Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Sonos Employee
  • 5609 replies

Hi all,

If you’re experiencing any of the above, or your app is sluggish, then your Sonos set up may be suffering from “wireless interference”. In the video, you will see how to fix this annoying issue, and get back to listening to your favorite tunes, uninterrupted.

Feel free to let us know how to get along with the video. If you need any further assistance, we’re ready to help! :D

Please note that we also have a support article explaining how to change the wireless channel here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219

Still having problems? Grab a diagnostic and add it to your reply.

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android
From the Sonos music menu, touch Settings > Advanced Settings menu > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC
Select Submit Diagnostics from the Help menu.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

Or, perhaps take a few minutes to clean up your local wifi, and I think that would resolve 90% of the issues, if not more, that you're experiencing. I've had 17 (?) Sonos devices for quite a few years, and never had an issue, once I figured out how to assign them reserved IP addresses, and keep my local wifi signal separate from my neighbors. WIthout that, I could see lots of potentials for issues, which you seem to be experiencing all of.

You might want to try reaching out to Sonos with a diagnostic, they might be able to help you, if you provided them enough information for them to investigate with.
Hi I'm having the issues described in the original post with a wired Sonos Connect. Diagnostic is 853323471
Device room name is Finn. Do you have any advice?
I am about to lose it with Sonos. I call and am on hold for over an hour. Oh, and of course no support on weekends or early hours, which are the best times for me to call as a business owner. It is difficult for me to troubleshoot middle of the day when people are inside my business!!!!

Just ran diagnostic 1352711067. We recently installed the Pandora for Business Mood Music Player, which is connected to our Sonos Connect. We also have two Play 3 speakers. When we installed the new Sonos Connect, the Sonos app forced us to do an update.

Issue 1: Only one Play Speaker is working. For the second Play 3 speaker, we tried to unplug it, restart, unplug, etc. We either receive a flashing white light or solid white light.

Issue 2: CONSTANT MUSIC SKIPPING. This happened in the past when we tried to line in another music source.

PLEASE HELP. This is driving my clients, and employees, NUTS.
701550390 Sonos cuts out
Badge
I would appreciate some extra information about what might be going on with my Sonos setup.
I have one Play 5 which is plugged into my main router.
I have a airport in bridge mode also connected to that router.
Another airport in the bathroom extending the range.
A play bar receiving toslink from the tv and connected wirelessly to sonosnet.
A play 5 close to the other play 5, connected wirelessly to sonosnet.
A play 3 in the bathroom, near the airport but not connected to it. Connected wirelessly to sonosnet.
A boost in the bedroom, connected wirelessly to sonosnet to extend the range.
Two play 1s in the bedroom in stereo.

Wifi has always been a curse in my apartment. It’s only small but there’s so much interference (a million other 2.4GHz networks nearby).

The biggest problem is playing TV input, it never comes to the bedroom speakers consistently. But often the system drops out and can’t even play music from Spotify.

I’ve tried so many different combinations of network setup, and they work better at first, only to deteriorate over time. Perhaps when the neighbours fire up their bittorrent and completely flood the airwaves!

I’m looking into yet another wifi solution to a) improve internet connectivity to the bedroom and b) finally resolve Sonos, but I’m skeptical anything will work.

Pre-troubleshooting:
- the hardwired play 5 is about a metre from the airport base station
- the boost is far away from anything electronic
- I have tried variations of my router being in bridge mode or the airport being in bridge mode
- I’ve tried all kinds of locations around the house for the airports and the boost
- I am familiar with changing the sonosnet channel, I do it every half hour on some nights (wish it was a big button on the now playing screen instead of buried in 3 lays of advanced settings!)

My diagnostic number is 1112571631. If there’s some really clear indication of what is causing these problems, that would help so much!

Thanks
Jarrod
I never had any problems with my Sonos system until the 9.0 update. Now it's all but unusable from my iOS devices. Constant music skipping, changing songs, cutting out. I've tried Boost mode with a connect, streaming through wireless, changing the wifi channel, even setting up a dedicated 2.4ghz network - in short all the stuff and more recommended to fix poor wireless performance. As a stopgap I'm using the MacOS app, but it's a lot less convenient. Any other ideas?
Set up reserved IP addresses for your devices? Submit a diagnostic and call Sonos to check on what they see in it that might help you?
Having a big problem with music skips. The only time this happens is music sourced from my phone. Pandora plays fine. I have an Iphone X for the controller and music. Sonos setup is a Boost with a play 3 in the same room not connected. I also have a playbar with a sub. There is one Play 1, another Play 3, and a Connect on another floor. The Boost and 3 are in the same room as the Modem/Router. The boost is a good three feet away from the router and the play 3 is about a foot. I have Xfinity with their mesh pods so wifi is strong throughout the house. Diagnostic is 1662108366

