Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Sonos Employee
  • 5609 replies

Hi all,

If you’re experiencing any of the above, or your app is sluggish, then your Sonos set up may be suffering from “wireless interference”. In the video, you will see how to fix this annoying issue, and get back to listening to your favorite tunes, uninterrupted.

Feel free to let us know how to get along with the video. If you need any further assistance, we’re ready to help! :D

Please note that we also have a support article explaining how to change the wireless channel here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219

Still having problems? Grab a diagnostic and add it to your reply.

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android
From the Sonos music menu, touch Settings > Advanced Settings menu > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC
Select Submit Diagnostics from the Help menu.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

Userlevel 2
Does anyone from Sono's actually reply to these? Or is this a way for people to vent about our issues and get zero resolution?? Let's get it together Sonos!!
Ever since the last update my Play:1 devices just stop playing randomly. Doesn't matter which source I'm listening to, Apple Music, Tune In, Amazon, etc. I've had no other issues or changes in my wifi network. The controller apps on my iPhone, Android phone, and PC also occasionally disconnect and can't find my devices when I've never had any problems before. I've checked the wifi channels I'm using and I'm on clear channels with very little interference. I've submitted diagnostics with confirmation number 7780334.
I am having issues with multiple speakers.
Initially my system was rock solid.
I have a pair in the bedroom and i will have 1 speaker drop out of the stereo pair.
I have similar issues in other rooms, While playing music one side will drop out for 10 - 20 seconds.

If i skip a track then it sometimes takes 20 - 30 seconds for the speakers to start playing the music again.
The system used to be rock solid. I have a boost connected so it is working on Sonosnet.

I have 2 Access Points at either end of the house, Sonosnet is running on Channel 1
AP1 is running on Channel 6 and AP2 is running on Chanel 11.
I have played around with changing channels but the problem persists.

My music streaming service is on Spotify.

I have run a diagnostic and the number is 7765751.
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I do also have huge problems with my two Play:1.

Everything has worked great until a couple of days ago. Now they can't play music without huge dropouts, and it is very hard to reach them thru the app.

I have read everything, restartet everything, tried all channels, and I have not done any changes to my wireless setup. I don't have problems with noise in my wireless setup. I have a 150mbit internett connection with a fiber cable into my apartment...

Right now my sonos sytem is total useless! I postet on this forum yesterday, and no respons.

How can I get in contact with Sonos? I don't understand the support service here?

It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem and it seems that it is something "rotten" with a software update. Please fix it. Don't tell me that "your neighbour must have bought a new wireless device that changed everything..." My Play:1 is 2 meters next to the wireless ruter with nothing between them.

System diagnostic number 7808095

Please please advice!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have been experiencing this problem for months and it is an all-consuming blight on my listening experience. Even when I manage to get a song to play, it invariably switches to a completely different one seemingly at random within a minute. I have tried switching to channels 6 and 11 with no avail. I stream from Spotify and constantly see the pop-up saying the connection to Spotify was lost. One way to resolve this issue would be to allow us so stream locally cached Spotify files from phone or laptop, rather than always have to stream over the internet. Perhaps we can hope for this with AirPlay?

Diagnostic code is 579487317. Would be grateful if someone could take a look.

Hi, BishDish. Your Homespot and printer appear to be generating WiFi interference which is knocking your system out of kilter. Can you try disabling these as a test, then let me know how it works from there?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Does anyone from Sono's actually reply to these? Or is this a way for people to vent about our issues and get zero resolution?? Let's get it together Sonos!!

Sigh.

Did you even bother to read anything above your post?

Have a problem. Explain it and your system in maximum detail. Run a diagnostic. Post diagnostic number so it alerts Sonos to your problem.

Unless you think Sonos are able to read your mind and know how your system is set up.

So why not try "how to" rather than pointlessly, and stupidly, do the forum equivalent of shouting at the pigeons in the park (unless, of course, that is your hobby)
After a year of wonderful use I've now spent the last months trying to fix the track skpping problem. Is there anyone out there who can help. I've rebooted everything several times. It happens no matter where I am or who's system I'm connecting to.
Am loosing my cool a little as I've loved the system for so long and now I can't listen to any of my albums or playlists.
I live on a narrow boat and use a 4G dongle which has worked will be over a year.
I find your reply rather offensive. I have been a Sonos customer for three years or more and I don't wish to be a "techie", I want a reliable usable system that delivers.I am looking at the forum to see if others share my frustration with the latest and quite useless release of the app. I can't get through to customer service to quote them my diagnostics ref. and get help with a failing and expensive Sonos system and I see your rant, and that's just too much. Keep it polite or go somewhere else.

