I have no problem chrome casting in the living room, I have no problem streaming music through any outlet. Please help me, this investment has become a pair of paper weights.

Diagnostics report: 1177339349

Hi there,

Your speakers are having a hard time staying connected to your wireless network. This is probably due to the high number of nearby networks running on the same channel as your own. Try changing your router's wireless channel to 11 and test things out again.

Hi all,

If you’re experiencing any of the above, or your app is sluggish, then your Sonos set up may be suffering from “wireless interference”. In the video, you will see how to fix this annoying issue, and get back to listening to your favorite tunes, uninterrupted.

Feel free to let us know how to get along with the video. If you need any further assistance, we’re ready to help! :D

Please note that we also have a support article explaining how to change the wireless channel here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219

From the Sonos music menu, touch Settings > Advanced Settings menu > Submit Diagnostics.

Diagnostics code: 1112429071.

We have recently been experiencing music streaming from Spotify and Apple cutting out regularly. I’ve updated the app, switched channels, unplugged all the speakers, re-booted the router and changed which unit is connected to a cat5 cable.

Radio stations streaming through TuneIn work fine.

We use Ubiquity access points for our wifi, and the hard wired device is connected to our modem through a switch. We don’t have any other issues with any of our other devices (security cameras, tv’s, etc.), and hoping to get this sorted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@tanjie.kevin ,

Thanks for the report. Overall, the wireless environment looks okay. Wireless channel 6 may be a bit better for your Sonos system, as it's less crowded. You have a group of 11 speakers set up. This can use quite a bit of bandwidth, do you have any issues playing to smaller groups?

Right now you have a Play:3 wired into your network. It's handling the communication for all of your other speakers. It may help to wire in another unit or 2 to help balance the wireless load.

If you're still having issues, send along a new report and I'll take a look.
@tanjie.kevin ,

Thanks for the report. Overall, the wireless environment looks okay. Wireless channel 6 may be a bit better for your Sonos system, as it's less crowded. You have a group of 11 speakers set up. This can use quite a bit of bandwidth, do you have any issues playing to smaller groups?

Right now you have a Play:3 wired into your network. It's handling the communication for all of your other speakers. It may help to wire in another unit or 2 to help balance the wireless load.

Thanks Jeff, I’ll try hard wiring another unit. I had the same issues with fewer speakers on channel 6 as well.

@tanjie.kevin ,

Thanks Jeff, I’ll try hard wiring another unit. I had the same issues with fewer speakers on channel 6 as well.

I tried hard wiring another unit, the Playbar, and it created a bunch of other unrelated issues. Caused our wifi to shut off and on, and the app wouldn’t recognize the wifi signal so that isn’t an option.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@tanjie.kevin ,

I tried hard wiring another unit, the Playbar, and it created a bunch of other unrelated issues. Caused our wifi to shut off and on, and the app wouldn’t recognize the wifi signal so that isn’t an option.

If you connected a speaker to a wireless extender on your Ubiquiti mesh, it may have made a network loop. If you can wire another Sonos unit into your router, switch, or main Ubiquiti hub, it may help.

Otherwise, it may be best to continue troubleshooting this live with our phone team. They have more tools available. You can find our phone number and hours here.
Hey there,

a couple of days ago I bought a set of new IKEA shelf speakers and do like them quite a lot.

Unfortunately i have experienced TuneIn acting very unreliably, having intermittent hiccups. The speakers also diappeared repeatedly from the menu. Right now I am testing Spotify and performance so far seems fine.

I have the Sonos Boost installed (Wifi-data deleted), so the connection should be stable.

Diagnose number is 1011473832.

Thank you for any help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey there,

a couple of days ago I bought a set of new IKEA shelf speakers and do like them quite a lot.

Unfortunately i have experienced TuneIn acting very unreliably, having intermittent hiccups. The speakers also diappeared repeatedly from the menu. Right now I am testing Spotify and performance so far seems fine.

I have the Sonos Boost installed (Wifi-data deleted), so the connection should be stable.

Diagnose number is 1011473832.

Thank you for any help.

Hi there,

If you're still running into this issue, try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using. There are wireless communication errors between your components, possibly caused by wireless interference from nearby networks. You might also try moving your Boost if it is near any third party electronics which could cause interference.
I am having constant problems with speakers cutting off after about 30 mins ish. I have submitted diagnostics in the hope it will help.
I have previous factory reset router and all my speakers. But this has made no difference.
I have checked that I still have internet connection and it is there. I also cannot connect to Sonos at this point. I have pressed start and it seems to start working again.
Also it happens all times of day and week.

Hi - we recently started experiencing several issues with our speakers cutting out. We typically use Spotify to stream and don’t have an issue with it on Bluetooth and other speakers. I’ve changed the Sonos network channel between 1, 6 and 11 to no avail. Our speakers are connected using the original bridge but seems like we are constantly getting a ton of interference. We have incredibly fast internet so at a complete loss for why music keeps dropping. 

Here is the diagnostic I just submitted. 

Hi - we recently started experiencing several issues with our speakers cutting out. We typically use Spotify to stream and don’t have an issue with it on Bluetooth and other speakers. I’ve changed the Sonos network channel between 1, 6 and 11 to no avail. Our speakers are connected using the original bridge but seems like we are constantly getting a ton of interference. We have incredibly fast internet so at a complete loss for why music keeps dropping. 