Thank you!
Two stereo-linked Play:1 speakers, great for about six months but now dropping out so regularly it’s impossible to enjoy much.
I tended to play music via my iPad Air, much skipping through tracks of albums, radio via Tunein drops.
Changed channels on the router to a less busy channel.
Have an Amazon dot about three feet from one of the speakers.
Diagnostic report submitted, #1138330419
Thinking of getting my stereo and CD's down from the loft...
Clearly, the number and frequency of issues stemming from using iPhones with SONOS speakers after upgrading to v9.0 of the controller suggest that the issue is a coding one. Curious as to when SONOS will step up and if not admit that there's a problem, at least resolve it.
Hello,
I have a system comprising of a SonosBeam and 3 Sonos:One speakers. There are 2 groups in my system: 1 for my kitchen and 1 for my Living Room. The Beam is via ethernet on a switch which is open to the internet...
Now the Kitchen Sonos:One gives a lot of issues. I can only use it in combination with the other group. If I try to use it separately - I always get error messages (it looks as if the connection to the internet is very bad). I have run a diagnostic and have the number 538001542
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

We're looking into an issue that causes iOS streaming playback problems when the devices go into auto-lock, and there are other AirPlay devices on the network. We'll send an update when we have more to share.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Skipping, "rooms" disappearing, music stopping altogether, everything all the previous posts are complaining about is true for me as well. Started about two months ago after close to 4 years of flawless performance. Since then I have countless emails with diagnostic submissions in addition to over 15 hours on the phone with Sonos tech support. Obviously frustrating, even more so when an agent contradicts what a different agent said the previous day.

I'm waiting now to call in for the third time this week having followed yesterday's instructions, which didn't work. Waiting because the recorded message says the wait time is "over an hour". Just wanted to make the point here that this is not limited to iPhones. I occasionally access through an AirBook but mostly from my Android Pixel 1.

Not giving up on you yet Sonos, in part, because I have too much invested in your products. But there is a limit to patience. Pretty sure you know there is a software issue. If so, acknowledge it, work to correct it, tell us you are, and I'll stay off the phone. For awhile.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Skipping, "rooms" disappearing, music stopping altogether, everything all the previous posts are complaining about is true for me as well. Started about two months ago after close to 4 years of flawless performance. Since then I have countless emails with diagnostic submissions in addition to over 15 hours on the phone with Sonos tech support. Obviously frustrating, even more so when an agent contradicts what a different agent said the previous day.

I'm waiting now to call in for the third time this week having followed yesterday's instructions, which didn't work. Waiting because the recorded message says the wait time is "over an hour". Just wanted to make the point here that this is not limited to iPhones. I occasionally access through an AirBook but mostly from my Android Pixel 1.

Not giving up on you yet Sonos, in part, because I have too much invested in your products. But there is a limit to patience. Pretty sure you know there is a software issue. If so, acknowledge it, work to correct it, tell us you are, and I'll stay off the phone. For awhile.

There are many things which could cause what, in effect, are communication errors across your network and Sonos system. Most of the time these sorts of issues are caused by wireless interference or network congestion of some sort. There are other issues as well, which may explain some of what you've mentioned. Please submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number. Also, please reply with a concise description of the issue you're seeing.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
"There are many things which could cause what, in effect, are communication errors across your network and Sonos system. Most of the time these sorts of issues are caused by wireless interference or network congestion of some sort. There are other issues as well, which may explain some of what you've mentioned. Please submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number. Also, please reply with a concise description of the issue you're seeing."

Thanks for the prompt reply Jeff but I'll pass on your suggestion to provide "a concise description of the issue". As I said previously I've done that in countless emails and phone calls. Nothing changes. Unless you or someone else can acknowledge you know there is a problem and are working on it I'll call in again to see what tech support has to say. I don't have faith in getting answers here, at least not for this problem. There are over 200 replies in this chain with no solutions that work.
If there was a problem, there would be 1000's of posts in a day, like there was when the Playbar had an actual problem.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926/index1.html

That's 76 pages in couple days, never mind the other threads. It was also well publicized in the press. This thread is 9 pages in 11 months and there is nothing in the press about a problem with the update.

Sorry, but Jeff S is correct. For an explanation why and a tip that works for 95% of the problems seen after an update (and prevents it from happening again), read the following:

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
"There are many things which could cause what, in effect, are communication errors across your network and Sonos system. Most of the time these sorts of issues are caused by wireless interference or network congestion of some sort. There are other issues as well, which may explain some of what you've mentioned. Please submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number. Also, please reply with a concise description of the issue you're seeing."

