Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Sonos Employee
  • 5609 replies

Hi all,

If you’re experiencing any of the above, or your app is sluggish, then your Sonos set up may be suffering from “wireless interference”. In the video, you will see how to fix this annoying issue, and get back to listening to your favorite tunes, uninterrupted.

Feel free to let us know how to get along with the video. If you need any further assistance, we’re ready to help! :D

Please note that we also have a support article explaining how to change the wireless channel here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219

Still having problems? Grab a diagnostic and add it to your reply.

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android
From the Sonos music menu, touch Settings > Advanced Settings menu > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC
Select Submit Diagnostics from the Help menu.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I’m having terrible trouble with Spotify the last few days. Tracks skip or stop completely. It’s random, and doesn’t appear to happen when there’s other massive activity on my home WiFi. It’s infuriaiting. I have had several email exchanges with Sonos but haven’t nailed the problem.

My system is Plusnet router, usual speed around 30Mbps.
Bridge - Ethernet connected to router
Connect
Connect Amp
Pair of Play 1s
2 play 3s
Play 5

Yesterday I was asked to change the Ethernet cable running to the bridge, which I did. I notice today that the bridge is listed as not connected on my router’s device table. Could anyone look at my system and see if it’s running in wireless mode?
Is anything else wrong?

Diagnostic 857893844

I’ve been a Sonos customer since the mid 2000s and have never been as frustrated with it as I am now.

Hi David,

There appears to be a bit of interference making it hard for your BRIDGE to stay in communication with some of your speakers. This may explain the audio issues you've described. Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using and see if that helps.
I suffer from this issue, to the point where I am about to just give up on Sonos as a platform. It's just too poor, particularly with a Spotify connection. I have a bridge + Connect, and I've tried everything from changing wifi channels, to switching back to Sonos Net and it's just a joke. Meanwhile I can stream 4K netflix to every tv in the house, and yet I have interference for a crappy Spotify stream? Come on - this seems more like poor software than wifi interference?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I suffer from this issue, to the point where I am about to just give up on Sonos as a platform. It's just too poor, particularly with a Spotify connection. I have a bridge + Connect, and I've tried everything from changing wifi channels, to switching back to Sonos Net and it's just a joke. Meanwhile I can stream 4K netflix to every tv in the house, and yet I have interference for a crappy Spotify stream? Come on - this seems more like poor software than wifi interference?

This thread is for along resolved issue that affected a lot of users. Most likely your problem isn't related even if the symptoms are the same. I suggest you start your own thread describing your set-up and the problem with any error messages you get. Also, submit a diagnostic shortly after the problem occurs and post the number in that thread
Will do, thanks Stuart_W
Hi,

I've added a Play:5 and rearranged my Play:1s a bit.

I now have frequent cut outs on the furthest Play:1.
I ran a diagnostic under: 1761403263

In addition, I have connected a Turntable via a preamp to the Line in on the Play:5
Haven't gotten Autoplay to work properly and sometimes after starting playback from Line In manually it stops after a few seconds.

Any tips on what to improve here?
Hi,

I've added a Play:5 and rearranged my Play:1s a bit.

I now have frequent cut outs on the furthest Play:1.
I ran a diagnostic under: 1761403263

In addition, I have connected a Turntable via a preamp to the Line in on the Play:5
Haven't gotten Autoplay to work properly and sometimes after starting playback from Line In manually it stops after a few seconds.

Any tips on what to improve here?

lobochrome,

Try connecting one of your Sonos devices to your routers ethernet ports and run all your devices on SonosNet. See the switching instructions below. Make sure the SonosNet channel is also different to the one in use by your routers 2.4ghz band. In fact try to set them at least five channels apart.

Switching from Standard WiFi to Boost Mode and vice versa
CLICK HERE for the switch procedure.
I have been getting continued drops both on Tunein & Spotify.

Can you please review my diagnostic - 1634660299

Thanks
Userlevel 2
Diagnostic submitted - 427706467

I have recently changed my router to a TP Deco mesh system which has dramatically improved WiFi coverage through my home.

However despite re-setting up my Sonos system from scratch and in boost set up with the bridge wired to the main deco, I’m getting continual drop outs, unable to find Sonos system, unable to connect to music services and so on.

I’ve tried changing Sonosnet channels to no avail.

Please review my diagnostic. Thanks
I have been getting continued drops both on Tunein & Spotify.

Can you please review my diagnostic - 1634660299

Thanks

I can’t see your diagnostic as I’m not part of Sonos. I’m just a user like yourself, but to get your diagnostic reviewed quickly, it’s best to go to @SonosSupport on Twitter, as the Support Staff there are 24/7 and hopefully someone there will help you out.
Hello

I have tried setting the channels on router and sononet. Still having connection problem with my Playbase.

Diagnostic: 1617445095.

Cheers

Dylan
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Dyl. Please distance your BRIDGE from anything electronic or wireless enabled. In addition, go to Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Wireless Setup -> Next -> Do Not Enter the Password -> Tap RESET. Having done this, please test the system further and submit further diagnostics should the issue persist. Many thanks.
Having the same problem. Have you maybe tried thinking that it has something to do with the (low quality?) parts that you use for Sonos? I had a Bose system in the exact same place, no problems. I use Sonos and it keeps cutting out (Spotify or radio).

My diagnostic is 2024785776
If no solution is found, I'm afraid I will send it back to the place of purchase and use the money to buy another Bose.
Thanks Ed.

Tried what you have suggested. Should i re-enter my wifi password or leave it off wifi? My bridge is connected to Modem so only so far i can move it...

Still not working. Get the orange flashing light and no sound when pushing sync button on Playbase. After about 5 mins it goes solid orange, then to white flashing and then off.

