Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Sonos Employee
  • 5609 replies

Hi all,

If you’re experiencing any of the above, or your app is sluggish, then your Sonos set up may be suffering from “wireless interference”. In the video, you will see how to fix this annoying issue, and get back to listening to your favorite tunes, uninterrupted.

Feel free to let us know how to get along with the video. If you need any further assistance, we’re ready to help! :D

Please note that we also have a support article explaining how to change the wireless channel here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219

Still having problems? Grab a diagnostic and add it to your reply.

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android
From the Sonos music menu, touch Settings > Advanced Settings menu > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC
Select Submit Diagnostics from the Help menu.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I find my Sonos system stops working when I am using IP TV - I believe this is due to a STP (spanning tree protocol) issue but I've not identified a solution to it.
Userlevel 2
Diagnostics submitted.(7769777) My sonos playbar and (2) play 1's are cutting out. One of the play ones makes a weird clicking noise. Some assistance would be appreciated. Thanks
I am having issues with multiple speakers.
Initially my system was rock solid.
I have a pair in the bedroom and i will have 1 speaker drop out of the stereo pair.
I have similar issues in other rooms, While playing music one side will drop out for 10 - 20 seconds.

If i skip a track then it sometimes takes 20 - 30 seconds for the speakers to start playing the music again.
The system used to be rock solid. I have a boost connected so it is working on Sonosnet.

I have 2 Access Points at either end of the house, Sonosnet is running on Channel 1
AP1 is running on Channel 6 and AP2 is running on Chanel 11.
I have played around with changing channels but the problem persists.

My music streaming service is on Spotify.

I have run a diagnostic and the number is 7765751.
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Ever since the last update my Play:1 devices just stop playing randomly. Doesn't matter which source I'm listening to, Apple Music, Tune In, Amazon, etc. I've had no other issues or changes in my wifi network. The controller apps on my iPhone, Android phone, and PC also occasionally disconnect and can't find my devices when I've never had any problems before. I've checked the wifi channels I'm using and I'm on clear channels with very little interference. I've submitted diagnostics with confirmation number 7780334.
Userlevel 2
Does anyone from Sono's actually reply to these? Or is this a way for people to vent about our issues and get zero resolution?? Let's get it together Sonos!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Does anyone from Sono's actually reply to these? Or is this a way for people to vent about our issues and get zero resolution?? Let's get it together Sonos!!

Sigh.

Did you even bother to read anything above your post?

Have a problem. Explain it and your system in maximum detail. Run a diagnostic. Post diagnostic number so it alerts Sonos to your problem.

Unless you think Sonos are able to read your mind and know how your system is set up.

So why not try "how to" rather than pointlessly, and stupidly, do the forum equivalent of shouting at the pigeons in the park (unless, of course, that is your hobby)
Userlevel 2
I've already sent them a diagnostic and explained the issue several days ago. With of course no reply.

Moderator Note: Removed profanity
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I've already sent them a diagnostic and explained the issue several days ago. With of course no reply.

Moderator Note: Removed profanity

Hi adam-jack34, my apologies for getting a late reply to your outreach. I've reviewed the diagnostic from your original post and can see the error for a PLAYBAR issue being discussed in a different thread. I have flagged your system for an update that should help. Please run the update and let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Gavilan – Welcome to the community and thank you for posting all of that information as well as the diagnostic. There is a high amount of wireless interference around the BOOST at your location, which could be contributed to the problem. As you’ve already changed channels, can you let us know what other devices are within a five to ten foot radius of the BOOST? What kind of surface is the BOOST sitting on?

azumafuji – Welcome to the community as well. Thank you for passing along the diagnostic as it’s allowed me to determine the root cause. One of PLAY:1s is connecting to a wireless repeater/extender at your location while the other is connecting directly to the wireless router. Although network extenders are great for passing certain network traffic, they don't reliably pass all network traffic. We advise using the BOOST setup when network repeaters or extenders are present. Is it possible to permanently wire one of the PLAY:1s to the router at your location?

My apologies extend to you as well for getting a late reply to your posts.
Userlevel 2
Thank you!
Thanks for the response. This was very helpful.
The boost is on top of a cabinet that is about 3 foot high.
I have an Xclaim AP that is about 2 feet from the boost.
I also have a cordless phone near there but it is not one that works on 2.4Ghz.

I will move it to a new location tonight is it OK to be near other Sonos Players? do they cause any interference?
Does the bosst create a true mesh network where the boost only needs to be near one player that can complete the connections to the other players as long as they are relatively near to one another?

Thank yo so much for your response.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Thanks for the response. This was very helpful.
The boost is on top of a cabinet that is about 3 foot high.
I have an Xclaim AP that is about 2 feet from the boost.
I also have a cordless phone near there but it is not one that works on 2.4Ghz.

