Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Sonos Employee
  • 5609 replies

Hi all,

If you’re experiencing any of the above, or your app is sluggish, then your Sonos set up may be suffering from “wireless interference”. In the video, you will see how to fix this annoying issue, and get back to listening to your favorite tunes, uninterrupted.

Feel free to let us know how to get along with the video. If you need any further assistance, we’re ready to help! :D

Please note that we also have a support article explaining how to change the wireless channel here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219

Still having problems? Grab a diagnostic and add it to your reply.

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android
From the Sonos music menu, touch Settings > Advanced Settings menu > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC
Select Submit Diagnostics from the Help menu.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

gurbar2305

This is a thread about music cutting out. I think you want to be posting your diagnostic in the thread about TV issues, which is here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926
Hi I'm having the same issue with my system. Streaming from spotify and the music keeps cutting out, same with the tune in radio and playing music off my phone. I had submitted diagnostics 7933578. I have tried switching router channel and sonos to 1 and 11. Unplugged all the speakers and router and deleted the app, re-installed it and added the speakers back onto the network and the same issue is happening. It's starting to become very frustrating. Yesterday I had limited success with soundcloud playing but again none of the other services. Please can you look into this issue for me.

Many Thanks
Also having an issue with certain streaming services cutting out. So far this has only happened with Amazon Music and Sirius XM. Apple Music, Spotify, Concert Vault, local music, Tune-In are all fine. I have 3 Play 1's, a Playbar, 2 Connects, and a Connect Amp. Also recently added a Boost hoping to take care of the issue. While it seemed like grouping was improved, the issue wasn't solved. Configuration is using the Sonos Mesh network and not my wifi. I've tried different Sonos Net channels along with different wifi channels (operating on a mesh Amplfi HD system). Layout of the house is a 3 story + roofdeck row house. Brick exterior, drywall interior.

When the issue presents itself the music stops and won't start up again for a few minutes. During this time I can't select alternative sources either, and some of my Sonos nodes disappear. Not sure if it is related, but I do sometimes have audio drop outs (though not full cut outs) running audio from my Playbar to a Play 1 installed in my bathroom. Last time it dropped was with Amazon Music and I logged this diagnostic: 7919382. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Does anyone from Sono's actually reply to these? Or is this a way for people to vent about our issues and get zero resolution?? Let's get it together Sonos!!

Sigh.

Did you even bother to read anything above your post?

Have a problem. Explain it and your system in maximum detail. Run a diagnostic. Post diagnostic number so it alerts Sonos to your problem.

Unless you think Sonos are able to read your mind and know how your system is set up.

So why not try "how to" rather than pointlessly, and stupidly, do the forum equivalent of shouting at the pigeons in the park (unless, of course, that is your hobby)
I find your reply rather offensive. I have been a Sonos customer for three years or more and I don't wish to be a "techie", I want a reliable usable system that delivers.I am looking at the forum to see if others share my frustration with the latest and quite useless release of the app. I can't get through to customer service to quote them my diagnostics ref. and get help with a failing and expensive Sonos system and I see your rant, and that's just too much. Keep it polite or go somewhere else.
I find your reply rather offensive. I have been a Sonos customer for three years or more and I don't wish to be a "techie", I want a reliable usable system that delivers.I am looking at the forum to see if others share my frustration with the latest and quite useless release of the app. I can't get through to customer service to quote them my diagnostics ref. and get help with a failing and expensive Sonos system and I see your rant, and that's just too much. Keep it polite or go somewhere else.

1) He wasn't replying to you, he was replying to someone who posted nothing but a rant; no specifics as to what he was experiencing, no system specifics, no nothing. It was harsh, but appropriate.

2) You can post your reference number here and a Sonos tech will get to it.

3) In the 9+ years I have been posting here, I can count on one hand the number of connection and/or stability problems that were not solved by eliminating IP conflicts via a network refresh, then assigning permanent IP addresses to your Sonos units via the router setup. For the refresh, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.

