Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Sonos Employee
  • 5609 replies

Hi all,

If you’re experiencing any of the above, or your app is sluggish, then your Sonos set up may be suffering from “wireless interference”. In the video, you will see how to fix this annoying issue, and get back to listening to your favorite tunes, uninterrupted.

Feel free to let us know how to get along with the video. If you need any further assistance, we’re ready to help! :D

Please note that we also have a support article explaining how to change the wireless channel here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219

Still having problems? Grab a diagnostic and add it to your reply.

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android
From the Sonos music menu, touch Settings > Advanced Settings menu > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC
Select Submit Diagnostics from the Help menu.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi Bruce, Great call. Switched off everything. Bought up router, then the ZP100. Its now streaming without stopping, which is great. Now I just need to find out why only one of the speaker outputs is working.
we have submitted diagnostics several times for our system and seem no further ahead.

when a diagnostic log is submitted, how many prior hours/days or logged events do it includes presuming you apply some form of log pruning. the reason for asking is because if I submitted each time it happens, that could be easily be multiple times in a day. Hence, if I submit once in the day, would it potentially include other recent events etc. for example, what was in (confirmation # 2117497816.)

either way, seem to be no further ahead in determining if this is a h/w or s/w issue in the sonos device.
If you don’t post in the forums, or call in to Sonos and tell them the diagnostic number, I doubt that anyone would look at the data. Since there is no text field included, it’s unlikely that they know what they are looking for. I’d recommend calling in with the diagnostic number after submitting it, and open a dialog, so they know what to look for.
Ever since the last update my Play:1 devices just stop playing randomly. Doesn't matter which source I'm listening to, Apple Music, Tune In, Amazon, etc. I've had no other issues or changes in my wifi network. The controller apps on my iPhone, Android phone, and PC also occasionally disconnect and can't find my devices when I've never had any problems before. I've checked the wifi channels I'm using and I'm on clear channels with very little interference. I've submitted diagnostics with confirmation number 7780334.
I have similar issues since the last update, latest music was playing I moved a song in the queue on Windows App then it stopped playing and when the speakers came back they were all ungrouped diagnostic confirmation number 2045869316.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Lucian. I would recommend changing the Sonosnet channel to 11. I can see that you have a wireless access point in close proximity to (or in) your home broadcasting on the same wireless channel as Sonos. Please try this and let us know how it goes.
Same issues, after flawless play for months I’m not getting constant track skips when in group mode

Case - 1012696154

Can you someone look into it
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issues, after flawless play for months I’m not getting constant track skips when in group mode

Case - 1012696154

Can you someone look into it

Hi there, welcome to the community. It looks like you are using multiple access points which can mean that your devices are switching from one access point to another. Devices operating on different access points are prone to grouping issues. Even when on the same access point, your devices are being subjected to wireless interference due to the fact that your guest network is generating interference as well.

Please see below:

Guest networks with antennae operating on the same frequency as your main network can generate "noise" which disrupts data from being transmitted to the main network.

This may have worked well for quite some time, however, configuration issues can emerge at any moment on an incompatible setup. If you have configured your access points, a firmware update to them may have removed these settings. I would recommend looking at this article relating to compatibility, and this one concerning Boost vs. wireless setups. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
I have a new Sonos Playbar (hardwired into router with Ethernet cable) as well as a Sonos Sub (on WiFi). When I did the initial setup everything seemed to work fine, however after a few days I noticed not much sound coming from the Sub. I did the Audio Recalibration and realized my Sub was outputting nothing in the test. I removed the Sub and re-added it to the room successful, but again no sound from the Sub during the audio setup test. I tested changing the wireless channel as well as doing a full reset of my router. I have run a diagnostic (confirmation number 728486372). Any help please? Thanks.
I have been experiencing this problem for months and it is an all-consuming blight on my listening experience. Even when I manage to get a song to play, it invariably switches to a completely different one seemingly at random within a minute. I have tried switching to channels 6 and 11 with no avail. I stream from Spotify and constantly see the pop-up saying the connection to Spotify was lost. One way to resolve this issue would be to allow us so stream locally cached Spotify files from phone or laptop, rather than always have to stream over the internet. Perhaps we can hope for this with AirPlay?

Diagnostic code is 579487317. Would be grateful if someone could take a look.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a new Sonos Playbar (hardwired into router with Ethernet cable) as well as a Sonos Sub (on WiFi). When I did the initial setup everything seemed to work fine, however after a few days I noticed not much sound coming from the Sub. I did the Audio Recalibration and realized my Sub was outputting nothing in the test. I removed the Sub and re-added it to the room successful, but again no sound from the Sub during the audio setup test. I tested changing the wireless channel as well as doing a full reset of my router. I have run a diagnostic (confirmation number 728486372). Any help please? Thanks.

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch. It appears that there may be a fault with your SUB. Please contact our support team via telephone, they will be able to conduct some further tests with you. Many thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have been experiencing this problem for months and it is an all-consuming blight on my listening experience. Even when I manage to get a song to play, it invariably switches to a completely different one seemingly at random within a minute. I have tried switching to channels 6 and 11 with no avail. I stream from Spotify and constantly see the pop-up saying the connection to Spotify was lost. One way to resolve this issue would be to allow us so stream locally cached Spotify files from phone or laptop, rather than always have to stream over the internet. Perhaps we can hope for this with AirPlay?

Hi, BishDish. Your Homespot and printer appear to be generating WiFi interference which is knocking your system out of kilter. Can you try disabling these as a test, then let me know how it works from there?

Hi, BishDish. Your Homespot and printer appear to be generating WiFi interference which is knocking your system out of kilter. Can you try disabling these as a test, then let me know how it works from there?