1) He wasn't replying to you, he was replying to someone who posted nothing but a rant; no specifics as to what he was experiencing, no system specifics, no nothing. It was harsh, but appropriate.

2) You can post your reference number here and a Sonos tech will get to it.

3) In the 9+ years I have been posting here, I can count on one hand the number of connection and/or stability problems that were not solved by eliminating IP conflicts via a network refresh, then assigning permanent IP addresses to your Sonos units via the router setup. For the refresh, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.

Assigning permanent IP addresses is a little harder, but you do not need to be a total techie to do it. You need two things, access to your router setup and the MAC address of each Sonos unit. How to access the router setup is in your router manual, and the MAC address of each Sonos is in the app under Settings->About My Sonos System. Each unit will be listed with a serial number, the MAC is the serial number minus the last two characters.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I have been experiencing constant dropouts since the last software update. I do not have wireless issues with any of my other wireless clients - even those streaming UHD and HD video. I also didn’t have any of these problems prior to the aforementioned update.

Really nice timing guys. You’ve definitely left a bad impression with my out-of-town guests this holiday weekend.

Diagnostic number: 8122644
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Again this sounds like IP address conflict.

Assign new static ip addresses to each or turn off all your network devices and reboot router to clear the offending device(s).
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
HI there,

While I generally don’t have issues playing music I do pretty regularly experience skipping to the next track when attempting to play podcasts. Specifically I attempt too play a 3 hour podcast on a daily basis and it will consistantly skip several times throughout requiring me to start over. Often times it will skip as bad as once every 15 minutes or so too. Needl;ess to say this is infuriating and ffectively makes my Sonos system useless for podcasts.

My system consists of 2 Play 5’s and 6 Play 1’s here while I have one of the Play 5’s connected directly through ethernet to my router. I’ve tried all 3 of the Sonos net channels many different times over the past several months and none seem any better than the others.

Dignostic number is 8431816.

Any help here would be much apprecviated. Happy too provide any further info nccessary to troubleshoot as well. Much thanks.

-Dom
i have submitted a diagnostic report, 8447538 . i would be grateful if i could egt some much need assistance
Userlevel 1
Hi Bruce, Great call. Switched off everything. Bought up router, then the ZP100. Its now streaming without stopping, which is great. Now I just need to find out why only one of the speaker outputs is working.
If you don’t post in the forums, or call in to Sonos and tell them the diagnostic number, I doubt that anyone would look at the data. Since there is no text field included, it’s unlikely that they know what they are looking for. I’d recommend calling in with the diagnostic number after submitting it, and open a dialog, so they know what to look for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Lucian. I would recommend changing the Sonosnet channel to 11. I can see that you have a wireless access point in close proximity to (or in) your home broadcasting on the same wireless channel as Sonos. Please try this and let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a new Sonos Playbar (hardwired into router with Ethernet cable) as well as a Sonos Sub (on WiFi). When I did the initial setup everything seemed to work fine, however after a few days I noticed not much sound coming from the Sub. I did the Audio Recalibration and realized my Sub was outputting nothing in the test. I removed the Sub and re-added it to the room successful, but again no sound from the Sub during the audio setup test. I tested changing the wireless channel as well as doing a full reset of my router. I have run a diagnostic (confirmation number 728486372). Any help please? Thanks.

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch. It appears that there may be a fault with your SUB. Please contact our support team via telephone, they will be able to conduct some further tests with you. Many thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Folks i am having the same problem as some people above. My Play 1 & 5 are cutting out only when in group mode. Can you review my diagnostic please - 161428641 - Its very frustrating.

Hi Brian_134,

Your Sonos speakers are losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. This is likely due to wireless interference. It looks like there are a couple wireless networks in range running on the same wireless channel as your router. This is making it hard for your speakers to keep the music streams going and can likely be fixed by changing your router's wireless channel to 1 or 6, which are less crowded.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Folks i am having the same problem as some people above. My Play 1 & 5 are cutting out only when in group mode. Can you review my diagnostic please - 161428641 - Its very frustrating.