Assigning permanent IP addresses is a little harder, but you do not need to be a total techie to do it. You need two things, access to your router setup and the MAC address of each Sonos unit. How to access the router setup is in your router manual, and the MAC address of each Sonos is in the app under Settings->About My Sonos System. Each unit will be listed with a serial number, the MAC is the serial number minus the last two characters.
Diagnostic report 7952025

Streamed music intermittently cuts out from Deezer and TuneIn radio. When the music cuts out from TuneIn radio the Android app also loses connectivity with the speakers (2 x Play 1; 1x Play 3). All speakers are on fixed IPs through DHCP reservation at the router and one of the Play 1s is connected to the router (Sonosnet on Channel 11, normal wifi on channel 6). I have no problems when streaming my library music. Whilst this all seems to point to broadband (UK Virgin Media) and wifi issues I've had a very solid system previously, with these problems only seeming to occur since the latest update Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I experience intermittent problems with playback and I have isolated it to one of my units, my Play 5 (gen 1) purchased Nov 2009 (serial 00-0e-58-50-7c-a4:e for you Sonos people checking the diagnostics).

Checking http://ip-address:1400/status/proc/ath_rincon/phyerr this unit has consistent terrible WiFi-performance and when connected causes playback problems and the controller apps to grind to halt. Moving music between the rooms is also problematic, as is missed alarms in the mornings on other units (supposed to be playing from Spotify but I get the fall-back Sonos chime 4 days out of 5). If I disconnect this unit all is well.

The units are running on a separate 2,4 GHz wifi dedicated for Sonos (since they seem to be confused by dual 2,4 and 5 GHz networks that we use for the rest of the home and office). Network equipment from Ubiquity. All units have DHCP reservations. Unifi Controller reports 10-20% interference on the channel when the Play 5 is connected. Moved the sonos network to different channels but still same problem.

To isolate this I tried putting all 5 units in the same room as one of the APs, separated by at least 1,5 meter and checked the phyerr statistics. All units well below 250 except for this Play 5 unit that was above 2500 most of the time.

Diagnostics 7956766 submitted when they were all in the same room.

Time to retire the Play 5...?
Badge +1
The audio cutting out is getting worse for me. I swear it didn't start until a recent Sonos update (not the latest one). While watching TV using sonos 5.1 setup (playbar, sub, two play 1s) audio cuts out on the rear surrounds. It then comes back without me doing anything. I thought it was streaming music at first, or maybe an iPhone issue but now I know it's not. I uploaded a diagnostic a while back but never heard back.

My sonos is setup in BOOST configuration (playbar is plugged into ethernet) and all other speakers are using wireless. I'm wondering if I need to change the channel on my Airport extreme or something, but the boost mode mentions specifically how it helps not interfere with other devices.

It's super annoying!

edit: new diagnostic submitted: 7975298

Also, is there anything in the Sonos desktop app or iOS app that can show performance issues?
My sonos keeps cutting in and out (moreso in some rooms than others). My diagnostic number is: 7975906 Please help
Badge
I've tried just about every recommendation listed in this forum with no luck. Music on iPhone skips about every 4 to 5 mins. No issues when streaming SiriusXM, just content on my phone. My diagnostic confirmation number is 7979777.