I will move it to a new location tonight is it OK to be near other Sonos Players? do they cause any interference?
Does the bosst create a true mesh network where the boost only needs to be near one player that can complete the connections to the other players as long as they are relatively near to one another?

Thank yo so much for your response.

As a general best practice we advise to make sure the BOOST or any other Sonos player have about two to three feet of space when near another device broadcasting a wireless signal. Moving the BOOST next to another player shouldn't be an issue, but I would still advise having a bit of space between them. Since moving the BOOST have you noticed an improvement?

Yes, the BOOST and any other Sonos player that is wired to the network will create a true wireless mesh network (BOOST Setup) for all other Sonos players to communicate over.
Suffering similar issues but only recently in the past 1/2 weeks, system has been stable prior to this (Play1 and Play3, separate downstairs rooms). Nothing in my home wireless set-up has changed but the App lags heavily at times and speakers are cutting out intermittently - every 5-10 seconds for around 1-2 seconds. Would appreciate any advise please?

Any known issues with latest software update?

Diagnostics 7791984.

Many thanks.
As a guess, you may have been exposed to duplicate IP addresses when updating to 7.4, which forces the speakers to do a soft reboot.

I'd recommend that you unplug your speakers, then reboot your router. Wait a couple of minutes for the router to finish rebooting, then go to the closest Sonos speaker and plug it in. Again, wait a couple of minutes for it to finish booting up, then move on to the next speaker.

If that fails, it's possible that a neighbor has installed something new that's causing interference in your existing wifi, so going through the FAQ on that might be helpful as well.
I have similar issues). Nothing in my home wireless set-up has changed but the App and my macbook lags heavily at times and speakers are cutting out intermittently - every 5-10 seconds for around 1-2 seconds. Sonos boxes will disappear form my phone and macbook as well. This happened all after installing the latest version of Sonos. I have 2 play 1, and 2 play 5 boxes. At the moment I only see and hear 1 box, and cannot add other boxes. Very frustrating.

Would appreciate any support to solve this issue, my diagnostic report number 7794697. Thank you in advance
Hi

I have changed my wireless channel on my router to 1, 6 & 11 but still I get my speakers vanishing and music dropping from them. It's driving me crazy and I am ready to give up and sell them if this cannot be fixed. It never used to happen until the last update??

I have submitted a diagnostics report - Number 7809007

I would appreciate it very much if you could look into this and provide a solution please?

Thanks
I do also have huge problems with my two Play:1.

Everything has worked great until a couple of days ago. Now they can't play music without huge dropouts, and it is very hard to reach them thru the app.

I have read everything, restartet everything, tried all channels, and I have not done any changes to my wireless setup. I don't have problems with noise in my wireless setup. I have a 150mbit internett connection with a fiber cable into my apartment...

Right now my sonos sytem is total useless! I postet on this forum yesterday, and no respons.

How can I get in contact with Sonos? I don't understand the support service here?

It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem and it seems that it is something "rotten" with a software update. Please fix it. Don't tell me that "your neighbour must have bought a new wireless device that changed everything..." My Play:1 is 2 meters next to the wireless ruter with nothing between them.

System diagnostic number 7808095

Please please advice!
I get no sound from my playbar. My TV is basically mute right now. I get no sound with any channel. Sometime is does work, but when I switch to a different channel the sound goes away. Help!!! My confirmation number is: 7815470
I think your issue and associated diagnostic would be better posted in this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926

Play1 dropping audio frequently. Should all be running ethernet but still dropping out. Seems to just be Kitchen Play1 which is odd.
After a year of wonderful use I've now spent the last months trying to fix the track skpping problem. Is there anyone out there who can help. I've rebooted everything several times. It happens no matter where I am or who's system I'm connecting to.
Am loosing my cool a little as I've loved the system for so long and now I can't listen to any of my albums or playlists.
I live on a narrow boat and use a 4G dongle which has worked will be over a year.
I am finding the play 1s are dropping out and just the playbar is working, about 10-15 sec later the play1s kick back in.
I have submitted a diagnostics report 7867441.
Hi I have followed instructions and have reset the wireless channel to resolve issues with a paried set of play 5s using line in. This has not worked and have submitted diagnostic 7882152. It was on channel 11. It's now on channel 1. Please let me know what you find.
Thanks
Kyle
"Connection to Spotify was lost" This error message comes when i try to play from Spotify and the music stops, but only on my play 5 1. gen. I have a playbase and a play 1. And they can play spotify with out any problems. I can also play Tidal on the play 5 . Can you help ?. I have had this problem for months. Diagnostic 7882443
When I'm play an app on the TV such as Netflix or youtube, the sound cuts out for a while and then returns. This is happening regularly. I tried resetting the tv, and changed the optical cord but no change.

I have submitted a diagnostics report : 7886076