Hi Brian_134,

Your Sonos speakers are losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. This is likely due to wireless interference. It looks like there are a couple wireless networks in range running on the same wireless channel as your router. This is making it hard for your speakers to keep the music streams going and can likely be fixed by changing your router's wireless channel to 1 or 6, which are less crowded.

Thanks Jeff, i'll monitor the networks in my area to see what channel they are broadcasting on and adjust as needed.

Some questions though, why is the sound only dropping in group mode? Surely the sound should drop in single mode also? I've checked the logs on other devices and none of them are losing connection to my network except for my Sonos setup and this has only started to happen in the last 3 or so months, only device added to the network in that time was an Echo Dot.

Thanks,
Brian

Playing to a group uses more bandwidth than playing to just one speaker. It's possible that the interference is low enough to only cause issues when playing to multiple speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I’m having terrible trouble with Spotify the last few days. Tracks skip or stop completely. It’s random, and doesn’t appear to happen when there’s other massive activity on my home WiFi. It’s infuriaiting. I have had several email exchanges with Sonos but haven’t nailed the problem.

My system is Plusnet router, usual speed around 30Mbps.
Bridge - Ethernet connected to router
Connect
Connect Amp
Pair of Play 1s
2 play 3s
Play 5

Yesterday I was asked to change the Ethernet cable running to the bridge, which I did. I notice today that the bridge is listed as not connected on my router’s device table. Could anyone look at my system and see if it’s running in wireless mode?
Is anything else wrong?

Diagnostic 857893844

I’ve been a Sonos customer since the mid 2000s and have never been as frustrated with it as I am now.

Hi David,

There appears to be a bit of interference making it hard for your BRIDGE to stay in communication with some of your speakers. This may explain the audio issues you've described. Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using and see if that helps.
I suffer from this issue, to the point where I am about to just give up on Sonos as a platform. It's just too poor, particularly with a Spotify connection. I have a bridge + Connect, and I've tried everything from changing wifi channels, to switching back to Sonos Net and it's just a joke. Meanwhile I can stream 4K netflix to every tv in the house, and yet I have interference for a crappy Spotify stream? Come on - this seems more like poor software than wifi interference?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I suffer from this issue, to the point where I am about to just give up on Sonos as a platform. It's just too poor, particularly with a Spotify connection. I have a bridge + Connect, and I've tried everything from changing wifi channels, to switching back to Sonos Net and it's just a joke. Meanwhile I can stream 4K netflix to every tv in the house, and yet I have interference for a crappy Spotify stream? Come on - this seems more like poor software than wifi interference?

This thread is for along resolved issue that affected a lot of users. Most likely your problem isn't related even if the symptoms are the same. I suggest you start your own thread describing your set-up and the problem with any error messages you get. Also, submit a diagnostic shortly after the problem occurs and post the number in that thread
I have been getting continued drops both on Tunein & Spotify.

Can you please review my diagnostic - 1634660299

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Dyl. Please distance your BRIDGE from anything electronic or wireless enabled. In addition, go to Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Wireless Setup -> Next -> Do Not Enter the Password -> Tap RESET. Having done this, please test the system further and submit further diagnostics should the issue persist. Many thanks.
I never had any problems with my Sonos system until the 9.0 update. Now it's all but unusable from my iOS devices. Constant music skipping, changing songs, cutting out. I've tried Boost mode with a connect, streaming through wireless, changing the wifi channel, even setting up a dedicated 2.4ghz network - in short all the stuff and more recommended to fix poor wireless performance. As a stopgap I'm using the MacOS app, but it's a lot less convenient. Any other ideas?
Having a big problem with music skips. The only time this happens is music sourced from my phone. Pandora plays fine. I have an Iphone X for the controller and music. Sonos setup is a Boost with a play 3 in the same room not connected. I also have a playbar with a sub. There is one Play 1, another Play 3, and a Connect on another floor. The Boost and 3 are in the same room as the Modem/Router. The boost is a good three feet away from the router and the play 3 is about a foot. I have Xfinity with their mesh pods so wifi is strong throughout the house. Diagnostic is 1662108366

Thank you!