Thanks-JLH
Userlevel 1
Same as the others. This system is CRAP! I continue to buy pieces and follow your useless suggestions, and my system gets WORSE. It used to be easy to get to a helpful person, now it's almost impossible. The 1st line people are rude and uninformed. I can google a topic faster than they can. When I need help, you're closed. My wifi is GREAT. I don't have a single problem with any wired or wifi device in my home, and I'm a heavy user. Yet, sonos can't play 5 seconds of a song without cutting out. It's embarrassing, Now you are forcing these updates on us more and more often with stupid, useless features when you should be fixing what's broken. And, take away the stupid messages that pop up every time you add a song to your queue for example...we added it...we know...we don't need a message to pop up every time and tell us what we just did. And, it's the same thing with clearing a song or queue. Its not an atomic missile launch code, it's a SONG. Quit changing mobile app devices around AND STABILIZE THE PRODUCT!!!!!!!
Badge +1
I keep posting here because I can tell you that this problem can be solved, on my basic IT troubleshooting skillset. If something works the majority of the time, then it must be fixable. It works fine most of the time, then out of nowhere the rears and the sub (not positive but pretty sure only the Playbar is left working) cut out. I don't believe it's anything to do with streaming music or what the source is, as I've noticed it while watching Fios, while watching an UHD Blu Ray, while streaming music from Sirirus, while streaming music from my wife's phone. And I swear it was not a problem until a recent update. I really hope someone is looking at the diagnostic and trying to figure it out. When I first got my Sonos, support was quick to respond here. I'm guessing theres been layoffs at Sonos, hence no more replies. Maybe I'm wrong and they are about to release some fix? BOOST configuration makes me think its nothing to do with wireless interference but I'm willing to try anything.
Hi!
Have problem with my Sonos connect that is disconnecting after som minutes of playing, after it has disconnect it flashes White and it looks like it reboots and gets back but im not sure about the reboot part. My diagnistic number is 7989841
Hello!

I am a brand new Sonos customer with 1 Play5 and 2 Play1. Thanks for the Amazon discount :)

My apartment has a "L" shape with a staircase in the middle, which was already challenging for the Wifi (since my router is at the very end of the little side) - I now use a Amplifi wifi router (mesh with 2 repeaters).

Unfortunately I experience music cut-outs with Sonos (diagnostics 7999017) in Standard Mode; not always, but frequently (daily). I know that the Standard mode is not officially supported with repeaters, but I've tried the Boost Mode (one Play1 connected with Ethernet) and it's worse - it seems that that Play1 cannot even reach the 2 other speakers at the other end of the apartment.

I wonder about my options. Should I trust that buying a Sonos Boost would be enough to allow the Boost Mode to work?
Should I buy an additional Play1 instead (nice to create a stereo pair in the bedroom), would adding a new speaker/repeater be enough to have a strong Boost Sonos mesh network?

thanks for advice
I am recently having the same issue. Diagnostics report: 8008611
Badge +1
Similar issue to above, but maybe not exactly the same? I should also say it only seems to be occurring since we moved home (i.e. changed location, router and performed a recent software update) - TV sound plays via the fibre link into the Playbar, without any interruption. Other play devices (Play1s and Play3) grouped to this same feed all suffer frequent brief interruptions (Diagnostic 8038874)
Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Badge +1
Thanks Jgatie... instructions followed and all seems good so far. Let's hope it stays that way.:8
Hi, my sonos system has become extremely unstable since the latest update. Please see review 8042496 and let me know what's going on.

Thanks!
Hi!
Still no reply on my problem and diagnostic. And my connect is still disconnecting.
I'd encourage both of you to read, and follow, jgatie's post above.
That may work if you have a simple network. I have 33 wireless devices on my WLAN. And those devices aren’t having issues. So can someone please look at the diagnostic and let me know what’s going on.
It will work if you have a complex network, as well. Or, if you prefer, you could set up reserved IP addresses for all of your Sonos devices.

The simple fact is, 99% of the time, the issue is resolved by taking that action. It's entirely possible that yours doesn't, so on Monday when the forum staff is back in the office, they will hopefully take a look. Or, you could avail yourself of the 24/7 option of contacting Sonos, which is on the www.sonos.com/contact page.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
It will work if you have a complex network, as well. Or, if you prefer, you could set up reserved IP addresses for all of your Sonos devices.

What's the recommended setup exactly? Group all Sonos in a dedicated IP range pretty far from all other devices on the same LAN? I've already worked on separating the Wifi Channels as far as possible, now looking into assigning IPs correctly.

So far, even with the two settings above, I have disconnections mid-song even playing songs in local, the playbar is wired to the router, which is wired to a NAS where the songs are stored, the rest is wifi.

At times, when I play in all rooms, the app becomes erratic and I end up having error messages on the app.

(Diagnostic 8047561) - Should I open a dedicated thread?