Thanks for the response. A bit perplexed as I don’t own a printer, but the homespot is unfortunately mandated by my ISP and I’m not sure if it can be turned off. I’ll try.
Userlevel 1
Folks i am having the same problem as some people above. My Play 1 & 5 are cutting out only when in group mode. Can you review my diagnostic please - 161428641 - Its very frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Folks i am having the same problem as some people above. My Play 1 & 5 are cutting out only when in group mode. Can you review my diagnostic please - 161428641 - Its very frustrating.

Hi Brian_134,

Your Sonos speakers are losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. This is likely due to wireless interference. It looks like there are a couple wireless networks in range running on the same wireless channel as your router. This is making it hard for your speakers to keep the music streams going and can likely be fixed by changing your router's wireless channel to 1 or 6, which are less crowded.
Userlevel 1

Hi Brian_134,

Your Sonos speakers are losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. This is likely due to wireless interference. It looks like there are a couple wireless networks in range running on the same wireless channel as your router. This is making it hard for your speakers to keep the music streams going and can likely be fixed by changing your router's wireless channel to 1 or 6, which are less crowded.

Thanks Jeff, i'll monitor the networks in my area to see what channel they are broadcasting on and adjust as needed.

Some questions though, why is the sound only dropping in group mode? Surely the sound should drop in single mode also? I've checked the logs on other devices and none of them are losing connection to my network except for my Sonos setup and this has only started to happen in the last 3 or so months, only device added to the network in that time was an Echo Dot.

Thanks,
Brian
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Brian_134,

Thanks Jeff, i'll monitor the networks in my area to see what channel they are broadcasting on and adjust as needed.

Some questions though, why is the sound only dropping in group mode? Surely the sound should drop in single mode also? I've checked the logs on other devices and none of them are losing connection to my network except for my Sonos setup and this has only started to happen in the last 3 or so months, only device added to the network in that time was an Echo Dot.

Thanks,
Brian

Playing to a group uses more bandwidth than playing to just one speaker. It's possible that the interference is low enough to only cause issues when playing to multiple speakers.
Badge
Getting tired of fighting this issue. Speakers randomly drop out of Sonos app. Phone sees all speakers, but PC is missing one. Reset controller, reset devices, reconnect via cable. PC sees all speakers, but phone only sees one. ??? Unplug everything and try again. Now it works for a while, but for how long?

Irritating. Nothing else in the house has issues. Lights connect, refrigerator connects, garage door openers online, everything else working just fine. Getting to the point where I'll just plug in the Sonos stuff with Cat5 and leave 'em wired. Sonos stuff doesn't seem very tolerant of other equipment being on the same wifi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Getting tired of fighting this issue. Speakers randomly drop out of Sonos app. Phone sees all speakers, but PC is missing one. Reset controller, reset devices, reconnect via cable. PC sees all speakers, but phone only sees one. ??? Unplug everything and try again. Now it works for a while, but for how long?

Irritating. Nothing else in the house has issues. Lights connect, refrigerator connects, garage door openers online, everything else working just fine. Getting to the point where I'll just plug in the Sonos stuff with Cat5 and leave 'em wired. Sonos stuff doesn't seem very tolerant of other equipment being on the same wifi.

Hi tsmith35,

There are a few things which might cause this behavior. Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app after this happens, then reply here with the confirmation number and I'll take a look.
Badge

There are a few things which might cause this behavior. Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app after this happens, then reply here with the confirmation number and I'll take a look.

I ended up doing a factory reset, then initializing as new. Seems to be working for now. Strange.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I ended up doing a factory reset, then initializing as new. Seems to be working for now. Strange.

It's good to hear that things are working. Please let me know if you run into any more issues.
Badge
I just went through the songs cutting off before ending problem. Trying to change the channel on this Apple Express was not easy and went nowhere, never got to the point of being able to do anything. Plugging the One into an ethernet connection and re-pairing with the W-FI worked. No other system on WIFI I have has had this problem including video WIFI devices which are crunching a lot more bandwith. Something is wacky with the Sonos system and hopefully it can be fixed with a software update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I just went through the songs cutting off before ending problem. Trying to change the channel on this Apple Express was not easy and went nowhere, never got to the point of being able to do anything. Plugging the One into an ethernet connection and re-pairing with the W-FI worked. No other system on WIFI I have has had this problem including video WIFI devices which are crunching a lot more bandwith. Something is wacky with the Sonos system and hopefully it can be fixed with a software update.

Hi, BikerNation. We can help you to configure your Airport Express if you give us a call. I am confident that we can get this running properly for you. Updates will do nothing to improve local WiFi connectivity but we can certainly help with that.
So It will get problem when My wifi includes 2.4G and 5G with same password? I am using netgear R6700. Please help, my code 6568818
Badge +4
I’m having terrible trouble with Spotify the last few days. Tracks skip or stop completely. It’s random, and doesn’t appear to happen when there’s other massive activity on my home WiFi. It’s infuriaiting. I have had several email exchanges with Sonos but haven’t nailed the problem.

My system is Plusnet router, usual speed around 30Mbps.
Bridge - Ethernet connected to router
Connect
Connect Amp
Pair of Play 1s
2 play 3s
Play 5

Yesterday I was asked to change the Ethernet cable running to the bridge, which I did. I notice today that the bridge is listed as not connected on my router’s device table. Could anyone look at my system and see if it’s running in wireless mode?
Is anything else wrong?

Diagnostic 857893844

I’ve been a Sonos customer since the mid 2000s and have never been as frustrated with it as I am now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So It will get problem when My wifi includes 2.4G and 5G with same password? I am using netgear R6700. Please help, my code 6568818

Hi Mark,

Your diagnostic report came through with some formatting errors making it hard to read. If you're still having issues, please send in a new report, reply here with the confirmation number, and I'll take a look.