Can you disconnect the Bridge and direct wire one of the speakers in your system, see if that helps?  The Bridge is getting up there in age and sometimes is more of a hindrance than help.

Thanks Melvimbe. I’ll try that. 

Can you disconnect the Bridge and direct wire one of the speakers in your system, see if that helps?  The Bridge is getting up there in age and sometimes is more of a hindrance than help.

Hi Danny - reconnected and hard wired to one of the speakers but seem to still be getting some drop out. 

Another diagnostic number in case they look here. 

I have one Ikea Symfonisk wired to my network and another one wireless in SonosNet. 

Very often the wireless speaker is dropping out. Spotify plays part of the song and then sometimes skips to the next or stops. Streaming radio jump back several hours in time. This happens several times a day.

SonosNet is not on the same channel as my WiFi.

I have a diagnostic number from when the radio skipped back in time: 1692745839

Badge +1

Before you try to fix the wireless issue, try the wired, closed network if you can. All you need to do is simply wiring any of your Sonos products to your router, and your system will switch over automatically. You will need to keep one of your Sonos products wired to your router permanently in this configuration. Your easiest solution to wireless issues may be to switch to the wired network!

e5227444-2179-43db-80ef-9baf296c5500.png

Hi there. Sonos app no longer appears on Spotify. Both apps are updated and Spotify reconnected to Sonos and both devices are on the same Wifi network but still no change. I have submitted a diagnostic number 895071422. Any ideas?

Hi all,

When I add a song to the queue in Apple Music when using Airplay 2 the music cuts out for a second before playing again. Happened on my Amp and the Sonos One’s (in stereo). It does not happen when using Spotify on Airplay 2 (making it Apple Music specific) And it does not happen when streaming to my Apple TV from the same sources (making it Sonos specific).

My diagnostics: 669892687
I just added a song to the queue a second before sending the diagnostics. So if the reason why it happened is in there it should be easy to find.

Hi @Ghmd_S.

I have taken a look at your diagnostic report and I do see discarded packets of information coming from Airplay 2. This usually indicates that Sonos is not receiving a reliable line of communication from the music source via Airplay 2.

You have said that this happens when you add the music to your queue with Airplay 2. Are you adding the music to your Apple Music app, then casting the music via Airplay 2?

Hi @Ghmd_S.

I have taken a look at your diagnostic report and I do see discarded packets of information coming from Airplay 2. This usually indicates that Sonos is not receiving a reliable line of communication from the music source via Airplay 2.

You have said that this happens when you add the music to your queue with Airplay 2. Are you adding the music to your Apple Music app, then casting the music via Airplay 2?

Correct. I am using the Apple music app on iOS. And casting through AirPlay 2 to a Sonos Speaker or Amp.

it happens very predictable when adding a song or album to the que. it’s not random. I have no problems with streaming in any way. Besides this and  sometimes the second Sonos One comes in a little behind the first one (in a stereo setup).

Thanks for the response. 

The Sonos speaker when utilizing the Airplay 2 just acts as a target. To unsure we are getting as least amount of interference as possible, would it be possible to temporarily hardwire the targeted Sonos player to the router and assess if the issue is still present?

Usually if the Sonos speaker works fine and it identified on the Sonos app but not on the Airplay 2 function, the issue is communication between the sources.

We have one Symfonisk speaker, two Play:1s, and one Play:5. All in different rooms. Recently music will cut in and out on one speaker when playing to a group of one or more. This mostly happens when streaming from Radioooo via Airplay, but sometimes also when playing Apple Music via the Sonos app. The diagnostic number is: 

Hi @Beth S. Thanks for posting.

I have taken a look at your diagnostic and your Airplay 2 audio stream seems to buffer a lot. Interference is a usual suspect. How does the Sonos system function when one of the speakers are hardwired to the main Eero router directly?

Previously, these device disconnect disappearance issues werent really noted or did not happen.  The new controller app update and firmware updates have done something.  It took few attempts to get my speakers connected via phone support.  I have a very fast wifi and dedicated mesh.  I also have hardwired setup available.  The speakers are all in same family room.  Not sure how wifi interference can occur here when it doesn’t happen to any of my other non Sonos devices?  It took few attempts to get the sonos sl ones and the sub connected in the app.  

If this keeps up, then the quality of product and ease if app use is going down.  The whole idea was to try Sonos va Bose.  Bose app may be cheesy, but it seems to be more stable as my buddies put it.  Starting to feel regret, especially, after the last tech I communicated with.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello,

I have a Port connected via ethernet to a switch (which is hardwired to our router), wifi on the Port is disabled. The output is connected to the CD input of an Onkyo TX-NR656. The output of the Onkyo goes to a 7.1 speaker setup (rear speakers are wireless) and the output is set to “all channel stereo”. I consistently get intermittent/random dropouts on all speakers with this setup. The music never plays back more than a minute, and dropouts can happen as frequently as every few seconds. The source of music doesn’t matter. Audio dropouts occur regardless of the selected “listening mode” on the Onkyo.

I do not have this problem on my five other wireless Sonos devices (One, pair of Play:1, and pair of Play:3).

I do not have any audio dropouts when using the Onkyo with other A/V devices.

The Port is located in the living room in the “media center” with open open shelving. 

I have confirmed that I have the latest app on my iPhone and the latest updates applied to the Sonos hardware.

I’ve submitted a diagnostic, the confirmation number is: 1600291032.

Thank you.