Diagnostic 556837417.

Cheers.

Hi, Dyl. Please distance your BRIDGE from anything electronic or wireless enabled. In addition, go to Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Wireless Setup -> Next -> Do Not Enter the Password -> Tap RESET. Having done this, please test the system further and submit further diagnostics should the issue persist. Many thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Having the same problem. Have you maybe tried thinking that it has something to do with the (low quality?) parts that you use for Sonos? I had a Bose system in the exact same place, no problems. I use Sonos and it keeps cutting out (Spotify or radio).

My diagnostic is 2024785776
If no solution is found, I'm afraid I will send it back to the place of purchase and use the money to buy another Bose.

Hi there, Yarons. Thanks for posting your question. There is another access point in your vicinity that is occupying the exact same frequency as the one being used for your Sonos system. More the point, it is actually providing a more powerful signal than the access point in use for Sonos. Quality and price of part has little to do with the basic principles of WiFi technology- so this is largely inconsequential in this instance.

To use an analogy, think of these frequencies as lanes on a motorway. Whether you are driving a car worth 200 euros or 200,000 euros, a congested lane is still a congested lane. Perhaps this "lane" wasn't quite as busy when you were using Bose- I can only speculate. However, any speaker that works with the same technology, in the same way, used in these particular circumstances, would encounter precisely the same issue.

If these access points are all yours; "Proximus Smart Wi-Fi" (of which there are several)- you would need to move them all to a separate channel than the one being used for Sonos. You could have them on 1 and 6, with Sonos on 11. You would need a WiFi scanner to best determine precisely which ones to use. Let us know if you require any further clarification.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Ed.

Tried what you have suggested. Should i re-enter my wifi password or leave it off wifi? My bridge is connected to Modem so only so far i can move it...

Still not working. Get the orange flashing light and no sound when pushing sync button on Playbase. After about 5 mins it goes solid orange, then to white flashing and then off.

Diagnostic 556837417.

Cheers.

No problem at all, Dyl. The updated diagnostic does look a bit better, though there is still something generating interference. Luckily, there's some further information in this diagnostic that I did not have before. The issue might stem from the fact that your Sonos system is on the same channel as a network called "TP-LINK_5BE5". If you change your Sonosnet channel to 1, this should help matters.

To answer your question, no- we need not enter the password anymore.

Lastly, if you still find yourself struggling, you're welcome to get back to me here- though it may be beneficial to get in touch with one of our agents via telephone for some real-time troubleshooting. Thanks, Dyl!
Thanks Ed. TP Link is my router and I had set it to a different channel. I have tried this again, but no difference.

Keith is having a look at latest diagnostic: 460403425. Via another thread. If you have any other ideas, I would be keen to hear them.

Cheers
Unfortunately, my Sonos System (3 Play:1 and 2 Play:3) is still cutting out after following the instructions, would be great if you could check my diagnostics as well 🙂 Thanks! -> 1663847588
Badge
Have not had too many issues over the past two years with the system, but have subscribed to Deezer and cannot listen to an entire song without it dropping out (single speaker in stereo pair, a room, skipping whole song, etc). Submitted diagnostics 1760005857.

Hi all,

If you’re experiencing any of the above, or your app is sluggish, then your Sonos set up may be suffering from “wireless interference”. In the video, you will see how to fix this annoying issue, and get back to listening to your favorite tunes, uninterrupted.

Feel free to let us know how to get along with the video. If you need any further assistance, we’re ready to help! :D

Please note that we also have a support article explaining how to change the wireless channel here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1230

Still having problems? Grab a diagnostic and add it to your reply.

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android
From the Sonos music menu, touch Settings > Advanced Settings menu > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC
Select Submit Diagnostics from the Help menu.

I’m playing songs from my iPhone music playlist. The songs keep skipping part way through. I tried resetting the Sonos and also my router but the problem persists. Diagnostic 443553560
No solution(s) found so far. Terrible connectivity issues -only with sonos equipment within professionally installed and maintained Wifi infra. Your confirmation number is: 326613106.
I've been having problems with sonos speakers cutting in and out. I both a connect and have tried lots of different settings but hasn't had much effect.
My diagnostic number is 810124033
Hi, looking for a little advice, I have a Sonos Bridge hardwired into my switch, My Sonos is on channel 1, the Netgear D7000 Router is on 11 and the AP is on 6. Living in a real area so there is not another wireless signal within reach, but is on channel 1 too.

The router is mounted on a stone wall in another room (office) opposite the Sonos Player (Kitchen), the Sonos Bridge is also in the office located within the server rack.

Now I'll admit being on ADSL isn't brilliant, however I never used to have an issue with dropouts. These last 2 months I've been finding the song selection skips tracks, can takes ages to load etc either within the Sonos App, or Spotify App. Couple of times my Sonos has been lost on the WiFi, so I've had to re-add it. I don't seem to be suffering any other local network issues.

Any ideas?

Can I summit Diagnostics? 749017765
Lee.
I really wish I'd seen these forums before I spend over £2000 on Sonos equipment + all the stands, brackets and man hours fixing it all up. Ofcourse when it works its wonderful, but the problem is it only works for seconds or minutes before it cuts out, constantly, it will play 3 seconds of a song, cut out, then start the next song. If I'd have known the performance was going to be this bad I'd have just wired everything together. It's rediculous - the number of people having drop out issues is huge. Every change support suggests makes no differece or makes things even worse. What conditions are these products made for? Even people that live in the country with no nieghbours wifi interfering are having problems. I despair and if the latest round of support doesnt fix it - I'll want to return the 8 devvices and demandl my money back!