Thanks for the prompt reply Jeff but I'll pass on your suggestion to provide "a concise description of the issue". As I said previously I've done that in countless emails and phone calls. Nothing changes. Unless you or someone else can acknowledge you know there is a problem and are working on it I'll call in again to see what tech support has to say. I don't have faith in getting answers here, at least not for this problem. There are over 200 replies in this chain with no solutions that work.

There is no one solution as there is no one issue. As I said, there are many potential causes for issues as described here. I can try to help you with your issue, but can't do so without more information.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
"If there was a problem, there would be 1000's of posts in a day, like there was when the Playbar had an actual problem.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926/index1.html

That's 76 pages in couple days, never mind the other threads. It was also well publicized in the press. This thread is 9 pages in 11 months and there is nothing in the press about a problem with the update.

Sorry, but Jeff S is correct. For an explanation why and a tip that works for 95% of the problems seen after an update (and prevents it from happening again), read the following:

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details."

Thank you too jgatie for your suggestion. Once again, I'm way past these fixes including Sonos tech support taking control of my screen making corrections themselves numerous times. I have static IP's set up at the direction of one support agent only to be told by another a few days later I shouldn't have done that. I'm certain this is a network issue but I suspect it is the result of a conflict between Sonos software and network settings.

We stream TV (PlayStation Vue), use our computers, phones, and tablets without problems for everything but Sonos.

"For an explanation why and a tip that works for 95% of the problems seen after an update (and prevents it from happening again), read the following." Maybe me and a lot of the others in this thread are part of the 5%.

Thank you too jgatie for your suggestion. Once again, I'm way past these fixes including Sonos tech support taking control of my screen making corrections themselves numerous times. I have static IP's set up at the direction of one support agent only to be told by another a few days later I shouldn't have done that. I'm certain this is a network issue but I suspect it is the result of a conflict between Sonos software and network settings.

We stream TV (PlayStation Vue), use our computers, phones, and tablets without problems for everything but Sonos.

"For an explanation why and a tip that works for 95% of the problems seen after an update (and prevents it from happening again), read the following." Maybe me and a lot of the others in this thread are part of the 5%.

Regardless, it is almost certainly a networking problem, not a Sonos problem. I gave an example of an actual problem with Sonos software above, and this is not it. But hey, I gave it a shot. Even though there are a couple other things in that 5% (auto shifting WiFi channels, split networks), you seem convinced it is a Sonos problem, so I'll not try to help again.

I wish you good luck finding a solution.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Pulling my hair out. Intermittently cutting out sound from speakers. 389145027
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Pulling my hair out. Intermittently cutting out sound from speakers. 389145027

Thanks for sending in the report. When grouping speakers you're increasing the bandwidth needed. In your case, you have a 17 speaker group. Do you get audio drop outs with smaller groups or only with larger groups?

It also looks like your BOOST is having a hard time communicating wirelessly with a couple of your speakers. The Bedroom (L) and Denon kitchen units in particular. Are there any third party wireless devices nearby? Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using and see if that improves things.

You may also want to check your BOOST to make sure it's not set too closely to your router, generally it's best to keep a couple feet in between them.

Another option that may help would be to wire in more than just your BOOST. The more wired units you have, the more system stability.

Also, the source of the audio can play a factor. For example, if you're streaming from a mobile device, its wireless connection can play a part. What is the source of the music you're listening to?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thank you for your in depth reply. The drop outs are less frequent in smaller groups. I'll try moving boost. I'll disconnect Denon speaker for now to see if it's causing a problem. (Connect connecting kef speakers) the bedroom L is close to not far from router so I wonder what problem is there? The source varies. Today for report it was Google play through Sonos app. But I sometimes use Alexa through Sonos one, or echo dot connected to play 5.
I'll try wiring a second speaker also.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I've a Chromecast connected to second play 5 that I cast to as well.
Hello,
in addition to my earlier post; Something which is bizarre is the following when trying to play music on my group in "Keuken".
When I start the player in Keuken only, ot doesn't work. When I start together with the other group (TV) it doesn't work.
If I then start music on TV and add it later to group Keuken it works. however, as soon as I want to stop it in the TV-group.IT doesn't work anymore...
very bizarre. I do not think it is a wireless interference issue because then it would never work in my view...
can somebody hel p me out?
Hi folks,

We're looking into an issue that causes iOS streaming playback problems when the devices go into auto-lock, and there are other AirPlay devices on the network. We'll send an update when we have more to share.

Hi Jeff - FWIW, I've submitted these support diagnostics for this issue: 644180264

I never had these issues before 9.0. I've got a Unifi network with multiple APs, not a connectivity problem, plenty of bandwidth and signal strength. Since the issue, I've tried setting up a single AP for the sonos on the best channels as well as trying sonosnet - still encounter the issues.

Happy to provide more diagnostics or jump on a call to discuss with support/eng if needed.